Hey

stirk

Burner
They ve dumped OD2, it is no more on mtbs- fortunately they sold so many in the last couple of years that if you end up with one it's easy to get a stem for it from giant dealers . The only downside is it will say giant on it rather than some uber cool european brand.
So did they create a new 'standard' or revert?

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
So did they create a new 'standard' or revert?
Please get your heavy metal deep voice ready....because they went back to their old standard "OVERDRIVE"!!!!! Otherwise known as what everyone else uses.

They have introduced however a new bottom bracket technology which is called "POWER CORE!!!!!!! " - shimano call it a pressfit bottom bracket.....

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Can you expand on that? I'm thinking of getting one and I'm interested in why you say that.

How do they compare with a similar priced Specialized Stumpjumper (the other one I'm thinking of)? I ride Gap Creek if that helps.

Cheers.

Edit: it's the Giant Trance 27.5 1 2015 I'm interested in. I currently ride a 2014 Anthem 2 29er.

This one: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/trance.27.5.1/18975/76559/
Hi Spiny Norman,

Welcome to Rotorburn.

Do you have salt at home?

If you do, I suggest you take a few grains whilst browsing these forums!!
Thanks, I'll introduce myself properly over the weekend.

So I take it pp was being funny? I must admit I was a bit confused as he was recommending Trances within the thread. They seem like good value, but I am a complete n00b at looking at the more expensive bikes.

Norm, Get the Trance. They are a good bike and you will be very happy. Unless you are intending to shred trail like a boss? If you don't care for pedalling there are better options. But they are a good all rounder and represent value for money. Fuck me I have been a bit of a Giant fanboy lately...I am not really into Giant. They don't float my boat like other brands. But too many people get tricked into buying the wrong bike. As the trance is so versatile and accessible, it mitigates that risk.

My comment that originally caught your attention was a jestfull poke at the comment below. While I am sure there will be plenty of 2014 models for sale second had, I doubt there is much from 2015 being second handed off...given the 'seasaon' is only a few months old and the year has not yet begun.

Welcome to Farkin. Grab the salt and pinch on! oh and don't forget to freeze your jizz.

Hey man,

Grab a 2014 or 2015 Trance from gumtree. 2nd hand, but no k's on them, so as new. The 2014/15 shape is the long, low, slack, 27.5" one, you probably don't want an earlier model, they're a bit xc in geometry. At the moment they're really cheap as there's heap available. 2k will get you a sweet Trance 1 or 2 or SX maybe with a few extra's the previous owner has added.

Lock out is there for the rear shock so your legs don't die climbing those new hills, but can be opened up for the downhills and airtime :) 140mm travel fork with TALAS down to 120 also helps those legs.

Sweet frame you can upgrade as you can go if you like, or just sell it again for similar money after you get cashed up again. Same as the Reign that goes right up to $5000.

I bought my first MTB a few months ago, an XTC2. It's a big hardtail that rolls all over stuff, but when you hit the DH and want to have a bit of fun, nothing beats the trance, so I bought one shortly after!

Good for DH and XC, can't recommend the Trance's enough. Good luck.

So we've talked about bikes a fair bit, now what about helmets,shoes, gloves etc. Just go with something that's comfortable?

Also do bikes ever see a sale during this time of year?

stirk

Burner
So we've talked about bikes a fair bit, now what about helmets,shoes, gloves etc. Just go with something that's comfortable?

Also do bikes ever see a sale during this time of year?
Here read this thread, you don't have to follow this to the letter of course but it helps to narrow down opinions if you are more specific in the question on products and have had a look at various brands yourself and settled on a few you like and think might be good. i.e. gloves, full fingered or fingerless? Helmet, full face or not...

Some opinions maybe narrow minded though.

http://www.rotorburn.com/forums/sho...-advice-on-bike-related-stuff-on-the-internet

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Yeah I've done searches and the like, just thought I'd ask here to save me making a future thread elsewhere if I was to.
What?

Use advanced search, pick your topic, eg "helmet" , search titles only, hit enter. Done, easy 50 previous threads will come up.

Please don't

marc.r

Likes Dirt
Can you expand on that? I'm thinking of getting one and I'm interested in why you say that.

How do they compare with a similar priced Specialized Stumpjumper (the other one I'm thinking of)? I ride Gap Creek if that helps.

Cheers.

Edit: it's the Giant Trance 27.5 1 2015 I'm interested in. I currently ride a 2014 Anthem 2 29er.

This one: http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-au/bikes/model/trance.27.5.1/18975/76559/
trance is a better bike then the stumpy. plusher AND a better climber. the only class leading bike in specialized range right now is the enduro 29er and if you are getting that you need to one with some expensive wheels so they dont flex/really heavy.

Spiny Norman

Likes Bikes
Norm, Get the Trance. They are a good bike and you will be very happy. Unless you are intending to shred trail like a boss?
Thanks, I'm on the wrong end of fifty to shred anything! So no worries there.

Welcome to Farkin. Grab the salt and pinch on! oh and don't forget to freeze your jizz.
I can't. The supplier was disconnected years ago.

Spiny Norman

Likes Bikes
trance is a better bike then the stumpy. plusher AND a better climber. the only class leading bike in specialized range right now is the enduro 29er and if you are getting that you need to one with some expensive wheels so they dont flex/really heavy.
Thanks, that's just the sort of information I'm looking for.

Damnnnnnnn I have not been on these forums in a long time. The banter must have been to much for me ;)
Just went to make an account and forgot I had already made one all these years ago.

Guess I might do an update and reintroduce myself.

Being a completely newbie to the whole bike/MTB scene I set about looking for my first bike (new) and ended up with a 2015 Trance 27.5 2 (https://www.giant-bicycles.com/au/trance-27dot5-2-2015 )

Super pricey at the time and looking back I probably should have just gone the used option as there is no way I got close to using the bike and getting my moneys worth out of it. I still have the bike and its in great nick apart from not being ridden for a fair while. The first year of ownership I was really enjoying it, but as time went on I stopped riding and would only go for a ride once every blue moon. I still held onto the bike all this time as I kept telling myself I'll get back into it.

Now with University being finished, I'm looking to take it back up and something to fill in spare time and hopefully reignite the enjoyment I had from riding.

So as I'd still call myself a newbie, I'm spending the time looking into things like what lube should I use (wet/dry) etc. to give my bike a once over after not riding it for a long time.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Spray the whole bike front to back, excluding your brakes and seat, with silicone. It's a magic spray that will make you bigly good and bigly faster while shining like the sun.