Hope pro 2 (SS version) gearing possibilities

Lapsed

Cannon Fodder
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone has any experience running gears on their Hope Pro 2 trials/SS hub. From what I have read it seems you can use an 8 or 9 speed Shimano cassette and simply leave off the two smallest cogs, but the posts indicating that are from 2008 and I'm finding it hard to confirm what currently available parts would do the job.

The ultimate plan is to gear my rigid 26" SS to make things (marginally) easier for me as I ease my way back into mountain biking after a fair while off.

Advice on suitable derailleur (ideally short cage as I may be running a road cassette/I'm still on small wheels) and shifters that are readily available greatly appreciated. Cheers!

moorey

call me Mia
I’m running 5 gears on an SS hub. The bottom 5 of a 10sp shimano XT cassette.
Had issues with shimano shadow derailleur fouling. Ended up having to use an 11sp sram derailleur. Read more here.

Not everyone had as many issues as me apparently. Might be totally different with road drivetrain. Long story short, it works.

Lapsed

Cannon Fodder
So is the general wisdom that 9spd Shimano mechs should work? Is there any specifics I should avoid or is it just a case of lengthening my limit screws and hoping? Appreciate all your advice - really glad to see people have had to solve this specific problem before!

moorey

call me Mia
Not sure about consensus, maybe anecdotes, unless @hifiandmtb has done numerous.
Jump on the googles. I’m sure plenty have done it. I’d never heard of it when I did it, but wasn’t looking, and Hifi had beaten me by many years.

Live2DieTrying

Likes Bikes and Dirt
One of my bikes is running a setup like this.
I have a Hadley SS hub which has a slightly longer freehub.
Fits 6 x 10sp cogs. At the moment it's running 12-29. Cogs from an SLX cassette + the 29t single from MICHE.
And a ZEE short cage mech

Last edited:

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
So is the general wisdom that 9spd Shimano mechs should work? Is there any specifics I should avoid.....?
Mainly depends on your donor cassette, its sprocket spacing and the pull ratio of the matching shifter & derailleur. Shimano 8 & 9-sp. systems run on the same pull ratio, so a 9-sp. derailleur will work on an 8-sp. (full-sized or shortened) block, just use an 8-sp. shifter to pull the necessary bit of cable, which is longer than 9-sp.

If working from a 10-sp. cassette, you'll also need a 10-sp. shifter & derailleur; although the sprocket spacing is tighter than 9-sp, the derailleur and shifter are "geared" to run on a longer cable pull which doesn't match anything else.

In any case, there is quite a bit of adjustment available with the limit screws, so you shouldn't have any problem setting up on a shortened cassette.