Homemade Bike servicing stand...

jeremy_2640

Likes Dirt
G'day everyone,

After years of servicing, rebuilding bikes and trying to juggle parts around with one hand. I thought it was finally time to lash out and make a bike servicing stand. As anything decent is a good few hundred dollars. So three nights later with some RHS scraps and a Clamp from bunnings for $25 I made this. Still needs a final lick of paint but works pretty well. The only issue I have is the clamp flexs a little - nothing a little bracing won't fix.

Last edited:

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
That looks sweeet! Looks slightly more stable and way stronger than the proline one i use.
How does the clap go at supporting the bike?

miko

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just bought a MIG welder, so I'll be doing this soon. The clamp idea looks interesting, even a little scary to me! I hope you can't over do it!

jeremy_2640

Likes Dirt
That looks sweeet! Looks slightly more stable and way stronger than the proline one i use.
How does the clap go at supporting the bike?
Hey mate, yeah the clamp is fine, it has rubber jaws which are soft enough not to mark the frame as long as there isn't any grit about, and you cant really over tighten it, unless your clever!, it's a ratchet mechanism.

Tom Foolery

Likes Bikes
I've been thinking about making one these. Any reason you chose to position the clamp on the frame and not the seat post?

jeremy_2640

Likes Dirt
I've been thinking about making one these. Any reason you chose to position the clamp on the frame and not the seat post?
Just because I was replacing linkage bearings last night and to allow easy access... You can clamp onto seat as well, Im going to make it so the clamp rotates 90 degrees to accomodate this. You could pretty much clamp onto whatever you want!

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey mate, yeah the clamp is fine, it has rubber jaws which are soft enough not to mark the frame as long as there isn't any grit about, and you cant really over tighten it, unless your clever!, it's a ratchet mechanism.
I know the type of clamp, very impressed that it can hold the weight of the bike in a horizonal direction, most bike stand clamps hold it in a verical position so it sits in the clamp (if you get what i mean)

Im impressed and im not easily impressed...

jeremy_2640

Likes Dirt
I know the type of clamp, very impressed that it can hold the weight of the bike in a horizonal direction, most bike stand clamps hold it in a verical position so it sits in the clamp (if you get what i mean)

Im impressed and im not easily impressed...
And it is a Glory too, so a lot of weight at that! haha

jburge

Likes Bikes
I have recently made a bench mounted repair stand.
I don't have a welder so i used 3/4 inch metal poles from bunnings that were threaded on each end. So i just screwed it all together.
It works great

Tazed

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good work. I invested in a Minoura foldable stand before I headed overseas about 7 years ago and it's been everywhere with me since. Well worth having a stand, and if you can make one, even better!