Holden out of Oz in 2017

nathanm

Eats Squid

12K for a new Astra..
A bargain but only if you're prepared to waste $12k. it's pretty much identical to buying a Great Wall or Musso or some other brand like that thats made cheap, has poor support and pretty much no resale value.

Anyone buying a new Holden now has to be prepared to either drive it until it dies, which will probably be not long after you drive it off the lot, or just take a $10k loss in the first year. I would absolutely hate to be a used car dealer with Holden stock, these guys are going to get reemed, which is nice considering they're normally the one's handing it out.

If you bought a Holden before the announcement and paid retail, well it serves you fucking right honestly. how absolutely retarded would you have to be to buy such a piece of crap at full price. The only people stupidier would have to be any chrysler/jeep purchasing fucktard.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
A bargain but only if you're prepared to waste $12k. it's pretty much identical to buying a Great Wall or Musso or some other brand like that thats made cheap, has poor support and pretty much no resale value.

Anyone buying a new Holden now has to be prepared to either drive it until it dies, which will probably be not long after you drive it off the lot, or just take a $10k loss in the first year. I would absolutely hate to be a used car dealer with Holden stock, these guys are going to get reemed, which is nice considering they're normally the one's handing it out.

If you bought a Holden before the announcement and paid retail, well it serves you fucking right honestly. how absolutely retarded would you have to be to buy such a piece of crap at full price. The only people stupidier would have to be any chrysler/jeep purchasing fucktard.
I'd be comfortable buying new Opel built Holden new if it was discounted like that. Its not the same as a Musso, there are HEAPS of cheap parts readily available to your doorstep at the press of a keyboard button - these are still very common very mainstream vehicles, even if theyre not sold here anymore.

But I turn my own spanners and am familiar with sourcing my own service parts from europe. The average joe could be in for a world of pain if relying on the motor trade to look after it.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
You really think the last Holden builds are like a Musso? Did a Holden dump you from a relationship when you were young and vulnerable? The Opel based cars and the Colorado are decent, no idea about the other things. At the discounts on offer they should be great buying. If I was looking for a cheap townie a discounted Astra would have to be up there.

Haakon

One can only assume it will have knock on effects to the used market though, so even if you dont get an uber discount on a new one, youll get a near new one as cheap. No one will pay more for a used one now. So the hit you take in depreciation may be something similar anyway - youll need to keep it long term.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar

I know Holden's have been hit & miss at times and I'm not arguing that their dealers have probably been chunts for years.... but watch that video from John Chargrogan I posted up.
If you follow his maths it makes sense. As long as you know the risks AND get the correct discount, it could be a smart buy.

I was thinking you could also increase the depreciation number to, sayy, 75% (Infinity was around 66%)... and then run the numbers to get a price that comfortably protected your ownership.
If that price wasn't available, you just walk.
Forget the brand - Look at it purely as a maths/economics transaction.
(that's what the dealers do )

nathanm

Eats Squid
I know Holden's have been hit & miss at times and I'm not arguing that their dealers have probably been chunts for years.... but watch that video from John Chargrogan I posted up.
If you follow his maths it makes sense. As long as you know the risks AND get the correct discount, it could be a smart buy.

I was thinking you could also increase the depreciation number to, sayy, 75% (Infinity was around 66%)... and then run the numbers to get a price that comfortably protected your ownership.
If that price wasn't available, you just walk.
Forget the brand - Look at it purely as a maths/economics transaction.
(that's what the dealers do )
yeah already watched the video.

my problem is their dealers, when they actually were supported by Holden/GM, where chunts. Imagine how little of a fuck they are going to give now, particularly as they're pretty much all already looking for new jobs.

Holden have absolutely nothing more to lose and the government will still be throwing money at them just to stop them completely taking their bat and ball and going home. They've given a commitment to support the brand for 10 years which is utter bullshit. they committed to manufacturing in Aus, took a billion in government funding which they funneled most of back to the US then pulled out, phrasing boom, just a couple of years later. There is absolutely no way they will exist in Aus beyond maybe 2-3 years.

Why would you buy a fire sale Holden when you could just buy a quality second hand car, from a reputable manufacturer, for the same price. I know we all love a bargain but cheap shit is still shit, just cheaper.

I don't particularly agree with joco's theories. Depreciation will still apply at an accelerated rate to these vehicles. So even if you get a Astra for $12k, it will be worth 7 maybe 8k the moment you drive it off the lot. You'll lose around 3k a year thereafter and 3 years down the track the car will be worth $3 grand at best. Get a personal loan to buy it and your getting bent over dry with no chain lube.

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
You still looking for a car? Do that! Parts available forever online from Europe...
Don't think I'm really that interested in one though... Might check them out, but am so over car shopping.

