Hope E4 levers/calipers on Shimano hoses

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
The latest XT's we own are M785, which are the model before the M8000. We do have 2 x M9000 XTR's and 4 x M7000 SLX... I can imagine the look on 2 young blokes faces if I ask them about a "wandering bite point"... not even going to waste my breath :rolleyes:

moorey

call me Mia
M785 and 8000 do require fresh oil more regularly than older ones...but running dozens is sets, and don’t have this wandering bite point discussed. Early 8000’s had an issue of pumping up on long runs with heavy braking.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
M785 and 8000 do require fresh oil more regularly than older ones...but running dozens is sets, and don’t have this wandering bite point discussed. Early 8000’s had an issue of pumping up on long runs with heavy braking.
I heard they fixed the pump up issue on the 8000 in the later models, was fixed under warranty for anyone who had the problem from what I read.

Like a few of you I have never had the wandering bite point issue. I have had tricky bleeds which caused the lever to feel fine then almost to the bar then half way then stiff etc. It was all over the place but once I gave it a good bubble bleed with lots of lever squeezing a couple of fine bubbles came out and they have been flawless since.

But that's just me.

slider_phil

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I just pulled off my Hope E4s that I've been using for years and installed some new XTs to go with the new XTR integrated shifter as Hope doesn't seem to have an adapter yet.

But just one thing, the XT was SO much easier to center the caliper over the rotor. Like, first go squeeze brake then tighten, done. The Hopes are always such a pain in the ass to center. Also, mineral oil, nice.

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
Mine came with XT M8000 2 pots, the rear bite point never changed, but the front was all over the show. Sometimes a full rotation on the adjusting dial.

After 12 months I swapped calipers to the older XT 4 pots (M8020) and therefore needed a full bleed. The rear is still unmoving, but the front doesn't wander anywhere near as much.

Says to me the problem is in the lever. And I probably need to bleed them again.