Home Brew

LPG

likes thicc birds
Mmm, sounds nice. I've just remembered that I have a keg of Brett beer sitting around. If I have transferred what's left in the fermenter after filling a keg (fermentasaurus so no oxygen on transfer). Last time I checked it was getting very interesting. Need to blend something with it at some point.

LPG

likes thicc birds
This should probably belong in the fuckwits thread but is home brew related.

I brew using a fermentasurus fermenters, I'm very happy with it bit they are a pain to fit into a fridge for temp control. I have a big old fridge that I've had forever and have managed to fit the fermentasaurus in by flipping the stand and building a shelf with a hole for the yeast collection bottle. I've replaced what feels like millions of defrost thermostats, condenser fans, defrost heaters etc. Easy to do yourself if you don't have food to not spoil. The fridge has been been limping along with the condenser fan running intermittently and have been pulling the panel behind the freezer section off to turn the fan by hand until it starts ticking over. I don't have a local shop with random fridge parts nearby any more making it hard to sort out. The seals are also on their last legs. Yesterday the rcd had tripped and it was tripping immediately on connecting the fridge. Compressor motor is probably on the way out. Seems like time to think of the next solution for cooling the fermentasaurus.

So I'm at aldi and see they have upright freezers there for 299. A freezer sounds good, no thermostat stopping the xrash chilling until my temp control says it's ready and it should have better insulation. One is there having been returned so I take a look inside and I measure the width and depth against my fore arm to check against the fermenter when I get home. At home it all measures up and I look at how big and terrible the old fridge is so I rush back to aldi and pick it up. I get home and shuffle the old fridge out and the new one in. It takes up so much less space in the room and looks good. I start to take the drawers and shelves out and suddenly realise I'm in trouble. The shelves that looked removable are not and have the condenser coils built into them. I can't even cut them out. I'll have to see if I can return it with my tail between my legs.

indica

Serial flasher
The shelves that looked removable are not and have the condenser coils built into them. I can't even cut them out. I'll have to see if I can return it with my tail between my legs.
I am yet to see one without them

Reactions: LPG

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Not the first to make that mistake, mate.

I was able to find an upright on Gumtree that had removable shelves. Just required patience.

Reactions: LPG

LPG

likes thicc birds
Happy ending, Picked up an aldi brand upright fridge (not the freezer) 2nd hand on sunday night. I let it settle for a day after transporting it on its side and built a makeshift support shelf. After switching it on to crash chill an English bitter I have ice forming on he top in just over 48 hrs! A good find and I didn't really delay or impact the brewing