Home Brew

Spanky_Ham

Porcinus Slappius
Yep, my thoughts as well.
The sh"tty skin sack made a chocolate stout that every taster loved..... could not remember the recipe..... was well sorted on the previous Stout.... To this day, regrets it.....

Might be shite, science be a beeatch

S

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Rather annoyed with myself. Just doing my first brew of the comeback and I got distracted when I shouldn't have.

Doing a partial boil with a Thomas Cooper's IPA:

tin of Coopers IPA
200gm of Pale Crystal (in about 8 litres of water)
750gm Dextrose
165gm LME
90gm DME
30gm Amarillo for 30 mins and will likely dry hope with Amarillo as well.

As I was steeping the grain I decided to get a little warmth back into the fluid and put the flame on low. Got distracted for a while, ran back into the kitchen to find the temp at 94. The wort isn't astringent but it's no longer sweet. So the plan is to maybe add a little more water and dextrose to the final mix to dilute the tea flavour a little.
So the wort tasted a little burnt and I think this is because I boiled the extract along with the rest. So I added another 2lt of water (30 in full) and another 250gm of dextrose to balance the burntness. Also chucked in about 15gm of Amarillo and 12gm of Citra at the end of the boil for some fruitiness.

Should have started simple but no, I had to try a half boil and now I have a fucking frankenbeer.

scblack

Leucocholic
Surprised at the cost of postage when using the online shops, even for just small stuff like thermometers, measurers, 500gm tubs of sanitiser, etc. it's still $24, which is more than the actual items are worth. Unless purchasing bulk and expensive items it's still worth shopping local....., which sucks as the good shop is all the way down the other end of town!

That spreadsheet looks the goods.
Try www.craftbrewer.com.au its the one I use mostly and postage is quite reasonable, starting with expresspost packs. They have in-house yeast packs which match big name yeasts, for a lower cost.

Even when we did a few brews in my garage years ago, you were the one trying added ingredients and trying new recipes. You inspired me then to try some different stuff. I am still going with kits plus various malts and hops (having time for different methods with kids is difficult). But you might have prompted me again to step up and try some different recipes.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Ha, I still remember that Canadian blonde, I think you made it, was such a nice beer.

I understand how kids make some things a bit difficult but a partial boil might be worth considering. Assuming you already have a big pot (around 12lt) the only extra kit you need is a muslin bag. 200gm of milled crystal malt is less than $5 and you just steep it for 45-60min and then add the extract, sugars, etc. as you normally would. Not much more than you're already doing although I'm yet to learn how much of an impact it has on the finished product or how many variations of grain you can use in this step to influence the end product.

Last edited:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Hope anyone that uses craftbrew.com has seen this:

Security Alert

Unfortunately the craftbrewer.com.au website was a victim of a hacking attack from sources overseas recently. During this attack the hackers where able to get access to usernames/email addresses and passwords from the craftbrewer.com.au database. We strongly suggest that you change your password immediately along with any other sites that you may have used your craftbrewer.com.au password for. We can confirm no credit card information was compromised during this hack. We apologise for any inconvenience caused.

indica

Serial flasher
Hope anyone that uses craftbrew.com has seen this:

Security Alert

Unfortunately the craftbrewer.com.au website was a victim of a hacking attack from sources overseas recently.
Nice of them to email their customers.... NOT

indica

Serial flasher
Bottled 75 litres today. Looking forward to having the keg set up finished.

Threw the 150 lashes a like in the FV and I am making an Imperial Amber today. Bittered with 5mL of Mosaic resin and late hopped with Centennial, Nelson Sauvin and Amarillo.

Mr Crudley

Glock in your sock
Bottled 75 litres today. Looking forward to having the keg set up finished.
I've never brewed anything outside of ginger beer in a glass when I was a kid......

But 75l of beer sure sounds like a hell of a lot of beer. I would think I had a drinking problem once finishing putting on the last lid :) Merry Xmas for you I'm sure.

Sent from my F5121 using Tapatalk

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
75 litres? Dang, give us a squiz at your setup, mate!

My next batch will be an amber as well, although I am tempted to drop a pale instead for the summer. The amber might instead get prepped for the winter months.

The IPA is bubbling along nicely, might dry hop with a little more Amarillo and a small amount of Cascade (after I read about cascade, not sure if it's good for dry hopping).

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Not with that much on the go, only drinking problem is when you don’t have enough to drink.

Thanks for the heads up on the hops.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
So the IPA in primary fermentation was nice but wow, SUPER bitter. I contemplated putting in a little more dry LME or dex for secondary fermentation but I couldn't be bothered with the associated calculations as time was also a factor. So I have 15gm Amarillo, 15gm Galaxy and 12gm Citra in there dry hopping and will likely bottle one night this week. I am a little nervous though as I think some of the fluid from the airlock sucked back in as I moved the fermenter up onto the bench. It was sanitised water so it shouldn't be an issue but I would expect a bubble every now and then through the airlock as it sits in secondary. However, there is nothing coming out at all. So hoping that's just an issue with the lid not sealing 100% or something similar (edit, seems this might be the issue - https://club.coopers.com.au/coopers-forum/topic/17408/)

BTW, found these at Bunnings for $25 and thought they were a good idea both because of price and as they are blue and block a little more light coming in:

View attachment 341444

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
I also put down a pale ale for summer last night:

1.5kg Morgans pale malt extract - unhopped
1.5kg DW Pilsner malt extract - unhopped
250gm maltodextrin
200gm pale crystal steeped for 20 min at 65c
15gm Simcoe for 20min
5gm Amarillo 10min
5gm Galaxy 10min
11.5gm Safale US 0.5

Will dry hop with Galaxy and I'm considering either simcoe (I know that's not a common hop to dry with but hey, who cares?) or citra.

I'm looking for a light bodied, mid/heavy hop hit with fruity/citrus flavours for hot summer days.

OG was 1041 and the initial taste was good but had a little more body than what I was aiming for, which I'd say came from the pale crystal.

I'm fermenting in the range of 18-20...., hopefully as I don't have a fridge yet.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
That will definitely be different once ready to drink.

BTW, on the airlock thing - I don't use a lid, just gladwrap and the black o-ring. That way I can see what is happening.
Yes, going to try the glad wrap gig next brew, I think. So the gas just pushes out between the glad wrap/rubber seal once the pressure builds up?

Umm, might need some hops in that one.. :behindsofa:
I didn’t really want too much bitterness but more flavour. You don’t think a bunch of galaxy and something else as a dry hop will be enough?

indica

Serial flasher
Yes, going to try the glad wrap gig next brew, I think. So the gas just pushes out between the glad wrap/rubber seal once the pressure builds up?
Yep. I use two layers

I didn’t really want too much bitterness but more flavour. You don’t think a bunch of galaxy and something else as a dry hop will be enough?
My Pacific Ale was along the lines of this...
Recipe: Pacific Ale

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 10.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 22.8 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3.00 kg Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) ( Grain 1 59.9 %
2.00 kg Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5 Grain 2 39.9 %
0.01 kg Gladfield Roast Barley (1450.0 EBC) Grain 3 0.2 %
50.00 g Galaxy [14.90 %] - Steep/Whirlpool 20.0 Hop 4 22.8 IBUs
50.00 g Galaxy [14.90 %] - Dry Hop 0.0 Days Hop 5 0.0 IBUs

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go with what you have made and see what it is like. I'd say it will need more bitterness and more hops for flavour.
Make recipes, brew, drink, learn.....