Holden out of Oz in 2017

driftking

Wheel size expert
Get tae fuck! I booked a Dodge Charger for my rental car when I was in the states last week and they gave me a bloody Camry.

To be fair it wasn't exactly a bad car and whilst the paddle-shifts were a bit ridiculous on a sedan, they were fun to play about with. Still, it was no Charger and thus my long-held dream of being in a Dukes of Hazzard style car chase was left unfulfilled...
You booked a 1969 charger?
If it was the modern one id still be pissed but if it was the actual 1969 charger r/t id be raging so hard.

driftking

Wheel size expert
Anyone else see the tv add for holden along the lines of "while we no longer will be producing cars in Australia we will still be producing cars for Australia"

I wonder if and by how much we will see the prices rise or will we see the product decline to reach the same price tag?
Will those holdens purchased before the close down say if you buy a 2016/17 car, it will be interesting to see how the resale value will change. If the price tag jumps up due to OS importing of the cars maybe we could see cars hold their value a little better for a few years, id also wonder how their 5yr warranty would go.

Its all well and good to still have them here but the money isn't staying here so hopefully by time I actually buy a new car there will be some decent manufactures left here.

John U

MTB Precision
I think part of holdens justification was the cost of manufacturing here in Australia. I would expect that prices should go down for equivalent models. Not that they will.

redbruce

Eats Squid
Article in yesterdays Cars Guide supplement in the Herald Sun had the next Commodore in it. Four cylinder, front wheel drive and made in China.

Also predicted the classic HSV 427 monaro would be fetching $1million in the future (currently $350,000).

Last edited:

John U

MTB Precision
Article in yesterdays Cars Guide supplement in the Herald Sun had the next Commodore in it. Four cylinder, front wheel drive and made in China.
Comparatively it doesn't sound like much chop. Did it look like it'd be any good?

driftking

Wheel size expert
There goes any sort of muscle look the commodore had, European styling is now in with 4cyl engines. Hopefully its not going to be a 4cyl yaris but more towards the lancer range cars in that it actually has power and drive ability. I actually quite like the cars styling the deciding factor if it flops or takes off will be what that engine puts out.

driftking

Wheel size expert
That would be the worst thing if you want a lancer buy a lancer . Leave the commodore as it is v6 rear wheel drive .
It would be worse if it had the power of a yaris. did you read the article it would appear holden are already doing the 4cyl thats why i mentioned it. If they are going to bring in a 4cyl they need to give it power over or equal to the better 4 cyls out there. the lancers put out (yes still low) but decent and usable power at a good fuel eco. Yaris have great fuel eco but shocking power which actually makes some driving difficult and requires more mashing on the pedal.

mongoosemichael

Likes Dirt
Holden has a range of 4cylinders out their already and they are powerful enough. But could use a less grandma type transmission so the shifts are sharper ore you could just get a manual to over come sluggish shifts .

driftking

Wheel size expert
Holden has a range of 4cylinders out their already and they are powerful enough. But could use a less grandma type transmission so the shifts are sharper ore you could just get a manual to over come sluggish shifts .
Yeah true, this new design however is continuing the commodore legacy. So they need to really up the game. They did mention they were pushing for a V6 so hopefully they keep that going. The best thing about a commodore is its not a 4cylinder haha.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
the commodore isnt, and wont be aimed at a lancer... camry is a big family sedan with a 4 cylinder that already competes with the commodore and falcon, that's where it will stay.

ps. that design, as already mentioned is a terribly photoshop (half the bonnet is missing...) over an Audi A7.

mitchy_

Llama calmer
My view is if its a 4 cylinder its not a commodore it needs a v6 or an v8 for that.
times change.

people cried about the F6 typhoon being a 6 cylinder FPV. all the big supercars used to be V10 and V12 powerhouses; now things are scaling back to turbocharged V6 and V8's, and now there are even electric motors playing the game.

Last edited:

merc-blue

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That would be the worst thing if you want a lancer buy a lancer . Leave the commodore as it is v6 rear wheel drive .
Because lots of people want to own one??????
The reason Ford and Holden are moving away from 6 cyl RWD cars is because nobody actually wants one.

driftking

Wheel size expert
the commodore isnt, and wont be aimed at a lancer... camry is a big family sedan with a 4 cylinder that already competes with the commodore and falcon, that's where it will stay.

ps. that design, as already mentioned is a terribly photoshop (half the bonnet is missing...) over an Audi A7.
Ill just be clear here the lancer was an example of a engine that does well on 4cyl.

I was in no way suggesting they are trying to Aim at lancers market. My point was if they are going to use a 4cyl engine they need to make sure its one that works well.

mongoosemichael

Likes Dirt
Holden have made a 4 cylinder commodore before it was an epic failure before as it will be again. Large family cars small motors don't work .