Home Brew

scblack

Leucocholic
Compressed gas scares me. Each time I pressure test a newly acquired second hand keg I get nervous.
Fair enough. My kegs came from USA used - they were Pepsi kegs. Reconditioned they were $80 each or so.

Even in my brewing I am being environmental and recycling gear.:cool:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Yeah, mine too. I’d like to buy shiny new ones but budgets being what they are. The last three I bought from keg land still had lemonade in them. One of them was from France as well, still has a pretty cool logistics sticker on it.

When I use it I like to fantasize that I’m the bar owner in the opening scene of Ronin :cool:

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Shit pic, nice beer - the amber I was talking about up there ^^^ I was trying to catch the sun behind it so you could see how clear and bright it is but it had the opposite effect in the end.

Also planted my hop rhizomes today. Cascade, Chinook and a couple of mystery pics. Just don't ask which pot is which...., god damnit.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Make sure they get plenty of sun and regular watering (you probably know that already). When I had hops growing I had to compromise and they didn't get much sun. They grew ok but I didn't get much out of the harvests. I used to do an IPA every harvest season that used all my fresh hops and often more. It was always nice to enjopy the things you grow (and brew)

indica

Serial flasher
Looking good @johnny , I'm still BIABing.
Punched out an 11.5% RIS in a 40 litre urn a while back. Fought that fucker all day and then again all day on the first day of fermentation.
Great beer though.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Some update pics of the build:

I used some 5mm angle to sit the pots on. I'll be using a gas burner for heat and wanted to ensure that the supports had integrity. Pretty sure that this will do the job. I cut notches out so it fits relatively snuggly onto the rack.

Bought a pot second hand that had a bunch of crap scorched onto it and used a kitchen polish called Gumption to get it shiney looking. A bit of elbow grease required but worth the effort.

I created a heat shield for the pump as I hope to have it sit under the side of the MLT. I'll insulate the hoses in the hope of not dropping too much temp as I vorlauf but I'm expecting to have to add a few degrees here and there.

I've gone with two layers of insulation. The first layer is the stuff that sits below the roof tiles in the ceiling of most houses - it's like thick aluminium foil.

The second layer is a shitty yoga matt. It's only about 4-5mm thick and I can see myself replacing it with something better pretty soon.

indica

Serial flasher
A couple fo recent beers ...
Brut IPA - Galaxy, Nelson, Vic Secret. Pilsner and rice. Amylase enzyme. 48 IBU. 8%. Dry and fruity - so good.
Imperial Pacific Summer Saison - Topaz, Enigma, Galaxy, Nelson, Vic Secret. 16 IBU. 7.5%. Fizzy fruit juice a mate said.