Hey, New member, bought a new bike.

rexhunta

Likes Bikes
Hey guys, bought my first 1/2 decent bile today, so thought i'd sign up get some good tips on maintenance and riding.

I bought a 2008 Avanti Atomic, really couldn't go past it, was a one off that had been ordered to a store, but they couldn't sell it as it was a medium frame. Had $740 on the tag, then heavily discounted to $374.50, so i couldn't say no.

Plan on doing light trail work, and generally just getting off my ass and getting out of the house.

heres a pic :

specs off the Avanti site.

* Frame: ADT 6061 Series FT Alloy
* Fork: RST CAPA ML 90mm Travel w/ Mechanical Lockout
* Front Derailleur: Shimano Acera
* Rear Derailleur: Shimano Alivio
* Brake Levers: Shimano EF50
* Shifters: Shimano EF50 24-Speed
* Crankset: Shimano FC-MC09 42/32/22
* Brakes: Shimano M415 Mechanical Disc
* Hubs: Shimano RM-65 Alloy Disc Front and Rear
* Cassette: Shimano HG30 11-30T 8-Speed
* Handlebar: Alloy Riser
* Grips: Avanti Dual Density
* Handlebar Stem: Alloy A-head
* Pedals: Nylon Platform Pedal
* Rims/Wheel Set: Weinmann Disc Taurus 2000 Double Wall Black
* Spokes: Stainless Steel
* Tyres: Kenda Komodo 26 x 1.95
* Saddle: Zero Gamma-X
* Seat Post: Alloy Micro Adjust 31.6mm
* Bottom Bracket: Shimano BB-UN26 Cartridge
* Headset: Zero Stack 1-1/8" w/ Avanti Top Cap
* Chain: KMC IG31

i'll ride around and get used to it for a while, then i'll slowly replace shit like pedals and grips, and a few other things.

Thanks for letting me piss on.

Pete.

nickcordia

Likes Bikes
Well done

Well done , looks like a good buy! the first thing you need to do is get rid of those reflectors! cheers and happy riding

H

>Henry

Firstly Welcome to Farkin! Nice work mate that's a bargain and not a bad bike at all.

4xboy

Likes Dirt
yer just take the reflectors of and stock tyres are not always that red hot so just keep ann eye on them apart from that nice bike and have fun on it

rexhunta

Likes Bikes
Thanks guys. Yeah reflectors come off tonight.. pity its been shithouse weather here, otherwise i would've already been out.. itching to ride it ! Got some new pedals today, so i'm bolting them on as well.

4xboy

Likes Dirt
good to see some one taking a bit of pride in there bike and actuly want to ride not just be a prancer

rexhunta

Likes Bikes
good to see some one taking a bit of pride in there bike and actuly want to ride not just be a prancer
Yeah i really miss riding ( bmx'd for years until i bought a bloody car), so i can't wait. Time to get private hospital cover to fix my spills hehe.

4xboy

Likes Dirt
that sort happened to me i took my bike in to be serviced and i didnt see it for a month and that bike shop hasent had any bisness from me since then

rexhunta

Likes Bikes
new pics.

Okay, here are some updated pics without reflectors and new pedals.

mechanical lockout and damper control

rear hub and brake setup

New pedals. they are Wellgo with 14 removable stubs/ 7 on top 7 on bottom.

Looks heaps better with reflectors !

rexhunta

Likes Bikes
looks great! :), good price too. ;)
have you got a ride report yet? :cool:
Yeah went for a bash down to another estate ( bout 40 mins up and back ), just as i started i thought the bloody front shocks don't feel right, feel extremely spongy. So i pulled over, looked down and saw they had a damper control ( i come from doing a lot of time in imports drift/sprint sorta cars, with that sort of control on coil overs etc), anyway, tighten up them up to where i liked them, and bloody hell, completely different !

Although got to have a talk to the shop when i take it in 4 weeks, when i'm pedaling up my hill they click in and out of gear.. didn't think it was right, but they said after a month to take back so they can reset and tighten everything, hope they have a look at that.

And yeah, very comfy, and my god do the brakes work lol, very grippy coming from being used to bmx with a gyro etc.

Pete.

Elbo

pesky scooter kids git off ma lawn
Although got to have a talk to the shop when i take it in 4 weeks, when i'm pedaling up my hill they click in and out of gear.. didn't think it was right, but they said after a month to take back so they can reset and tighten everything, hope they have a look at that.
Welcome to Farkin and MTB mate, nice ride for a first decent MTB. I've owned Avanti bikes before and they are good quality. All the clicking in and out of gear will be is in relation to the gear cables stretching with use. That's standard for all new bikes. It's just a break-in period thing.

rexhunta

Likes Bikes
Welcome to Farkin and MTB mate, nice ride for a first decent MTB. I've owned Avanti bikes before and they are good quality. All the clicking in and out of gear will be is in relation to the gear cables stretching with use. That's standard for all new bikes. It's just a break-in period thing.

Excellent, thanks heaps for the advice. Hoping it was something easy as that !

nah, been reading through a heaps of the articles here, really good reading.. Some good photos to remind me not to touch the discs after a good ride too ;)

Pete

JSPhoto

Likes Bikes and Dirt
G'day Mate,
Welcome to the world that is farkin :)
Thats a snazzy looking bike you go there, amazing how much a bike can change by simply removing some reflectors, looks a thousand times better without them on. Like Elbo said random gear changing is due to the wire stretching, you might hear some seriously odd creaking noises as well, thats just stuff getting worn in, some stuff may loosen slightly, don't worry because the bike shop will fix it up at 1st service :).
Enjoy the bike!