High intensity interval training.

placebo

Likes Dirt
That protocol has proven benefits on untrained individuals, but what benefits does it bring to moderately to well trained people like you see on here? How does it integrate into a persons weekly riding? There's a lot of chat and generalised examples given in this thread, but little identified for specific examples, so I'm pretty wary of things like this being mentioned as I'm not an excercise scientist. Your knowledge and experience is proven, but it seems like people don't really take onboard what you're saying in the search for one killer protocol. I've had a solid six month build now, coming back from an injured state, and just spent my last month doing 30s intervals because I basically had a big hole in my power curve there. It's not a classically proven or researched approach, but given the lack of capacity I had there I thought I'd get a pretty good result from a couple of blocks concentrating on the glycolytic energy system. People don't seem to be considering/testing where they are currently, and where they expect to be after a cycle, and how it they're going to tie it together longer term. It's sort of endurance bro-science, "Just do intervals bro, they're sick!".

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
That protocol has proven benefits on untrained individuals, but what benefits does it bring to moderately to well trained people like you see on here? How does it integrate into a persons weekly riding? There's a lot of chat and generalised examples given in this thread, but little identified for specific examples, so I'm pretty wary of things like this being mentioned as I'm not an excercise scientist. Your knowledge and experience is proven, but it seems like people don't really take onboard what you're saying in the search for one killer protocol. I've had a solid six month build now, coming back from an injured state, and just spent my last month doing 30s intervals because I basically had a big hole in my power curve there. It's not a classically proven or researched approach, but given the lack of capacity I had there I thought I'd get a pretty good result from a couple of blocks concentrating on the glycolytic energy system. People don't seem to be considering/testing where they are currently, and where they expect to be after a cycle, and how it they're going to tie it together longer term. It's sort of endurance bro-science, "Just do intervals bro, they're sick!".
The short answer is intervals is a very, very well validated approach to training and it works, but the best method??

The biggest benefit that interval training, when done well, has for a moderate to highly trained individual is continuing improvements in Vo2Max, improvements in lactate and anaerobic threshold (they are different things), improvement in lactic buffering (tolerance of) - the later three factors are really important for performance, more so than Vo2 improvements are, at least once Vo2 is quite high.

The problem I face trying to teach this stuff at uni is there are many approaches that work, whats the best approach? I wouldn't have a clue - really depends on the sport and the athlete standing in front of you. I tend to use interval training as a time saving training tool during week days.

It is a really good point regarding assessment, and I completely agree, without adequate assessment how does one tailor a program to an athletes weaknesses and continue to build on their strengths.

The best and easiest tool for measuring interval training improvements is the Wingate 30 second test, all you need is a bike ergo with watts, and preferably HR as well - even measuing post interval HR recovery is valuable. We generally also do blood lactates, ECG and a use a metabolic cart for measuring exactly how much O2 / CO2 consumption and therefore energy is being used - but thats because we have a lab full of fancy shit, I don't do that stuff with regular clients it's going overboard.

placebo

Likes Dirt
The biggest benefit that interval training, when done well, has for a moderate to highly trained individual is continuing improvements in Vo2Max, improvements in lactate and anaerobic threshold (they are different things), improvement in lactic buffering (tolerance of) - the later three factors are really important for performance, more so than Vo2 improvements are, at least once Vo2 is quite high.
Is this stuff that leads to an improvement of velocity at VO2, rather than improvement in V02 itself? I've read a little about this sort of stuff, and it seems that V02 tends to have a large genetic component, while vV02 max has more trainability. Some of us are born normal, and some are born aerobic Shaquille O'Neals, I'm definitely normal.

The best and easiest tool for measuring interval training improvements is the Wingate 30 second test, all you need is a bike ergo with watts, and preferably HR as well - even measuing post interval HR recovery is valuable. We generally also do blood lactates, ECG and a use a metabolic cart for measuring exactly how much O2 / CO2 consumption and therefore energy is being used - but thats because we have a lab full of fancy shit, I don't do that stuff with regular clients it's going overboard.
Googled Wingate test, I've got pm and hr, going to do this at the end of this block of 30s efforts, then do another 3wk block and retest. I'll post up some stuff in five weeks so people have something specific to have a look at. I've been looking at what I've been doing just setting date ranges in Golden Cheetah and seeing improvements over time, rather than doing any specific testing. From my own experience as an average punter, it's helpful to see what non-elites are doing, and the results it produces.

brados20

Likes Dirt
I have also been thinking of doing intervals to help me with my enduro racing. I don't have a stationary bike or trainer and time is of the essence with a new baby on the way and all! I was thinking of doing some running sprints of 30/30seconds. Does anyone do running intervals to help with there mountain biking?

placebo

Likes Dirt
Everything, anything, works in untrained or lightly trained individuals and groups in execise studies over the durations commonly studied. It's how nutritional studies show that eating pounds of bacon and coconut oil don't produce significantly different health outcomes. Pick a control group in which individuals are most likely to die of cardiovascular disease, stroke, or diabetes as a result of too many calories/saturated fat intake, then it's pretty easy, usually depending on who is funding you, to produce a statistically valid study supporting your hypothesis. It's when you're trying to draw helpful conclusions from short, sample biased studies, e.g. what's the minimum effective dose of exercise that will significantly lower my risk of cardiovascular disease, and extrapolate that into something useful and valid for your everyday mtb mug punter, like me, already exercising who wants to go faster in their event or strava segment. Test, measure, or have an idea where you are, either through strava times, hr or power data, do the training methodology, and then use those metrics to see where you're at afterwards. If you're not at the absolute edge of performance, and if racing isn't paying your all your bills you probably aren't, there are some pretty proven paths to follow, that cost about ten to fifteen bucks on kindle.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Stuff that. Just get a fixie. Seriously, doing track training was a massive boost to technique, skills and powarrrr
I found a fixie and your right...it is a lot of fun. Now to get to the velodrome and overcome the fear of the banks!

