Hope Pro 4 XD Driver

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Arranged to swap a Shimano Freehub for an XD freehub with a guy on a Facebook Buy/Sell Marketplace. Received it today and it’s got significant marks on the body in between the pawls, almost like deep sharp gouges all the way around. It’s partially visible in one of the photos the seller sent me but wasn’t referred to in the description.

Any idea what might have caused this? Logically I’d imagine it shouldn’t affect performance given that part doesn’t contact the hub engagement points, but is there something in missing here that I should look out for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
[EDIT - It's not this:] Looks like he's taken to it with multi-grips. Possibly didn't know how to get the cassette off?

Refer post #5
Its what happens when the inner bearing shits itself and collapses. The marks are from the drive ring hitting the freehub. I've seen it plenty on my hope hubs.

Last edited:

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Its what happens when the inner bearing shits itself and collapses. The marks are from the drive ring hitting the freehub. I've seen it plenty on my hope hubs.

Is that pawl ok though?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Apparently he bought it new and it’s never been removed incorrectly.

Teeth are fine.

I’ll fit it tonight and see if there are any issues.

Not sure it’s multigrips, marks are perfectly spaced all the way around and perfectly parallel - not the usual mangling you’d expect.

Oddjob

Merry fucking Xmas to you assholes
Apparently he bought it new and it’s never been removed incorrectly.

Teeth are fine.

I’ll fit it tonight and see if there are any issues.

Not sure it’s multigrips, marks are perfectly spaced all the way around and perfectly parallel - not the usual mangling you’d expect.

Its definitely not multigrips.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
Similiar marks on my replaced aluminium one (not as deep) caused by my bearing shitting itself and exploding.

I really don’t thing it’s multi grips. Once you’ve pulled it that far off the shaft already why would you need multi’s anymore?

Edit: just read beebs’s post properly. That’s a special kind of fuckwit that’ll do that to his hub instead of google casset removal properly.

smitho

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Fitted it tonight, no real issues. Seems to spin freely. The rough surface shouldn’t contact anything anyway.

Probably the type of thing I would have mentioned if I was selling something but I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt.