Holden out of Oz in 2017

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Just took my brothers supercharged GTS for a Christmas spin. 550kw, nephew timed my 0-100km at 4.7 seconds. Bonza car, Maybe I've been wrong about these shit heaps....
Is it a new one? If it has 550kW should have been waaaayyyy quicker than that. Stock the autos run low 4s. It's nice having a pulley upgrade, tune and airbox and to get asked what it put out? Half a Mega Watt...

moorey

call me Mia
Is it a new one? If it has 550kW should have been waaaayyyy quicker than that. Stock the autos run low 4s. It's nice having a pulley upgrade, tune and airbox and to get asked what it put out? Half a Mega Watt...
I wasn't gunning it completely, wasn't really in an appropriate area to be doing so, with nephew in the car. Pretty sure it would do better off the leash. He's only had it a month or so, and is soon to be booked in to a performance shop for some tweaking.
It certainly goes slightly better than my defended did.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
Yep that would be touch and go. Off a large cliff. Mine is the best car I have ever owned. No contest and that includes some Euros. Likes a drink though. And tyres.

scblack

Leucocholic
Here's an article from the Financial Review. We are buying far less Australian made cars than ever - so its makes financial sense for Ford and Holden to leave, unfortunately.

Australian-made car sales dive to record low
PUBLISHED: 0 hour 21 MINUTES AGO | UPDATE: 0 hour 19 MINUTES AGO
Edmund Tadros

Australians bought fewer locally manufactured cars as a share of total sales than ever before last year, highlighting the extent of the collapse of the country’s car industry.
In a year that saw two of three remaining local manufacturers, Ford and Holden, announce they would stop making cars in Australia, sales of locally made vehicles fell by 15 per cent to 118,510 units, while sales of imported vehicles increased by almost five per cent to more than 1 million, according to Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries data.
Overall vehicle sales increased by 2 per cent to 1.13 million units.
Locally manufactured vehicles now make up about 10 per cent of total new vehicle sales, down from 17 per cent in 2008.
Holden, which announced in December that it would quit manufacturing cars in Australia in 2017, was hardest hit by the continuing shift towards imports, with sales of its locally made cars falling by 17 per cent to 57,261 in 2013.
Car buyers last year turned away from Holden’s two most popular models, the Australian-made Cruze and Commodore.
The Cruze suffered a 16 per cent drop in sales to 24,421 units, while Commodore sales were down nine per cent to 27,766 units.

Ford, which announced in May it would quit manufacturing in Australia in 2016, saw sales of its locally made Falcon fall 24 per cent to 10,610 last year.

Australia a ‘small player’

The departure of Ford and Holden’s local car-making operations call into question how Toyota, the last remaining local manufacturer, will be able to keep its Australian operations competitive on its own.
The Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries data excludes export sales, which the Productivity Commission found had decreased markedly from 1980.
Australia’s automotive production industry is struggling to compete against international rivals, especially those in developing countries with lower labour costs, according to the Productivity Commission.
Australia was a “small player” in the global car market without the scale and low labour costs required to compete internationally, the commission concluded in its preliminary report on the Australian automotive industry.
About 1.1 million new vehicles were sold in Australia in 2012, about 1.4 per cent of all new vehicles sold globally, the commission reported.
“Despite continuing efforts by vehicle producers and their employees, a substantial cost gap between Australian and many overseas assembly plants remains,” the commission said in its report.
“Labour costs in automotive manufacturing are substantially higher in Australia than in countries such as China and Thailand.”
The commission also pointed out there was a global excess in production capacity for motor vehicles and the market was fiercely competitive.

“All vehicle manufacturers in Australia are producing well below the 200,000 to 300,000 vehicles needed annually for an assembly plant to be cost competitive,” the commission said.

