Hope Pro 2 Evo freehub slop

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
Hi team,

While doing a bit of pre Bright bike prep I’ve found my cassette and freehub have approx 2mm of L-R play. I found out about the issue as I was servicing the hubs. I noticed a bit of crud in the hub when I removed the freehub and figured the drive side (dust) seal wasn’t replaced properly last time... but then I noticed the play.

I have Pro 2 Evo hubs with a Hope 10-44T cassette. I have tried the 2mm space behind the cassette which doesn’t seem to make a difference as the freehub is popping off the hub body.

I’m trying to link a live pic but am not smart enough...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

hellmansam

Likes Bikes and Dirt
if it has play now, that wasn't always there I'd be looking at the bearings. If the play has developed during your servicing efforts then you must have misassambled something

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
have you had a look at an exploded drawing of the hub to see if the spacer is supposed to be there...bearing might not be seated all the way home, giving you no room for the spacer...I know the Pro2 have the 2mm spacer between the cassette body and the inboard bearing, but not familiar with the Evo's

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
have you had a look at an exploded drawing of the hub to see if the spacer is supposed to be there...bearing might not be seated all the way home, giving you no room for the spacer...I know the Pro2 have the 2mm spacer between the cassette body and the inboard bearing, but not familiar with the Evo's
I did follow the exploded drawing and all seems to be correct...

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
Bearings for sure. I had the same issue with a different brand hub, replaced bearings and the play was gone.

@fatboyonabike Evo are the same as Pro2 with the spacer position.

Miguel75

Likes Dirt
Thanks for all your feedback team. I pulled the hub apart looking for a dodgy bearing. While doing so I referred to the exploded diagram to make sure all bits were in place and in correct order.

What I found was a bunch of perfect bearings and a missing 2mm spacer (#11 on the diagram). It looked like it was there due to lots of grease but it wasn’t. I found it on the bench hiding in grease, inserted it and voilà, no more slip...

Thanks again team and Merry Christmas, Happy Channuka and the best Festivus for all of us:)

Labcanary

One potato, two potato, click
The bloody spacer! Glad you found it!
I still haven't found the Super Safe Place I put one. I bought some nylon washers of the same ID and thickness, which seem to do the trick for now.

moorey

call me Mia
Thanks for all your feedback team. I pulled the hub apart looking for a dodgy bearing. While doing so I referred to the exploded diagram to make sure all bits were in place and in correct order.

What I found was a bunch of perfect bearings and a missing 2mm spacer (#11 on the diagram). It looked like it was there due to lots of grease but it wasn’t. I found it on the bench hiding in grease, inserted it and voilà, no more slip...

Thanks again team and Merry Christmas, Happy Channuka and the best Festivus for all of us:)View attachment 370733
Nice. It usually binds without it...at least the 27 times I’ve accidentally forgot to fit it.