Help with dropper cable routing

nathanm

Eats Squid
This week's project for the bike collective had been a difficult one.

It's a 15/6 Trek Superfly and they want to add a dropper. It appears to have routing for it but not for full external cable??

The bike is 1x11 so no front derailleur. I've followed the internal routing but there's a cable stop on the bottom or the rear swing arm so it looks like your supposed to run it like shifter cable, as in a section of inner is exposed.

Anyway it's hard to explain so hopefully the pictures give you a better idea.

Screenshot_20230622_103749.jpg

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
I have the 15-16 Superfly carbon and the Reverb hydraulic dropper is all internally routed.

Looks like you have to do something along the lines of what you are doing going on this online picture.
You could drill the stop out, not if if you are ever going to need it.
Alternatively, would a section of bare cable be a problem.

Screenshot_20230622-101812~3.png

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
This week's project for the bike collective had been a difficult one.

It's a 15/6 Trek Superfly and they want to add a dropper. It appears to have routing for it but not for full external cable??

The bike is 1x11 so no front derailleur. I've followed the internal routing but there's a cable stop on the bottom or the rear swing arm so it looks like your supposed to run it like shifter cable, as in a section of inner is exposed.

Anyway it's hard to explain so hopefully the pictures give you a better idea.
Still hard to read from that picture, where does the cable need to go? There's a ziptie lug at the cable exit on the seat tube in the photo, do you need to use the outer stop on the swingarm at all? Assuming the outer goes under the BB?

Edit: that silver two-bolt set up on the main pivot is for a direct mount front derailleur - so the cable stop on the swing arm is for the derailleur cable. Run full housing for the dropper, ignore the cable stop on the swing arm.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Still hard to read from that picture, where does the cable need to go? There's a ziptie lug at the cable exit on the seat tube in the photo, do you need to use the outer stop on the swingarm at all? Assuming the outer goes under the BB?

Edit: that silver two-bolt set up on the main pivot is for a direct mount front derailleur - so the cable stop on the swing arm is for the derailleur cable. Run full housing for the dropper, ignore the cable stop on the swing arm.
Cheers that makes sense now given the cable stop is for shifting not dropping

nathanm

Eats Squid
You didn't try to internally route it over the BB ?
No. It's that cable guide on the downtube that led me astray. Should just be a hole and cable port like the rest of the bike but no, it's a guide with a cable clamp that pushes the outer cable straight down to align with the cable stop.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
No. It's that cable guide on the downtube that led me astray. Should just be a hole and cable port like the rest of the bike but no, it's a guide with a cable clamp that pushes the outer cable straight down to align with the cable stop.
2015 bikes did not come dropper friendly. Especially XC bikes.

The spare port at the front is for the front derailleur and the full cable/hose is easily routed over the BB.

I thought you may have had no room on the alu frame version vs carbon where there is a clear gap.

nathanm

Eats Squid
2015 bikes did not come dropper friendly. Especially XC bikes.

The spare port at the front is for the front derailleur and the full cable/hose is easily routed over the BB.

I thought you may have had no room on the alu frame version vs carbon where there is a clear gap.
There's an access port under the downtube that leads out to the rhs near the headtube so it's all there to be used. Pf course the "internal" sections are for cables only so it's been and will be a pita to fish cables about in there.