Homemade Remote Lockout

the_duke1234

Likes Bikes
Hi guys,

Thought you might have been interested in this remote lockout idea!

It is using a Poploc remote lockout lever. Its on a 08 Giant Reign 1.
The shock is a Rp2 (haven't looked into the rp23 yet to see if the same system would work)

Its all made out off brass as it easy to work with because its just a proto type. But will soon be making it out of aluminum. It works like a treat.

Here are some pics and a video,

http://s209.photobucket.com/albums/bb74/the_duke1234/?action=view&current=lockoutsystem009.flv

I was thinking i could make up the gear for people and supply the spring. You could send me your lockout lever so i can tap a thread into it. then post it all back to you for a small fee.

If you were to remove the kit, there would be a small 3.17mm hole in the blue lockout lever on the shock.

post your interest.

Also if you have a different type of shock let me know and i will try and design something for you!

At the moment i am working on a remote lockout lever for the front forks Fox Float 32.
I also want some help on remote lockout levers that can take 2 cables, Eg. Front and Rear cables from the same remote? (pics and models would be good) Like the SCOTT TRAC LOC system. But i can find and good pictures.

Thanks guys

axertes

Likes Dirt
Good work!

It seems silly that Fox hasn't made one themselves yet, surely the demand is there. Especially seeing a little thing like that could push a potential buyer in the direction of Rockshox.

cameron_15

Eats Squid
That is Sick! Nice Job, Lockout is such a wonderful thing, remote lockout is just so much nicer though!

Trevor_S

Likes Dirt
I would be interested in something for the RP23 on my Blur LT 2 if you get something going for that model shock ?

the_duke1234

Likes Bikes
I would be interested in something for the RP23 on my Blur LT 2 if you get something going for that model shock ?
Thanks guys,

Um yeah send some pics of the shock etc. just post them on here and we can sort something out. And what year is it.

We just need the schrader valve to be in the same spot as the rp2. But apparently on all 08 fox float rear shocks they are in the same position as mine. So a pic and we can sort it all out.

Let me know man

Last edited:

j5ive

Jonny Sprockets Bike Shop
A dual system could be made using a gyro cable from a bmx. Probably the lower cable. If you're going to machine a cable retention thingo you may as well incorporate it into a lever, would be much neater.

Trevor_S

Likes Dirt
Thanks guys,

Um yeah send some pics of the shock etc. just post them on here and we can sort something out. And what year is it.
Dunski... RP23 mounted on my 2008 Santa Cruz Blur LT 2

Here are a couple of pics, taken from the RHS of the bike

Float engaged

Float Off

General Pic

Pic of bike

the_duke1234

Likes Bikes
Yeah mate, that should be no worrys, ill send you a pm.

The schrader valve is more than strong enough. Have you ever pushed the lockout lever on the shock, They are soft and simple. The spring is just enough to push that back into open mode.

Last edited:

b_S

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I was moreso thinking about when you prang the bike, having a little bit extra hanging off the valve won't help.

the_duke1234

Likes Bikes
I was moreso thinking about when you prang the bike, having a little bit extra hanging off the valve won't help.
But it wont hit the ground, but it luck isnt on your side and the valve hits the ground or something it would break either way, with my extension or not.

Thanks man

Matt C

Likes Dirt
You could try unwinding a gear cable and winding in back up in two halves for the single lever, fork/shock simultanious lock out idea. Just a thought. Also, the amount of pull needed to activate the lockout lever for the fork may be different so a cam of some sort may be needed somewhere along the cable. By the look of your work so far, you've probably already figured that out. Great work mate. Keep the pics and updates/mods coming.

the_duke1234

Likes Bikes
You could try unwinding a gear cable and winding in back up in two halves for the single lever, fork/shock simultanious lock out idea. Just a thought. Also, the amount of pull needed to activate the lockout lever for the fork may be different so a cam of some sort may be needed somewhere along the cable. By the look of your work so far, you've probably already figured that out. Great work mate. Keep the pics and updates/mods coming.
yeah thanks man, I am looking into the lower gyro cable idea.

And yes the forks will need more rotation than a lockout remote, So i am working on a system at the moment.

Thanks mate

Matt C

Likes Dirt
yeah thanks man, I am looking into the lower gyro cable idea.

And yes the forks will need more rotation than a lockout remote, So i am working on a system at the moment.

Thanks mate
Can't wait to see the progress. It's always good to see people taking things into their own hands rather than following the trend.