hints on getting fitter when you have kids under 4

dusty_nz

Likes Dirt
Guy here at work scammed a car park in the building.

He drives on monday with his bike and then rides the rest of the week, Driving home on Friday

Cypher

Likes Dirt
This is a great thread!

For more info on HIIT go here

The good news is that you don't have to spend too much time getting good gains.

I do a modified 'cross fit' type routine at the gym. Cross fit is good because I find it interesting and varied, requires full body movements and it is over quickly (the bad parts are that the people who do it are fanatical nutters who think overuse injuries are a badge of honour and eat far too much protein for my liking)

For WOD (workouts of the day) go here

It is important to get out and do your exercise - don't think that you are being greedy. For one it helps your mental health as well as physical health. Two: it is an awesome example for your kids (they will love you no matter, but it is so much cooler not to have the 'fat' dad). Three: you partner will also think you are much cooler ;)

As a mum myself I do not begrudge my partner getting out for his exercise time. I do it myself :)

Anarchist

Likes Dirt
I reckon intensity is key - if you have limited time then make those sessions count! I've got a 4 month old and have managed to maintain a reasonable semblance of fitness through doing high intensity training (in may case I do lunch time cycle classes).

Iv'e gone from a very high volume but low intensity training schedule to a high intensity, low volume schedule. Not as fit as before for long endurance stuff but I've kept the weight off.
Intensity is fine if you are well. Exercise by all means but if you are not up for smashing it , simply put, don't. Bang for buck though SM, I think you are right. You just don't want to dig a hole for yourself that takes months to get out of due to chronic illness ie: cold after cold.