Hope DH wheel 7sp options.

moorey

call me Mia
So...this probably belongs in the confession thread....
Back story. Bought Felix a new 27.5 DH frame. Already had 27.5 boxxers on old 26” bike, and good components, so was planning to swap everything over to new frame with some new wheels. PS, spent everything I had in the bike fund, but you only live vicariously through your son once.
CRC only had hopetech DH wheel left in sram driver. No matter, its same as standard XD driver, so I planned to swap it for a Shimano driver off another wheel.
Wheel arrives...freehub is set in a long way from flange and spokes...hmmm...no way a standard 11sp sram cassette is fitting on there ( not that I planned to, of course)
Wondered if a Shimano driver sits out further...nope...they hit spokes too.

Lightbulb moment...are these 7sp only?
Checked CRC description..no mention.
Look up the hope site...7sp only. Shiiiiiiiit.

My question is...are the 7sp gx cassettes miraculously spaced the same as 10sp...ie, can I buy a cheap GX 10sp cassette and lock out some gears? I simply can’t afford a new 7sp drivetrain at the moment, but want to get the bike rolling.

Cheers if anyone can help.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
One of my bikes is 7 speed. It's SRAM gx mechanicals which work reasonable well given their lower cost profiling in the SRAM hierarchy. But if there's no loot left to spend...there's no loot.

My cassette is on a standard shimano body but has a sizeable spacer taking up the space. Perhaps you could cut down an 11 speed cassette and lock out the derailleur?

moorey

call me Mia
One of my bikes is 7 speed. It's SRAM gx mechanicals which work reasonable well given their lower cost profiling in the SRAM hierarchy. But if there's no loot left to spend...there's no loot.

My cassette is on a standard shimano body but has a sizeable spacer taking up the space. Perhaps you could cut down an 11 speed cassette and lock out the derailleur?
I’m guessing you’re not running a hope pro4 that is set in so deep?
Why 11sp? I’d have to run a big arse 11sp Derailleur to get indexing right.

Edit...Google’s tell me the 7sp cassette is based on 11sp spacing...there’s no way a wide range 11sp cassette is going to cut down to usable 11-24 close range.

Second edit. The bottom 7 gears of a Shimano XT 11-42 are 11-28, and removable from the top 4....but I’m not running a big cage 11sp Derailleur on a DH bike.

Third edit. The bottom 7 on an 11-36 10sp are 11-24...will check tomorrow if bottom 7 separate nicely.

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I wish I was running hope hubs. Alas...I also originally thought my cassette was based off a 10 speed but the chain is an 11 speed and there is an 11 speed marking on cassette.

The gx 7 speed mech is about $130 and pushys sent out a % off discount email recently. Cheaper and less exposed than the 11 speed chop shop. But the 10 speed gx is only $80. Can't figure that one out. I rode a dh track today and used about 3 gears. Perhaps 3 speed will be the next step.

moorey

call me Mia
Right. Who needs sleep anyway.
Bottom 7 of 10sp 11-36 XT remove nicely.
Spaced out nicely, though it looks odd with the gap that the proper 7sp fill with a chain catcher.
At least I can run his current stuff with some locked out gears for now...and worry about proper 7sp later.

I wish I was running hope hubs. Alas...I also originally thought my cassette was based off a 10 speed but the chain is an 11 speed and there is an 11 speed marking on cassette.

The gx 7 speed mech is about $130 and pushys sent out a % off discount email recently. Cheaper and less exposed than the 11 speed chop shop. But the 10 speed gx is only $80. Can't figure that one out. I rode a dh track today and used about 3 gears. Perhaps 3 speed will be the next step.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Sleep? Not while there's youtube to curve my spine and rot my brain!

That looks workable. zee derailleur?

moorey

call me Mia
Tidy zee or scratched saint, not sure yet.
You can buy the chain catcher plate things...they’ve always reminded me of the plastic rings that come on cheap bikes...wonder if I can make a decent looking one out of an big cog with teeth ground off...

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
A big big big ring, teeth on, spray it purple, backed by the spacers used to make single speed conversion.

Actual pick of the vegan compound. Oddly similar to a lost Brazilian tribe.

Attachments