hope brakes ?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
They're shit. Don't waste your money! If you want good braking get some of those Clarke's skeletals things. Bazzzzzinnnnnngga!

single-pivot

Likes Dirt
brakes

Cool. Are they similar performance wise to the hope e v4? are yours agressive/ powerfull with little modulation? Because thats what im after! And i dont want to fork out 600 for spongy brakes ive tried saints/ zee but they have way to much modulation for me

Minlak

custom titis
I use my E4's for XC and it is massive overkill but I'm fat and like to stop on the downs. These are very powerful and the V4's are a level above that. It's easy to lock up the wheel but it is just as easy not to if that makes sense. I just feel so confident and in control. And bleeding them is a dream. You will find a lot of love for hopes on these forums.

Joe_MTB

Likes Dirt
I've got the E4's. Awesome brakes, but not on/off feel if that's what you're looking for.

Only issue I've had is that one of the pistons on my rear brake needs a squirt of silicone lube every now and then or it sticks. Must be a tight seal or something. Otherwise bomb proof

Ideate

Cool. Are they similar performance wise to the hope e v4? are yours agressive/ powerfull with little modulation? Because thats what im after! And i dont want to fork out 600 for spongy brakes ive tried saints/ zee but they have way to much modulation for me
There's more modulation with Hope than Shimano. That's not a bad thing though as they still lock up but when you actually want them to. I've got V4's on my Darkside.. they're great. Shimano are good but I had some Saints that were always squishy no matter what I did.

7.jpg

10.jpg

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Have you looked at Hayes brakes? They were notoriously on-off. The hopes are awesome, but a big reason for that is the modulation and progressive braking. I've been rrunning the 4 pots for a long time and quite like them.

jonathan_k

Likes Bikes
I've switched to Tech 3 / E4's from Guide's.

Mainly I wanted a consistent lever feel and the Hope's are awesome for that. They have real adjustments to get the setup you want and then they feel the same every time they're used.

I definitely wouldn't call them "aggressive". You have to pull harder to get maximum braking force.

josh_psyosphere

Likes Bikes
Can't go past hope brakes, best brakes on the market.
They offer heaps of adjustment options, very controlled brakes with heaps of feeling and stopping power when needed.You can mix and match master cylinders and calipers from other models. I tried other brands and nothing comes close. Can get spare parts easily for current and older 90's models & no real special tools needed.
The most important thing with Hopes is the bleeding & caliper alignment, making sure theirs no air pockets trapped in master cylinder and in caliper piston which makes them spongy . If alignment is not right the brakes very squeaky and loss stopping power because of uneven piston contact and pad alignment.

Hope Brakes that i own:
Tech 3 V4
V2 moto
m6 mono ti with moto levers
mono mini
2002 m4 with mini lever
DH4 with pen pro lever