Hi from Brisbane

Hi everyone. I don’t know how long I've been registered on here, it was a surprise when I went to create a new account and found that my email address was already in use. (Looks like it was 2013, not sure where I’ve been for the last 5 years....)

I've been riding since I was a kid and started taking bikes more seriously while working at an Anaconda store in Melbourne when I started university. I worked as a mechanic at Ivanhoe Cycles for a bit under a year, and then decided to throw my recently completed Computer Science Degree in the bin and moved to Canada. I've done one summer season at Silver Star Bike Park and two at Whistler, all as a mechanic. This is my first summer living in Brisbane and I’m loving the riding here a lot more than I expected. Its only for a short time though, Whistler beckons for another season this coming April.

Mostly into trail and downhill, but with a lifelong love of BMX. Hopefully one day ill be able to ride a BMX without looking like a goon.

If anyone here has ever wondered how to make the move to Canada to live the mountain biking dream or has questions about visiting the bike parks in BC, ill do my best to give you good information!

Cheers

Flow-Rider

Burner
From computer nerd to bike mechanic, well that's a story and a half to tell the grand kids. Anyway, welcome to the show and hope you enjoy your stay in Brissy. Is the bike mechanic job just a labour of love or you can pay your bills on time ?

So far the bike mechanic work has paid the bills, but as im moving house/country every 6 to 12 months I live pretty frugally. Once I settle somewhere it might be time to reevaluate the job. But for now it sure beats sitting at a desk.

And fortunately Di2 helps keep the computer nerd skills in use!

Flow-Rider

Burner
So far the bike mechanic work has paid the bills, but as im moving house/country every 6 to 12 months I live pretty frugally. Once I settle somewhere it might be time to reevaluate the job. But for now it sure beats sitting at a desk.

And fortunately Di2 helps keep the computer nerd skills in use!
I've found the same with theses sorts of jobs, you need quite a lot of skills and knowledge to survive in the industry but I'm not the one for office politics or regulations either. It's like trying to have your icing with your cake.