hip flexor problems

lettuce

Squid
i've been alternating between riding and running for the past few years just trying to keep at a reasonable fitness level (two small children have limited my riding time). i've always considered myself fairly slow but wasn't sure whether that was lack of training or lack of effort. after moving to a hilly suburb i started getting hip soreness to the point where i really struggled to move up hill (mainly running but it just slowed my riding). finally went to the physio who said i virtually had no glute strength and poor core strength. after a run or ride when my legs got tired my hip flexors would do all the work and get strained.

just wondering if anyone has any tips - i have a foam roller and have started some basic hip flexor stretches which seem to be working. physio also told me to put platform pedals on my bike.

Norco Maniac

Is back!
ok. first thing is you need to know exactly which hip flexors are the issue - i recommend spending the $$ on both "Weight Training For Cyclists" through the Book Depository in the UK and if you have an iphone the Anatomy in Motion app.

the Psoas group are the main strength for pedalling and support the low back, and require specific targeted stretches. Psoas can be "switched off" by too much sitting (ie and office job) and glutes by poor posture (ie shoulder slumping)

it's really important to know which muscles are the problem. the book ^^^ i recommended has good, basic anatomy and some really well-targeted stretches IMO and is reasonably priced.

Pastavore

Eats Squid
i've been alternating between riding and running for the past few years just trying to keep at a reasonable fitness level (two small children have limited my riding time). i've always considered myself fairly slow but wasn't sure whether that was lack of training or lack of effort. after moving to a hilly suburb i started getting hip soreness to the point where i really struggled to move up hill (mainly running but it just slowed my riding). finally went to the physio who said i virtually had no glute strength and poor core strength. after a run or ride when my legs got tired my hip flexors would do all the work and get strained.

just wondering if anyone has any tips - i have a foam roller and have started some basic hip flexor stretches which seem to be working. physio also told me to put platform pedals on my bike.
Hopefully your physio gave you some glute strengthening exercises? If his/her assessment is correct (and your scenario is not uncommon), everything else will just be managing symptoms until you get stronger and more stable in the hips.

lettuce

Squid
Physio said my hip flexors were overactive and while doing all the tests he pointed out that i had weak glutes. the first few exercises were pelvic tilts, bridging, hip flexor stretch and ab contractions. i tried these but they were a bit uncomfortable so the second physio recommended attacking it from the other side - chair squats and leg extensions. then i read about the foam roller which is great.

yeah, the platforms pedals were to prevent hip flexor use when lifting legs however running up hills is the worst.

Mywifesirrational

I however am very normal. Trust me.
I'm curious as to what test the physio did to determine core strength? Also use flats - can't understand the rationale for that one.

New hilly suburb, higher intensity required during running and cycling, psoas is struggling. I'd consider this a normal response as the hip flexors (psoas) have to work a lot harder to raise the leg rapidly. Take it easy on the ups, give your body time to adapt to a new stimulus.

If you are after improved glut activity a hack squat or a leg press with feet high on the plate are the go. Also lunges are pretty good for glutes and simultaneously stretch the opposite psoas.

Do you have a desk job by chance?

Anarchist

Likes Dirt
You are getting some good advice here! Hips can be a bugger, epically if you have a desk job, then thrash yourself on a bike.

Try some clamshell exercises too, but what ever exercise you do, maintain good form. Do it right or don't do it. Do you have any functional leg length discrepancies?

ADD

Likes Dirt
I have had hip flexor issues before and lunges are brilliant for them. They stretch the hip flexors and work your glutes. Try and get as low as possible in the lunges and don't use heavy weights just yet. Remember in what ever exercise you're doing to keep form. You hip flexors are probably getting worn out because they're compensating for something else. Maybe lower back or knees?

wagon wheels

Cannon Fodder
Pilates

Howdy

I am in a similar situation. I have had some lower back issues over the years and in almost all circumstances the hip flexors cramp before anything else. I run a bit and do a lot of skiing and after about 3 consecutive days on snow I can have debilitating cramps.

