Help - removing external BB cups

frostbite

Likes Dirt
I need some advice. Im trying to swap over my cranks from truvativ stylo to shimano xt. Ive gotten the cranks off, and I'm trying to remove the external GXP BB. Ive got a park tools external cup remover tool thing which fits the notches on the external cups perfectly. I have checked to make sure I am undoing the cups (checked the arrow on each cup) but I cannot get them to budge.

Any advice? i have tried tapping it with the rubber mallet too but that didnt acheive anything. I have seriously put all my body weight into this and the bloody things wont move. Any tips?

They were installed by my LBS about 9-12 months ago so I assume they greased the threads etc correctly.

mayo

Likes Bikes and Dirt
try using a metal pipe or pvc pipe over the tool to give you more levarage if that doesnt work time to see your lbs

frostbite

Likes Dirt
The closest i had to a metal pipe was a vacuum cleaner pipe.. which is now deformed. Is it standard practice to put loctite on these threads or something? This thing has seriously not moved a millimetre since I started on it over an hour ago.

S!C!E!R!

Banned
Go down toy your local hardware store and get a offcut of steel pipe to use a lever...

Don't say that you are using it as a lever over a socket arm...

Leverage FTW...

frostbite

Likes Dirt
Just got them undone. I have a can of WD40 that I've used to loosen rusted bolts on my car before, so sprayed that on, was going to let it sit for a bit but decided I would give it one more try... got the mangled vacuum cleaner pipe and gave it the mother of all shoves and it broke free. The drive side was a little easier.
Thanks for your help guys.

edit - and the vacuum cleaner pipe has been salvaged as well now.. bit munted but OK.

L.P.

Likes Bikes and Dirt
when theyre really tight, i use an old rear QR skewer through the bb, with large washer on each side, just to keep the tool perfectly lined up, cant slip off. you can do this with a long bolt or anything.... makes it a lot easier to put more pressure on the lever, if you dont have to hold the tool on.

obviously only works if there is a hole in the centre of your tool, like for a socket. some do, some dont.