Home Brew

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Pilsner malt / citra SMaSH for what was supposed to be a summery APA but attenuated to 1005 (when aiming for 1012) making it an around 6.5% ABV IPA with unbalanced flavor.

Hops going crazy as well.

indica

Serial flasher
How did the hops go?

I'm having a glass of Flanders Red that I made in September. Really good sour. Cherry, wine, sherry with a nice sour cleanse on the pallette

Scotty T

Walks the walk
temp

LEX ; on average 12 deg where it is and its lowest it got was 10 deg

I dont think thats going to cut it mate,

you'll need to spend the couple of bucks on the heater,
there cheap and use fark all power.

well worth it!!
@crashtestboy is on the money. One thing makes great beer. Fermentation. It requires good temperature control. When you get temp control you know your beer will ferment completely and you won't get chemicals like acetaldehyde forming which makes the beer taste like green apple. 12 degrees is way too low for an ale yeast and most kits have ale yeast, even the ones they call lager. The amazing thing about kits is they tell you to ferment at 26 degrees, which in all except a Belgian style is way too hot and even for the Belgian you ramp up from 19 over several days. That's so your bottles don't explode, never mind beer done at this temp tastes like shit.

All serious brewers have a ferment fridge, with a temp controller and a heat source, in summer the fridge keeps things cool. I use a plywood box with a light bulb for winter heat.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Are there yeasts out there that will work at lower temps? Maybe not, 12 degrees, but maybe 15? (I really should know this in my line of work)
Lager yeasts will work, but take longer, and need lagering, which is 4+ weeks in the fridge after fermentation.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
How did the hops go?

I'm having a glass of Flanders Red that I made in September. Really good sour. Cherry, wine, sherry with a nice sour cleanse on the pallette

Hops went well, I get the feeling it's all bloody cascade, but that's ok.

I dug up one of the root systems to move it, the growth in 8 months is astounding. Will post a pick in a little bit.

Just trying an IPA (was supposed to be a pale but I actually hit my numbers for once, so it's an IPA with weak malt profile), which was dry hopped to mute the alcolhol. I can confidently say, this is what a beer tastes like when it's over-hopped. It's ridiculous.