Hip pack suggestions?

Milpool

Have knuckles, will drag
Short rides with tools/snacks/500ml water for short trips, as well as filled up for long rides and enduro races.
I don't know what counts as a short ride. I took a camelback the other day when I did around 18km but I think I must've been subconsciously hunching to keep it sturdy, my back was rooted afterwards but I did a bigger ride without it last week and felt fine. For those rides it feels like I need more than one water bottle but don't know if I quite need something as substantial as a Henty.

leitch

Feelin' a bit rrranty
How many km's are you guys riding when you use hip packs?
My hip pack is a Camelbak Podium Flow - it's a hip pack/bottle holster, not a bladder. So I wear it when I need two bottles - probably only when doing 25~30+km - or a "day out" kind of ride where I might want to carry some snacks/rain jacket/camera

moorey

call me Mia
I don't know what counts as a short ride. I took a camelback the other day when I did around 18km but I think I must've been subconsciously hunching to keep it sturdy, my back was rooted afterwards but I did a bigger ride without it last week and felt fine. For those rides it feels like I need more than one water bottle but don't know if I quite need something as substantial as a Henty.
In winter, under 20km I don’t carry water on my local loops, or runs at Youies or Harcourt where we loop past car frequently.
In summer heat, a carry plenty of water even for short ride. Mine is the henty 3lt, but I rarely fill above more than 2lt unless planning over 40km in the hot, and know there’s no top ups.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
I will do easy 20K+ on the Ebyk with close to the 3L of water plus gear in summer (less water in winter) , no issues, very comfy!
even short rides with the family (under 10K) I will still take it fully loaded with gear, just offload a little water, no sense in taking stuff out only to find it again and repack it for the next big ride.
I used to ride with Camelbak packs for years, switched to Henty and haven't picked up the CBak since.

Last edited:

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
And it's here! Love it!

The front straps seem unnecessarily long but otherwise it's really comfy. I'll fill up the bladder later and pack a few things and have a cycle around.

Also the Topeak Mini Pro 20 is a lovely multi-tool :)

moorey

call me Mia
And it's here! Love it!

The front straps seem unnecessarily long but otherwise it's really comfy. I'll fill up the bladder later and pack a few things and have a cycle around.

Also the Topeak Mini Pro 20 is a lovely multi-tool :)
Straps are easily rolled up if you don’t want to trim them. Enjoy.