Ho hum... another cracked rear triangle!

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Just over 12 months ago I received a warranty replacement frame due to a cracked rear triangle on my Intense spider 29c. It was a manufacturing fault in that instance. I received an Intense Primer as a replacement which has been fantastic. Until a few days ago I hadn’t had any impacts on the frame as all my falls tend to be fairly minor. I was about to head out for a ride yesterday and it was then that I noticed my rear stay has been mashed by an impact with a rock. I had to think about how I’s actually done it. It must have happened when I went through a narrow rock shute and caught my pedal causing a low speed otb of sorts. I didn’t think anything of it and rode for another hour or so back home.

I know Intense aren’t the only ones doing carbon rear ends but ffs you think the’d build a bit of strength into them! I’ve had dozens of similar spills on my $500 chinese hardtail frame along with some pretty decent impacts and it had no structural damage whatsoever!

Long story short. Around $1100 for a rear triangle and this is their crash replacement price! Next dually is going to be alloy or steel!

Jpez

Down on the left!
Just over 12 months ago I received a warranty replacement frame due to a cracked rear triangle on my Intense spider 29c. It was a manufacturing fault in that instance. I received an Intense Primer as a replacement which has been fantastic. Until a few days ago I hadn’t had any impacts on the frame as all my falls tend to be fairly minor. I was about to head out for a ride yesterday and it was then that I noticed my rear stay has been mashed by an impact with a rock. I had to think about how I’s actually done it. It must have happened when I went through a narrow rock shute and caught my pedal causing a low speed otb of sorts. I didn’t think anything of it and rode for another hour or so back home.

I know Intense aren’t the only ones doing carbon rear ends but ffs you think the’d build a bit of strength into them! I’ve had dozens of similar spills on my $500 chinese hardtail frame along with some pretty decent impacts and it had no structural damage whatsoever!

Long story short. Around $1100 for a rear triangle and this is their crash replacement price! Next dually is going to be alloy or steel!
Or..... Carbon frame with alloy rear triangle. Makes total sense to me.

$1100 crash replacement price! That’s insane.

Plankosaurus

Spongeplank Dalepantski
i've said it before - fark carbon

If you're sponsored and get a handful of free bikes to play with every season then they'd be ace. but mere mortals that need to pay for repairs and replacements usually dont need the hertache of buying a new frame every time a stick or rock hits the frame. I've been a big fan of intense for a while, but as long as they're not offering alloy frames i wont be offering any of my hard earned. if i ever manage to break on of my alloy frames it'll more than likely be replaced with an alloy banshee.

Jpez

Down on the left!
Yeah, the new GG carbon bikes have retained the alloy rear for added beef. Think Trek might do the same.

Isildur

The Real Pedant
Look into one of the Carbon Repair folks. I've used The Carbon Doctor based in Sydney's northern beaches a few times now. Around $300 or so from memory for a simple carbon wrap, plus a bit more if you want it to really blend in with paint, etc.

Frames are still going strong after years of usage post repair and they're now set aside for when my daughter grows into them, as selling on a broken/repaired frame is never worth it.

That's what I do like about carbon though, that it can be repaired in most cases :)

Flow-Rider

Burner
I'd take it to a private repairer also and I don't think I'll own any more carbon frames either. When you ride loose rocky mountain bike trails, carbon seems to not handle the impacts, nice feel to the carbon frames but yeah, too much hassle for a weekend warrior.

The Reverend

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Raoul Luscher is the guy in Melbourne, or Paint My Ride in QLD. Send them photos and the can discuss options.

I'm personally over carbon frames. They look nice and ride well, but damn they're $$$ when it goes wrong and it's your own fault.

Metal for the win!

Last edited:

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Look into one of the Carbon Repair folks. I've used The Carbon Doctor based in Sydney's northern beaches a few times now. Around $300 or so from memory for a simple carbon wrap, plus a bit more if you want it to really blend in with paint, etc.

Frames are still going strong after years of usage post repair and they're now set aside for when my daughter grows into them, as selling on a broken/repaired frame is never worth it.

That's what I do like about carbon though, that it can be repaired in most cases :)
I did that. $650 and that’s unpainted! I’ve ordered a replacement.

ChrisJC

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Raoul Luscher is the guy in Melbourne, or Paint My Ride in QLD. Send them photos and the can discuss options.

I'm personally over carbon frames. They look nice and ride but damn they're $$$ when it goes wrong and it's your own fault.

Metal for the win!
If my frame were older I’d shove a plug up the middle of the stay and repair it myself. Next frame will definitely be alloy! I have a steel hardtail... it’s heavy as fuck but it takes the punishment!f

Chriso_29er

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sorry to hear about your bike!

Alloy can also take a hit.
But at least I can still ride this and has been fine for a couple of years now.
Mostly I think its just luck of the draw with either frame material. But would vary wildly depending on bike.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I took the opportunity to get the Bronson (is this a capital B for Charles?) in carbon after feeling how my nephew's 5010CC rode. Still happy I did but i wouldn't go out of my way to get carbon again unless it was close in price and I have had zero issues with the bike and it has been hammered by an overweight poorly skilled rider. Pure serendipity saw me grab the XTC in carbon and it will never been ridden hard so no problem. The difference in carbon between the Santa Cruz and the Giant is huge to be frank. The Giant feels like it could crack under its own weight.

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
I took the opportunity to get the Bronson (is this a capital B for Charles?) in carbon after feeling how my nephew's 5010CC rode. Still happy I did but i wouldn't go out of my way to get carbon again unless it was close in price and I have had zero issues with the bike and it has been hammered by an overweight poorly skilled rider. Pure serendipity saw me grab the XTC in carbon and it will never been ridden hard so no problem. The difference in carbon between the Santa Cruz and the Giant is huge to be frank. The Giant feels like it could crack under its own weight.
Thats Xc vs. enduro for ya.

Have you compared like for like?