Home Brew

LPG

likes thicc birds
Does anyone want some bottles? Two overflowing milk crates worth, see pic. I would probably keep a couple for sentimental reasons. North Shore Sydney, or could bring to Canberra in Feb. All Euro style tops ie not twisties
Same offer from me but in Wollongong. I have a few more than 2 milk crates.... probably 200 -300L worth

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Same offer here in CBR...

All fully cleaned of labels and washed ready for sanitising and filling.

Scotty T

Walks the walk
Lol who doesn't have bottles? I actually disposed of most of mine but I've collected 1 of almost all the beers I've had in recent years. I was going to take photos of them, and dispose of the bottles and cans after, but my mate told me that there's an app for that, and I hate duplication. So I plan to check off each one on the app and recycle. If you use one of those apps, which one and why? Main thing is to list the beers I've had and see what the bottle looked like, not so much tasting notes or finding beers.

I will be keeping my NT Stubbies though. I'll have to put some of the Saison that I am making this weekend in one.

binner

Hath shat hymself
heya all brewbyyous....... would anyone like to share a sweet lip smacking alcoholic ginger beer recipe?. I'm keen to lay sumfin down that isnt just outta the can.....

indica

Serial flasher
20L batch

1.25 kg ginger (0.75kg fresh and 0.5kg that has been stored in the fridge for >2 months)
2.5 kg raw sugar
1 cinnamon stick
6 cloves (the spice, not garlic.....)
2 lemons
Champagne yeast

Puree the ginger, skin and all. Chop lemon roughly. Boil everything for 30 mins to 1 hour. Cool. Top up to 20L in fermenter. Pitch yeast (and some nutrient if you have some on hand).

Finishes close to 1.000.

This results in a very dry GB with an ABV of ~7%. I often ater it down with lemonade for some added sweetness as I can't stand the idea of artificial sweeteners, they taste horrible. Without artificial sweeteners you can't make sweet GB in a bottle and in a keg it will still ferment albeit slowly.

T-Rex

Template denier
Thanks @indica been contemplating a ginger beer but had no idea what recipe to start with. What’s your target OG on this, and what temperature are you fermenting at?

indica

Serial flasher
I just fermented at ambient in the laundry.
Be sure to strain all the crap out before it goes into the FV. The last one I juiced the ginger, worked very well.
OG I can't remember, maybe 1.050?

indica

Serial flasher
Mead on today.
8 kgs honey from a bloke with hives. Half for me, half for him.
The last lot was AMAZING.... after 18 months.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Have got a house ale in cold crashing, been doing so for 5 days now. Haven't had time to keg it.

Keen to do a brown ale and traditional IPA for the colder months. Have the ingredients, just don't have the time.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Had a delivery including a sack of Vienna come in today. Decided it would be a decent thing for my wife to work out with while she is waiting for a barbell to come in.