Hope pro 4 hubs engagement

creaky

XMAS Plumper
The Dts are significantly lighter then the other hubs, but the 18 poe star ratchets are a shocker in a $700 hubset.
Can you actually buy a set of 240s with 18T rings still? Pretty sure all 240s are 36T standard nowadays.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Can you actually buy a set of 240s with 18T rings still? Pretty sure all 240s are 36T standard nowadays.
No idea. I haven't bought a set in a while, but I definitely have a set that started out with an 18 poe ratchet.

36 poe is still a far cry from 120 poe, and you only put up with it for the weight saving.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

creaky

XMAS Plumper
and you only put up with it for the weight saving
And reliability, adaptability, serviceability and parts availability. 18T isn’t enough for mtb but fine for the road.

EDIT: not so keen on the new design which requires a tool to replace / swap the inner ratchet ring though. Are they really doing that to save (literally) a few grams?

Last edited:

link1896

Mr Greenfield
I’ve DT 240 and 350 and Hope Pro4.

All are nice, DT are slightly lighter, but a lot more expensive. Everyone has forgotten that Hope offers a variety of colours. Purple FTW

If buying new hubs, Hope pro4 for me. 44poe works for me.

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
I'll hijack this thread a little. If you had a budget of $1k to build a set of wheels. Which Hubs, spokes, rims would you get? Or would you buy a complete set like spank's, hopes or hunt wheels?

Got my eye on these from Hunt https://www.huntbikewheels.cc/colle...trailwide-mtb-wheelset?variant=16900587323490 Reviews from multiple sources claim that they are good wheels but could you build custom ones for that amount which would be better?
Spank 350 vibracore front and 359 vibracore rear, Hope Pro 4, Sapim Race spokes and Sapim Polyax brass nipples.

gillyske

Likes Dirt
Spank 350 vibracore front and 359 vibracore rear, Hope Pro 4, Sapim Race spokes and Sapim Polyax brass nipples.
Are the vibrocores legit in the rims?
Seems like they took their Oozy Trail rim, stuck foam in it and charged an extra $80 and added about 50 grams of weight.

Thats exactly what they did haha. But yeah you reckon its worth the weight penalty and wallet penalty?

Boom King

downloaded a pic of moorey's bruised arse
Are the vibrocores legit in the rims?
Seems like they took their Oozy Trail rim, stuck foam in it and charged an extra $80 and added about 50 grams of weight.

Thats exactly what they did haha. But yeah you reckon its worth the weight penalty and wallet penalty?
They are a different profile to the Oozy Trail. Mine are fantastic, replaced some Zelvy and they track just as well yet give a very compliant ride. Both the 350 and 359 are available without vibracore, if that's how you roll?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
One thing worth considering is that ultra-high engagement hubs can be a bad thing on full-suspenion bikes with a lot of pedal feedback. I have a Project 321 216 POE rear hub on my 5010, and you can definitely feel the feedback kicking the pedals around in fast chatter. Have just changed back to Hope Pro4's on the new bike and 44 POE feels fine for decently quick engagement when hitting the pedals, but allows a little more freeplay before sending feedback up the chain. IMO, anywhere around 40-80 POE is good allrounder territory.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
I'll hijack this thread a little. If you had a budget of $1k to build a set of wheels. Which Hubs, spokes, rims would you get? Or would you buy a complete set like spank's, hopes or hunt wheels?

Got my eye on these from Hunt https://www.huntbikewheels.cc/colle...trailwide-mtb-wheelset?variant=16900587323490 Reviews from multiple sources claim that they are good wheels but could you build custom ones for that amount which would be better?
Never go pre-built. They use tricks like 2 cross spokes and alloy nipples to keep the weight down. They also tend to use nipple lock which is a pet hate of mine.

Assuming you want a tough wheelset thats not crazy wide.

With $1k to spend I would go a Dt Ex511 or Ex471 rim. Sapim race spokes and polyax nipples. You can get all this from Bike Components cheapish. Use Lanotec to lube the spokes and nipples.

The hub would then be a Halo MT Supadrive (120poe) on a bike with low pedal kick like a four/faux bar. Or a Hope Pro 4 on something with high kickback like a Dw-link.

If you want to wider rims, then the Syntace w33 would be the rim I would go for.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again

Keep in mind with the Hunt wheels that they add GST after the advertised price and in some cases your bank will charge a foreign currency fee. It can all add up.

Also, my experience has been that the wheels that say they are in stock sometimes aren’t and the wait time is longer than advertised.