Camry sales drop

Toyota saw sales of its locally made Camry fall by 9 per cent to 24,860 in 2013.
The top two selling models in Australia last year were both small cars imported from Japan.
The Toyota Corolla topped the list with sales jumping 12 per cent to 43,498, while sales of the Mazda 3 were down five per cent to 42,082.
Overall, Australians continued to favour small cars, with sales up six per cent to 266,413 in 2013.
There has also been a marked shift towards SUVs, with sales of all types of the sports utility vehicle increasing by 9 er cent to 333,511 in 2013.
The SUV category has grown from about 20 per cent of total vehicle sales in 2008 to make up one in three of all new vehicles sold in Australia, a higher proportion than any other category of vehicle.
Sales of sports cars, encouraged by tax breaks for cheap models, increased by 18 per cent to 25,377 last year.
These increases were offset by falls in sales for medium cars (down 11 per cent to 77.985 units) and large passenger cars (down 16 per cent to 52,482 units).

http://www.afr.com/p/national/australian_made_car_sales_dive_to_xM0AA3Cyc63Q3GL6JqOUnI

scblack

Leucocholic
Just took my brothers supercharged GTS for a Christmas spin. 550kw, nephew timed my 0-100km at 4.7 seconds. Bonza car, Maybe I've been wrong about these shit heaps....
Sounds like an awesome engine. Love to give that a spin, lucky guy.

I had a mate who I used to camp with a lot. He had a speed boat with a 1,000hp motor - yes - 745kw. He did not use it much so I never got to hear it, and he would never start it in his street.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
I wasn't gunning it completely, wasn't really in an appropriate area to be doing so, with nephew in the car. Pretty sure it would do better off the leash. He's only had it a month or so, and is soon to be booked in to a performance shop for some tweaking.
if it hasn't been "tweaked" yet, and he says it has 550kW... he's lying. new GTS has 430kW (576hp) out of the box.

floody

Wheel size expert
The productivity commission is just turning the numbers and spin to suit the policy; why even mention labour cost when its clear that the countries which build the majority of our imports (Korea, UK as examples) have barely appreciably lower manufacturing wages? Simple, because its the LNP anti-labour movement narrative. Export scale though is valid and the chief reason the cars cost what they do domestically. If Australia were situated in proximity to hundreds of millions of people, shipping wise, like Korea, the UK, Germany, Thailand etc are, then probably their overall production cost and end price would certainly reduce relative to volume.

Last edited:

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Export scale though is valid and the chief reason the cars cost what they do domestically. If Australia were situated in proximity to hundreds of millions of people, shipping wise, like Korea, the UK, Germany, Thailand etc are, then probably their overall production cost and end price would certainly reduce relative to volume.
So what you're saying here is even if local manufactoring ceases and the government lifts import duties on new cars, cars wont be cheaper because we have to ship them here anyway?

scblack

Leucocholic
So what you're saying here is even if local manufactoring ceases and the government lifts import duties on new cars, cars wont be cheaper because we have to ship them here anyway?
I'm pretty sure import duty is only 5% now, so prices are not likely to fall, no. Imported car pricing should not change.

floody

Wheel size expert
I can't see pricing coming down much, no. Even if it became cheaper, this is Australia, they're unlikely to pursue volume on low margins so prices would stay afloat.

As SC says, the duty is stuff all now.

I would however like to see a relaxation of private importing rules, there are a lot of cool cars available in Japan, USA etc which we're denied access to because of the structure of the SEVS import model.
E.G. because compliance approval is given to a limited number of workshops, a new F150 RHD-converted is $125k in Australia, $24,445USD start price in the states. Even when Ford Australia last imported them they were ~$35k+ over and above the USA price (see low volume high margin model). Or because a workshop needs to buy a car in, go through all the mucking about changing trivial stuff to meet ADR, there are a lot of eligible cars simply not considered because they might not be a big volume seller, e.g. Nissan Cima Y33.

Last edited:

scblack

Leucocholic
I would however like to see a relaxation of private importing rules, there are a lot of cool cars available in Japan, USA etc which we're denied access to because of the structure of the SEVS import model.
E.G. because compliance approval is given to a limited number of workshops, a new F150 RHD-converted is $125k in Australia, $24,445USD start price in the states. Even when Ford Australia last imported them they were ~$35k+ over and above the USA price (see low volume high margin model). Or because a workshop needs to buy a car in, go through all the mucking about changing trivial stuff to meet ADR, there are a lot of eligible cars simply not considered because they might not be a big volume seller, e.g. Nissan Cima Y33.
I'd argue there is no need whatsoever for relaxing the rules. Reason being, we have one of the worlds most diversified car markets in the world as it is right now. If you can't manage a car to suit your needs from Australia's choices, you are a person who just wants something different "cuz". Nothing wrong with that per se I guess but why introduce obscure cars just because someone thinks they're cool cars?

floody

Wheel size expert
That is remarkably ignorant.
The entire set of importing regulations were altered when it became obvious superior quality older vehicles at low prices would hurt volume sales, i.e. in the mid 2000s Toyota were the main force in having the 15+ year old car eligibility frozen at 1st January 1989 when it became obvious things like high spec grade 80 series Landcruisers would become available, which they argued would hurt sales of their large SUV/4WDs. Why can't they be altered in favour of the consumer now their protectionist aims are redundant? Most right hand drive markets have vehicles which are both far higher spec and cheaper used than their Australian delivered equivalents.

