Herniated Discs - Log

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
Any chance you could share the things you should and shouldn't do?
Of course, this is the info I got. I still do a modified version of the leg press by not bending my hips past 90 degrees. As for the exercise bike, well I don't do stationary bikes so actual bike riding is fine.................................
I hope this can help some of you as much as it helped me.

ausdb

Being who he is

Ha ha after my lower back issues and surgery both the doctor and neuro said maybe rethink the wisdom of 3-4 hour rides on the roadie on the weekend.
Having kids and spending most Saturday mornings running around after them put an end to that anyway ;)

Dozer

Heavy machinery.
Staff member
View attachment 381274

Ha ha after my lower back issues and surgery both the doctor and neuro said maybe rethink the wisdom of 3-4 hour rides on the roadie on the weekend.
Having kids and spending most Saturday mornings running around after them put an end to that anyway ;)

Sounds like the kids have gotta go. ;)

Staunch

Eats Squid
I hope this can help some of you as much as it helped me.
As much as I don't like giving out unsolicited advice, I feel that there are some commonly recurring health myths that need to be nipped in the bud. The current rhetoric surronding spinal health is pretty detrimental in society unfortunately, and something that can be improved upon.

Firstly, I actually agree with @Dozer about avoiding all these positions, in terms of performing them as static stretches. The issue with static stretching can be a whole other debate for another time, however if anything is going to be detrimental about those positions, it would be for an entirely different reason than the poorly written explaination on that sheet.

Flexion isn't bad for discs. Positions of flexion aren't inherently unhealthy. In fact, appropriate loading in flexion is beneficial for not only disc health but also muscle strength and size. Here is one such example, relevant to our predominant hobby, where it was found that high volume road cyclists (who spend a heap of time in flexion) have beneficial changes compared to non-cyclists. There are heaps of other articles which back up this concept, from similar case studies in different flexion-based sports, biomechanical force testing, and fluid dynamics modelling of disc compression via vertebrae through spinal range of motion.

Yes, following an acute disc injury it can be wise to avoid aggravating flexion-based activites for a few weeks during recovery. However, avoiding positions of flexion in the long term is not only incredibly detrimental, but also a pretty inconvenient way to live. It's a great way to turn an mild-moderate acute injury into a long-term chronic issue via catastrophisation and atrophy via activity avoidance.

TL;DR - ride your bike, do normal things, don't be afraid to bend your back, but probably beneficial to avoid static stretching in extreme ranges of flexion (or static stretching at all really)

Again, as a disclaimer this is generally speaking, there will always be outlying cases and extreme scenarios, however for the vast, vast majorty of cases these are valid points.

rockmoose

his flabber is totally gastered
I agree, in principle. Static stretches are not terribly good, but yoga is full of static stretches, and does wonders for mobility, flexibility and general well-being. I just wish I practiced it with more regularity.

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
For some reason my back tends to be the most fragile when I wake up in the morning and it seems to improve over the course of the day. I don't race XC anymore, as punching climbs for extended periods gets too painful and ruins my whole ride. I find that taking it easy up the climbs makes riding much less painful and thankfully this works well when racing enduro.
I try to focus on keeping a straight back when climbing and bending at the hips and not arching my back. I think the it's the lack of core strength that's giving me issues a the moment. I was doing pilates a while back but medicare decided to not support it anymore so the person that was running it couldn't make it cost effective anymore and pulled the pin. I think I will have to get back into it again as my back has been quite sore after a three day Derby weekend has taken it's toll:(

Minlak

custom titis
For some reason my back tends to be the most fragile when I wake up in the morning and it seems to improve over the course of the day. I don't race XC anymore, as punching climbs for extended periods gets too painful and ruins my whole ride. I find that taking it easy up the climbs makes riding much less painful and thankfully this works well when racing enduro.
I try to focus on keeping a straight back when climbing and bending at the hips and not arching my back. I think the it's the lack of core strength that's giving me issues a the moment. I was doing pilates a while back but medicare decided to not support it anymore so the person that was running it couldn't make it cost effective anymore and pulled the pin. I think I will have to get back into it again as my back has been quite sore after a three day Derby weekend has taken it's toll:(
They have this service now where you can go and ask medical questions - Google for "Doctors" in your area - They have access to these wonderous viewing machines that allow them to see inside your body. :)

Seriously got get a scan done and then you can get specific advice to your needs and move on with your life. You may just need a good Physio plan :)

Stredda

Runs naked through virgin scrub
They have this service now where you can go and ask medical questions - Google for "Doctors" in your area - They have access to these wonderous viewing machines that allow them to see inside your body. :)

Seriously got get a scan done and then you can get specific advice to your needs and move on with your life. You may just need a good Physio plan :)

View attachment 381315
The problem I have had before is all the different opinions that you get when seeking medical advice, especially for back pain. The GP may want to prescribe medication, the Surgeon wants to operate, the Physio wants to do certain exercises and the Chiropractor wants to re-align your spine.
I have been down that path before and it takes some time to find the solution that will work for you.

Think I might give the Proctologist a miss, don't think the issue is up there lol.

Minlak

custom titis
The problem I have had before is all the different opinions that you get when seeking medical advice, especially for back pain. The GP may want to prescribe medication, the Surgeon wants to operate, the Physio wants to do certain exercises and the Chiropractor wants to re-align your spine.
I have been down that path before and it takes some time to find the solution that will work for you.

Think I might give the Proctologist a miss, don't think the issue is up there lol.
I would suggest get an actual Diagnosis and then look into treatment - Too often they just hook in and start manipulating or prescribing shit with out the full picture. Chiropractors especially scare me as with very little forethought or diagnosis they start "Manipulating" your spine.

Calvin27

Eats Squid
The GP may want to prescribe medication, the Surgeon wants to operate, the Physio wants to do certain exercises and the Chiropractor wants to re-align your spine.
Desk job 8 hours or more a day is my problem. But finances say no.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男

Well we can rule out the chiropractor, they aren't going to sole anything! As for the others...that's up to you. BUT!!! BUTT!!! Don't rule out the proctologist. Seriously there is a significant chance of a non surgical solution through proctology, though perhaps a little invasive. They can insert a device called a "posture rod".