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I found a fixie and your right...it is a lot of fun. Now to get to the velodrome and overcome the fear of the banks!
you'd want your training to closely match mountain biking, for mountain biking there needs to be a significant portion of 'mountains' in your program; that's the toughest bit as it gets the heart rate up with limited recovery and without that fitness you slowly decline as time goes on (we're all been there), so the real way to improve this part is to find a climbing loop and due to terrain is a real world interval session. you control the efforts over about 45 minutes which includes a warm up and cool down.

heart rate monitoring would see the hr peak in the upper zones and come down on recovery. this analysis would be post ride on strava - you would eventually educate yourself on a sustainable hr on climbs with strong recovery that still has you at pace.

you can kind of simulate that on a velodrome but I'd be finding a climb loop ... get on some dirt as being able to make power with the right climb position and pedal technique is crucial. listening to your body on the descent/recovery and getting the heart rate down in preparation for next climb interval will teach you to build sustainable riding at good pace.

other riding will be endurance, technique, fun based. of course intervals can be fun with a group or when you get fit enough to enjoy them.

Last edited:

Matt C

Likes Dirt
I've started to do intervals a couple of times a week. I'm a slow diesel wanting to add a turbo. I'm working on 30sec full gas 2 min rest x 6-8 depending on how I'm feeling. After the 3rd 30sec on in the last session I thought 'that'll do pig, that'll do'. I felt like i wouldn't be able to give the 4th set anything worthwhile and was still pretty stuffedas the rest period was ending. I thought 'ah, screw it. What the worst that can happen?'. Well, at the end of that 4th 30sec interval I started to go into a cold sweat and had the shakes. I stumbled to the bathroom and knelt in front of the toilet for 10 mins trying not to throw up. Worst...feeling...ever ! Should have listened to myself.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've started to do intervals a couple of times a week. I'm a slow diesel wanting to add a turbo. I'm working on 30sec full gas 2 min rest x 6-8 depending on how I'm feeling. After the 3rd 30sec on in the last session I thought 'that'll do pig, that'll do'. I felt like i wouldn't be able to give the 4th set anything worthwhile and was still pretty stuffedas the rest period was ending. I thought 'ah, screw it. What the worst that can happen?'. Well, at the end of that 4th 30sec interval I started to go into a cold sweat and had the shakes. I stumbled to the bathroom and knelt in front of the toilet for 10 mins trying not to throw up. Worst...feeling...ever ! Should have listened to myself.
yeah overcooked it a bit, do a pyramid set instead, intervals don't mean flat out - need to be measured in your efforts, try 4 minutes at 75% effort, 30 sec break (slow ride), 3 min@75, 30 sec, 2 min@75, 30, 1 min@75, 30, then 4 min again, 3, 30, 2, 30, 1, 30.

Matt C

Likes Dirt
yeah overcooked it a bit, do a pyramid set instead, intervals don't mean flat out - need to be measured in your efforts, try 4 minutes at 75% effort, 30 sec break (slow ride), 3 min@75, 30 sec, 2 min@75, 30, 1 min@75, 30, then 4 min again, 3, 30, 2, 30, 1, 30.
Thanks mate. I will give that a try. I don't have a HRM so it will be perceived effort. I'm considering a Stages crank if the training will be more beneficial.

Matt C

Likes Dirt
Gave this a try earlier. Felt a lot better ! Cheers again.

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
you'd want your training to closely match mountain biking, for mountain biking there needs to be a significant portion of 'mountains' in your program; that's the toughest bit as it gets the heart rate up with limited recovery and without that fitness you slowly decline as time goes on (we're all been there), so the real way to improve this part is to find a climbing loop and due to terrain is a real world interval session. you control the efforts over about 45 minutes which includes a warm up and cool down.

heart rate monitoring would see the hr peak in the upper zones and come down on recovery. this analysis would be post ride on strava - you would eventually educate yourself on a sustainable hr on climbs with strong recovery that still has you at pace.

you can kind of simulate that on a velodrome but I'd be finding a climb loop ... get on some dirt as being able to make power with the right climb position and pedal technique is crucial. listening to your body on the descent/recovery and getting the heart rate down in preparation for next climb interval will teach you to build sustainable riding at good pace.

other riding will be endurance, technique, fun based. of course intervals can be fun with a group or when you get fit enough to enjoy them.
Cheers for this mtb101...definitely some more information/suggestions to consider. I haven't had much time to get to the trails of late and have been spending a lot of time on a spin bike at work and on my road bike when home because it is much more convenient when a little time poor.