High End XC specific wheels? Whats out there now?

knob scortcher

Likes Dirt
Hi, have not been following along with the mountain bike trend for a good year+ now due to personal commitments and what not. Just beginning to gather information for a high end XC build i will be doing over the next 12 months. The main issue I'm having is deciding what wheels would be best.

I plan on putting $2.5k towards wheels, maybe more or less depending. Must be tubeless compatible and must be able to withstand rocky trails. Rider weight wont be an issue as I'm only 75ish kg.

I'm unsure as to what is currently out there and what people have used with success.

TIA

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
are ypu thinking carbon or alloy, also custom built or off the rack? If it were me id prob go custom, hard to beat DT 240s hubs, pair them with a high end rim & spokes. I'm not a big fan of carbon rims, too much of a disposable item

link1896

Mr Greenfield
are ypu thinking carbon or alloy, also custom built or off the rack? If it were me id prob go custom, hard to beat DT 240s hubs, pair them with a high end rim & spokes. I'm not a big fan of carbon rims, too much of a disposable item
Depends on the rider greatly, some people need the toughest wheels to get a single xc lap done while others are fine on carbon.

Pushy's have Enve Carbon 29er wheel sets on sale. $2k. 240s hubs. 18mm internal width so really suited to 2.25" or smaller tyres.

http://www.pushys.com.au/enve-twent...gle_shopping&gclid=CN2rreexh8oCFUUIvAodej8L_w

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
I'm not a big fan of carbon rims, too much of a disposable item
No more than anything else, they just behave differently when pushed to their stress limit. Carbon remains springy right up to its breaking point, unlike metals which have a phase where they stay bent after the elastic limit is passed but before breaking. A hit hard enough to break a carbon rim will well & truly exceed what's required to permanently bend an aluminium rim.

slimjim1

Fat boomers cloggin' ma leaderboard
With your budget + weight + intended use, you'd be mad not to opt for carbon IMO. They'll hold up fine.

jda

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I am having a second carbon wheelset built for my bike at the moment.

Nextie 27mm carbon XC rims
DT Aerolite spokes
Brass Nipples
DT240s

Just waiting for some things to come in, should be about $1500 with mates rates.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm sure for that coin you can get a lovely set of custom carbon wheels from TWE. You could spend less on Mavic SLR's. The ID is 19mm but for XC they're very good. I've had two sets and they're lovely, IMO.

If it were me, I'd probably go Chis King hubs and Stan's Valor carbon rims.

You should have loads of choices at the spend level you're thinking of.

Last edited:

knob scortcher

Likes Dirt
forgot the most important imformation, will most likely be 29" and thinking carbon. haven't owned a set of carbon wheels.

knob scortcher

Likes Dirt
will definitely consider custom wheels, considering the entire bike will be built up from scratch, plan is to get a 2017 frame set. should make for a good build thread to.

Ackland

chats d'élevage
Order some tune King/Kong hubs from EightyOneSpices.... or other hub you like... my second choice would be DT 240s

Order Rims of your choice from nextie and wait for them to arrive

Get a REALLY good wheel builder to....
1) Calculate your spoke lengths (from the ACTUAL RIMS, not quoted ERD)
2) Order Spokes of your choice (DT Aerolite or Sapim CX Ray)
2) Build them

That way.. they know what spokes are ordered and make some $ on both the build and sale of spokes.

I still use alloy nipples on everything.
Both alloy and brass nipples corrode.
Quality alloy nipples are just as reliable as brass and save mass at the outer edge.

Just make sure you know what frame you're getting before you order hubs as there's no way to convert a hub to boost spacing

pharmaboy

Eats Squid
Rule no 1

Don't get enve. First, your friends will envy you, then they might start thinking you re just a wanker, then the rims will go out of true, you'll have to remove the rim tape, true the rim, and re apply rim tape, but within 3 rides it will need tweaking again, so you'll remove the rim tape, true the wheel, reapply rim tape, and with irony, you will envy your friends who can true a wheel at the side of the trail before a race.

TWE or Zelvy

knob scortcher

Likes Dirt
Order some tune King/Kong hubs from EightyOneSpices.... or other hub you like... my second choice would be DT 240s

Order Rims of your choice from nextie and wait for them to arrive

Get a REALLY good wheel builder to....
1) Calculate your spoke lengths (from the ACTUAL RIMS, not quoted ERD)
2) Order Spokes of your choice (DT Aerolite or Sapim CX Ray)
2) Build them

That way.. they know what spokes are ordered and make some $ on both the build and sale of spokes.

I still use alloy nipples on everything.
Both alloy and brass nipples corrode.
Quality alloy nipples are just as reliable as brass and save mass at the outer edge.

Just make sure you know what frame you're getting before you order hubs as there's no way to convert a hub to boost spacing
Rule no 1

Don't get enve.
TWE or Zelvy
Liking the first option here best right now. but had a look at twe and zelvy and the look alright to. Still have a few months before i even know what and if the frame im getting is available and what spacing it has. But for now i guess i can safely get bars,stem, and other little things.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
Built myself a pair of carbon wheels recently. Carbonal rims, Shimano XTR hubs & DT Aerolite spokes; pretty well bang-on 1400g for the pair, using brass nipples, which are far less prone to explosive self-destruction in carbon rims than aluminium. This is 26" though, so bigger wheels will be a tad heavier. Cost around a grand.

knob scortcher

Likes Dirt
pretty decent, definitely are cheaper but still very good options out there than buy bike brand name wheels. was thinking light wheels was going to be the way to go but definitely want something stiff or atleast somewhat stiff.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
My wheels are reasonably light and very stiff. 32 spokes each end ensure the stiffness, but obviously even with Aerolites aren't quite as light as low spoke-count wheels.