I can see they would be a good buy if you wanted to run it until it died (so depreciation less of an issue), but I wonder how you'll go getting it insured for above market value...

Perhaps if you wanted to do some Uber work, they would be a great buy.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Why would you buy a fire sale Holden when you could just buy a quality second hand car, from a reputable manufacturer, for the same price. I know we all love a bargain but cheap shit is still shit, just cheaper.
New at second hand prices is always better than second hand. I cringe at the thought of second hand when I see how badly some people drive. If you have no mechanical sympathy its possible to ruin a car in 40,000km.

Also, how shit are the Holden's in reality? Are they really that much worse than the stuff from the other major manufacturers?

Last edited:

Haakon

New at second hand prices is always better than second hand. I cringe at the thought of second hand when I see how badly some people drive. If you have no mechanical sympathy its possible to ruin a car in 40,000km.

Also, how shit are the Holden's in reality. Are they really that much worse than the stuff from the other major manufacturers?
Its also seeing how poor the workmanship is at dealers that made us spring for another new one... Really old and cheap ill buy on condition and do the rectification work from dodgy past repairs, but well looked after used is bloody rare.

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
yeah already watched the video.

my problem is their dealers, when they actually were supported by Holden/GM, where chunts. Imagine how little of a fuck they are going to give now, particularly as they're pretty much all already looking for new jobs.

Holden have absolutely nothing more to lose and the government will still be throwing money at them just to stop them completely taking their bat and ball and going home. They've given a commitment to support the brand for 10 years which is utter bullshit. they committed to manufacturing in Aus, took a billion in government funding which they funneled most of back to the US then pulled out, phrasing boom, just a couple of years later. There is absolutely no way they will exist in Aus beyond maybe 2-3 years.

I don't particularly agree with joco's theories. Depreciation will still apply at an accelerated rate to these vehicles. So even if you get a Astra for $12k, it will be worth 7 maybe 8k the moment you drive it off the lot. You'll lose around 3k a year thereafter and 3 years down the track the car will be worth $3 grand at best. Get a personal loan to buy it and your getting bent over dry with no chain lube.
Much of what you say is true. I wouldn't advocate buying a Trax or a Chevy-whatever for any price.

For me, poor dealership support is a minor issue. I spanner my cars because I believe I do a better job and I usually enjoy it.
I have always had a zero expectation from any interaction with a dealer.
Parts? Not worried. As @Haakon has pointed out it's a global market. After a few years if/when supply dries up you get your google fu going (that's what I meant by "know what you're in for").

Your fears about depreciation are a non-issue as long as you run the numbers and get the correct discount.
The discount IS the depreciation hit taken out. It doesn't matter how much it's worth in 3 years if you paid the right price.
You could actually be worse off paying more for a different brand and suffering slightly worse depreciation.
Yes, if you pay too much you will be worse off.
The other bonus is that if you're financing, the total interest will be less because the financed amount is lower.

....and as @SummitFever pointed out, brand new is brand new. You can look after it from the start. Used cars are a lottery - and most people don't do enough maintenance.

nathanm

Eats Squid
Much of what you say is true. I wouldn't advocate buying a Trax or a Chevy-whatever for any price.

For me, poor dealership support is a minor issue. I spanner my cars because I believe I do a better job and I usually enjoy it.
I have always had a zero expectation from any interaction with a dealer.
Parts? Not worried. As @Haakon has pointed out it's a global market. After a few years if/when supply dries up you get your google fu going (that's what I meant by "know what you're in for").

Your fears about depreciation are a non-issue as long as you run the numbers and get the correct discount.
The discount IS the depreciation hit taken out. It doesn't matter how much it's worth in 3 years if you paid the right price.
You could actually be worse off paying more for a different brand and suffering slightly worse depreciation.
Yes, if you pay too much you will be worse off.
The other bonus is that if you're financing, the total interest will be less because the financed amount is lower.

....and as @SummitFever pointed out, brand new is brand new. You can look after it from the start. Used cars are a lottery - and most people don't do enough maintenance.
all very true but you'll still be "Driving a Holden".

Would you ride a Mongoose if they were on run out?

born-again-biker

Is looking for a 16" bar
all very true but you'll still be "Driving a Holden".

Would you ride a Huffy if they were on run out?
Haha yeah. I'd pass on the Huffy.
But I could live with a Colorado.

(....it just occurred to me that I'm no longer sure who I'm trying to convince. The OP?....or me? :oops::D)

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
@nathanm that equation is the same as every car unless you get yourself a laFerrari or something. Just do the numbers. I have actually suggested to a mate it might be a good opportunity to change out his 90's era Falcon which is frankly still a good drive but it is showing signs of being over 20 and not in a good way. He has also had to scramble for some parts and buying from a wrecker is replacing 20 year old wear with 20 year old wear.

Anyway each to their own. Dealers are shite but I have already talked about that.