I am about 2 months into a pilates program at a local centre and have had a lot of success getting core strength without hip or back issues. Doing traditional sit-ups etc. for me just loads the hip flexors and does not work the core much.

Find a studio that has a Physio in house as they can build a program that ofloads you hip flexors and destroys your core. It can be a very full on 45 minutes for me.

Cheers
Wagon

Trigger02

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Do muay thai and after about six months you will never complain about your legs ever agin. Flats or clips. wont matter.

B.utters

Likes Dirt
I've been working on correcting an anterior pelvic tilt which is caused by similar muscular imbalances to what you have described.

Buy a kettle bell (8-12kg will do) and do these exercises:

Hip flexor stretch - 60 seconds each leg
Hamstring curls - 8 x 3 each leg
Weighted lunges - 8 x 3 each leg
Kettle bell swings - Do some research into how to do these properly! start off trying to reach 75, don't try and reach 75 in one go if you lose form, break it up into segments of 25 swings if you have to.

If you can find somewhere to do them, add in some pull ups.

Hope this helps!

shirtz

Likes Bikes and Dirt
good advice here. i second pilates and add in yoga. ive had hip flexor problems and tried dry needling which helped loosen it heaps. been several months for me getting better but by stretching daily and hitting te gym im on the mend

mr_h._simpson

Likes Bikes
I've had hip flexor problems on and off for a couple of years. Started when I strained them surfing. Sitting on the board in cold water with your hip flexors in the shortned position and then explosivey getting up to my feet did it.

Seen physio and got some stretches.

The two things I have found the best though are:

1. Stretching my hamstrings. Holding a standing-up-and-touch-your-toes stretch for a longtime (without pushing yourself too deep into the stretch, want to be comfortable) felt amazing. Loosened my legs right up. Doing a similar touch your toes stretch but with your legs two or three times shoulder width apart also feels good to me.

2. Getting rid of my granny gear. I've been riding a 1 x 9 setup with a 36 tooth chainring which I find really hard work. It has stregthened my legs, core, hip, butt, lowerback but also done it in a way where they all feel kinda equal. Rather than one muscle group getting too strong for its opposite number (which might happen in gym work?).

I've also taken a magnesium supplement which has maybe helped. Not sure.

Good luck with it.
Andrew

Ride_Guy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Start doing Pilates, it will strengthen your core muscles are glutes in no time. Cycling relies a great deal on your core, but it doesnt exercise it just places it under strain so to speak.

I have a bulging disc in my spin and it helps heaps.

Rhys

jimipolar

Likes Bikes
I have found that yoga has really helped to balance out the strengths and weaknesses in my whole body. There are a lot of stretching postures that deal directly with the hip flexors. Flexibility and maximising your range of movement helps to build up the muscles that your physio has pointed out as being weakened. Strength and flexibility are easy to work up, it just takes daily practice.

The one stretch that will help you straight aways that i can think of is to begin by sitting calmly and relaxed on the floor with your legs crossed like you used to do in preschool. Breathe in and out a few times, deeply.. close your eyes... then lean forwards gently without reaching out your arms, just let your arms dangle. As you work further into the stretch lean your body further and further forwards loosening up the big muscles that run down your lower back and into the hip joints. When you have reached your limit take another deep breath and stretch just a little bit further, this time reaching your arms out forwards too placing your hands on the floor in front of your crossed legs. Then as you breathe in walk your hands to one side and hang there for a few breaths.. then to the other side. This helps to isolate a different set of muscles in the hip flexors, letting one side rest a little while the other gets a workout. Pretty easy hey! No not really, if you wanna challenge yourself more start the whole stretch from the beginning... this time with your legs crossed the opposite ways.. Yeah.. that burns now don't it!

Each one of us is different with which side is the more flexible, more manoeuvrable, with time and effort you can balance things out in your body :)

This one stretch routine will at first startle you with how unflexible you actually are, especially if you've been riding bikes for many years. You may not be able to lean forwards at all over your crossed legs when you first begin, but in a couple of weeks you will see a remarkable improvement. It really helps to make your whole hip joint that more moveable, it'll make you like a giant spring again, ready for all those quick movements up and over the frame of your bike.