Ivan

Eats Squid
SEVs, Luxury Car Tax and ADR were just veiled protectionism. They should go regardless of the fate of local manufacturers.

But I can't see this happening with the current government, and there would be a loss of revenue. But, they did re-open the FBT loophole so who knows :noidea:

Ivan

Eats Squid
There'd be a rise in customs revenue if more cars came in...
True, but the extra imported cars may displace the sale of new cars (GST and Import duty) and potentially lower the value of used cars transactions (lower stamp duty revenue).

Scrapping ADR's and adopting the Euro equivalent there would be some savings in new car costs, which would be a bonus for us.

Im just gonna put this here for no particluar reason. W497

LJG

Likes Bikes
South Australia will become the new Detroit.
Fuck I hope not! Been there and it aint pretty! As a long time Holden owner I'm really pissed. I went and sat in a new Commodore in my local dealer the other day and they are really starting to get right up there, so it is a crying shame. The local built Cruze is also better than the first overeas build as well. I just hope they don't bring in the Chineses build 4 cylinder Buick to sell as a Commodore.

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
SEVs, Luxury Car Tax and ADR were just veiled protectionism. They should go regardless of the fate of local manufacturers.

But I can't see this happening with the current government, and there would be a loss of revenue. But, they did re-open the FBT loophole so who knows :noidea:
LCT isn't veiled protectionism, it's a tax grab targeting those people who can afford higher priced cars and applies to all vehicles over the threshold not just imports. I also disagree with the FBT on vehicles being termed a 'loophole', by memory this was Rudd trying get Joe Average on board for his change in tax policy. If it is a loophole then all salary sacrifice packaging that become subject to FBT are loopholes. It's called tax minimisation and one Kerry Packer had something great to say about it (quote at 2:34):

[video=youtube;nKeu79YSe84]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKeu79YSe84[/video]

Ivan

Eats Squid
LCT isn't veiled protectionism, it's a tax grab targeting those people who can afford higher priced cars and applies to all vehicles over the threshold not just imports. I also disagree with the FBT on vehicles being termed a 'loophole', by memory this was Rudd trying get Joe Average on board for his change in tax policy. If it is a loophole then all salary sacrifice packaging that become subject to FBT are loopholes. It's called tax minimisation and one Kerry Packer had something great to say about it (quote at 2:34):

[video=youtube;nKeu79YSe84]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKeu79YSe84[/video]
Some people are able to salary sacrifice cars that are not used for business purposes, which is not the purpose of FBT. That is the loophole which labor tried to close, and we're correct in trying to do so.

Also, LCT was introduced to make luxury Holden's and fords much better value than their European competitors.

Dene Dweller

Likes Dirt
Caprice's and LTD's are subject to LCT.

The purpose of FBT is to tax anything the company pays for on behalf of the employee that is otherwise not a tax deduction for the employee, as it should be. Where salary sacrifice becomes effective is where the employees marginal tax rate exceeds the company tax rate. By salary sacrificing the cost to the company is the same and the employee can increase their take home pay.

For the purposes of the Tax Act the travel to and from the place of work is deemed to be of private nature. Where an employee doesn't do any km's during the day for work purposes from your reasoning this is the 'loophole' as all travel for that car would be of private nature. My previous place of employment, excluding the sales reps most of the office staff didn't do any work km's. Statutory formula was applied to the cars and the govt collected significant amounts of revenue from it. Annual FBT bill on the vehicles alone was around $500k.

24alpha

mtbpicsonline.com
Agreed!

I remember when the GST came in, the government was sprouting all taxes would go and be replaced with just the one 10% GST...... this was s'pose to make luxury cars cheaper.....didn't happen then, can't see it happening now either.