Food/Diet Help, Weight loss has stalled.

SF Trailboy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Well tried a day of fasting.
5 Coffees over the day and a plum for lunch and lots of water.

Got home (relaxed Commute ride) and was down to 84.1. best prev lowest was 85.3.

I expect most of it was sugars (liquid) but hopefully not all of it. Will feedback after tomorrow.

Trying 2 days this week. Tues and Thur.

Training ride tomorrow (60km road) and Friday night have a 110km MTB ride.

Will be gutted if I don't loose something.
Do the opposite as well. I know a mate who every few weeks smashes food (all healthy - ie eats 1500kj more per day than normal) for 3 or 4 days to re fire his metabolism. He is pretty heavily invested in his fitness and I am sure his trainer has info on the science behind this but I generally turn off when he starts banging on about it- hence why I still qualify for the Clydesdale category. He went from 100kg to 78 odd in 12 months following this Load/CUT nutrition plan.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
That's called the rainbow approach. Eat anything, everything and at random eating patterns.

Healthy/junk - famine/feast.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Interesting day today. 60km ride and felt as flat as a pancake, Not surprising really.

Got home after work and weighed myself. 83.5kg. Just on 2kg so far from one day fasting.

Still a little skeptical but will wait and see tomorrow.

Was going to fast tomorrow except have a 100km MTB ride on friday which could be severely hampered by the fasting so will skip till next week.

stirk

Burner
Fasting to lose weight will show loss on the scales but are you weighing the waste to offset the apparent loss?

Fasting is surely not a good mentally healthy way to lose weight.

You may be sticking fingers down your throat to throw up perfectly good food for the sake of losing weight.

Also think of other offsets such as losing fat but gaining muscle.

At 42 if you can see one bottle in that six pack be happy with where you are! That's gotta be a heathly trim.

Selfie time.......

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Over the last 3-4 years I have been working on getting my weight down. Started over the 110kg mark and now around the 90kg mark.

Last year my race weight (Endurance) was around 93kg however managed to get into the top 10 on all races (just).

Last 4 months I have been working on getting down to 80kg but have found that things have stalled at the 85kg mark.

Body fat is around 18-20%. diet tends to consist of
Oats and natural yogurt. Good sized bowl.
Regular leafy salad for lunch, No pastas or pototoes etc.
dinner is a vegetable/met stirfry, indian etc. No rice etc.
Occasional piece of fruit during the day

My only vice are flat whites, no sugar.

Things were ticking along great until the 85kg mark then weight has stopped coming off.

Was going to try fasting a few days a week to try and get past this.

Ideas/ Thoughts?
Have you considered mixing up your meals? 3 things come to mind:
- eat the bigger meal at lunch or breakfast time and the leaves for dinner
- eat more often in small portions. Maybe 5 small meals across the day (eg 2 boiled eggs for breakfast, mid morning fruit, stir fry lunch, yoghurt mid arvo, leaves dinner). Get some salmon or tuna in there as well and lentils beans etc...the high fibre stuff.
- a small amount of carbs won't hurt. Just don't go for processed stuff. Im a fan of brown rice as it leaves me full and helps reduce my overall food intake.

Don't hate on coffee. Just cut from flat white to piccolo or macchiato or pure espresso.

I could do with a reduction in the alcohol I suspect.

Whist I don't drink Monday to Thursday I will have a couple ( 3 or 4 tops) on fri and sat nite but sunday is the the worst when anxiety about the coming week sets in. The grog alleviates the anxiousness for a little while but I suspect it comes back bigger than ben hur in the evening and of course alcohol contributes to poor sleep so its kind of a double down.

funny thing is I don't have any reason to be overly anxious.

I really need to find a better way to chill.
Sunday night rides...anxiety never makes sense, if it did it wouldn't be a problem.

- eat more often in small portions. Maybe 5 small meals across the day (eg 2 boiled eggs for breakfast, mid morning fruit, stir fry lunch, yoghurt mid arvo, leaves dinner). Get some salmon or tuna in there as well and lentils beans etc...the high fibre stuff.
- a small amount of carbs won't hurt. Just don't go for processed stuff. Im a fan of brown rice as it leaves me full and helps reduce my overall food

Sunday night rides...anxiety never makes sense, if it did it wouldn't be a problem.
I'm a big fan of brown rice, I always take that option if it is available.

Exercise is a great management strategy.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Thanks for everyone's contributions so far.

Whilst I am a little skeptical about fasting in order to loose the last few kg's I do need to clarify its is not to fix a symptom. My weight has been managed in a good range for a few years now by good eating and exercise, Something I don't plan to let slip.

I have little doubt that once reaching 80kg (79.9) that i should be able to maintain it. The fasting in context is overall no worse than long term starving. I have tried it (one day) and woke this morning 2 days later still weighing around the 83.5 so for reaching a goal it seems effective.

I would not condone it as a fix all if I was still at 110kg and had no intention of improving diet or exercise. That is where fasting would be used to address the symptom and not the problem.

Will try another few days next week and hopefully will be pretty close.

Stay tuned.

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
- a small amount of carbs won't hurt. Just don't go for processed stuff. Im a fan of brown rice as it leaves me full and helps reduce my overall food intake.

Don't hate on coffee. Just cut from flat white to piccolo or macchiato or pure espresso.

Thanks Pink Poodle.
Yeah. Tend to aim for Higher GI/Carbs earlier on in the day and finish with lower GI and vege's at dinner.

From a calorie POV its def large to small, Another source of calories would be the salad dressing. Enjoy ceaser salads and other seafood/meat salads.

I like it with the wild rice mixed through it .

Rice doesn't really taste like much, I like the texture of it over the white stuff.

I'm not a believer of the "carbs are the food of the devil", but I guess I have no desire to look like a calvin klein underwear model (not implying that OP is). I'd rather have the performance during the activities I like and the byproducts are what they are.

BMI = BS

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Thanks Pink Poodle.
Yeah. Tend to aim for Higher GI/Carbs earlier on in the day and finish with lower GI and vege's at dinner.

From a calorie POV its def large to small, Another source of calories would be the salad dressing. Enjoy ceaser salads and other seafood/meat salads.
You put reading on your salad and are choosing to starve to drop a few grams??? This confuses me muchly, surely the closest thing to dressng you should have on there would be something like balsamic vinegar or lemon juice, maybe a little (olive) oil if you oil/fat intake is down in general eating. When I can be bothered to care about what I eat dinner is chicken breast or turkey mince with naked salad (lazy men - buy those shredded cabbage coleslaw or stir fry packs from supermarket and use raw and naked).

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Most of the time my salads use balsamic but i am aware I have quite low fat and carb intake so i simply relax when it comes to salad dressings. I am not perfect, alc is low. High fibre and 5 verges with every dinner. It works for me. Seems that this last 5kg is a common hurdle.
I am trying to improve on my power to weigh for races. Also endurance races so less muscle as well

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
:) just did. Giant defy sl1 with disc and di2. And a new play 29 ti MTB, and a rebuild of my 29er ti race bike with lots of carbon.

Financial training only got me so far