Home extensions.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm facing this dilemma soon, is there any rules of thumb about going up or out when its only a few rooms (for weatherboard)? And at what point do you say too exp and move, is there a ball park % by cost or % of rooms to be changed? Thanks guys and apologies for overly simplistic questions.

boyracer

Likes Dirt
^^ if you don't know this you're best getting someone in who does. Still a shit ton cheaper option then spec. Then you can afford those 1.5 k loo's....bit messier though...

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Sadly I'm inclined to listen to people here as they are more credible (in my mind) than having those people around. I had some around to get some quotes for enclosing a deck and adding a carport (so I could redo the shed for an alt space & get 2 more 'rooms'), TBH that was a fck around, I had no faith they'd come through with anything better than cheapest, sh1ttest outcome for premium dollars, for relatively simple jobs.

silentbutdeadly

has some good things to say
I'm facing this dilemma soon, is there any rules of thumb about going up or out when its only a few rooms (for weatherboard)? And at what point do you say too exp and move, is there a ball park % by cost or % of rooms to be changed? Thanks guys and apologies for overly simplistic questions.
It comes down to what you are comfortable with. Not what the building is made of. Though of course engineering is a consideration but that is simply a what's possible multiplied by money required equation.

Case in point...we paid a hundred thousand for our place a decade ago. Since spent another hundred and twenty (150 tops!). Agent reckons 280 these days.

But if I had my way again...knock down and rebuild. Yet we'd be in a hole for over a hundred k even today if we'd done that. It'd have been a cool house though!

Ask yourself what you want out of it and how much you want to invest to get it. Then examine whether that's possible...it might help to check out Archicentre if you are foolish enough to live in a city.

Flow-Rider

Burner
I have never done owner builder but have had a house built by builders and dealing with them was bad enough. They done quite a lot of fuckups during the build and only the major stuff was rectified, wasn't worth spending an estimated 10 grand chasing them for the rest, it was things like the turf died because they just through it over clay and half broken bricks, the concrete driveway turned out to be a mess and Etc.

If you know people from the building game, they can show you the ropes and give you some good info. I wouldn't attempt a reno unless I had good contacts but a few mates of mine have and it turned out fine for them.

Daniel Hale

She fid, he fid, I fidn't
we have a weatherboard house; when we looked at what it would cost to add on room of 100K & the fact we prob wuldnt get it back in resale we went with an enlcosed verandah..spanline they are down from sunshine, walls are thick polystyrene with smooth colorbond finish..pretty reasonable for the cost [about a third on builder adding rooms]

PLUGGA

Likes Dirt
Thanks for all the replies, dudes! I've since found a draftsman, and a few reputable local builders. We definitely have a clear vision of what we want, with looking to extend out onto the current pergola area, new smaller pergola off that, then lengthen two quite small bedrooms a couple of meters. Then tart up the second bathroom, which is still firmly planted in the 90's with a nice shade of peach. No effing idea of square meters, I'm a spray painter! Our budget is 100-110k, to keep it viable compared to moving. We love our home (especially my man cave!) and really don't want to go anywhere.

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
Don't let all the tradies tell you how it has to be done. When we did a kitchen reno all the tradies kept telling me that we needed to restump the house or this or that. Sure in a perfect world you can tear it all down and do everything mm perfect. But our house was 60 years old and nothing was straight.
So I just told them all "no just make it fit". And they did. The cabinet maker made our new kitchen and then simply adjusted all the kickers to allow for the massive fall in the room. It worked a treat.
So don't let them push you around. Listen to everyone but make your own decisions based on your needs and your budget.

Luckily we sold that dump and are now building a new house. $$$$$$$$

pistonbroke

Eats Squid
You guys must have been up all night coming up with those rippers.
How about "Ice-only three sleeps till Christmas".