Hope pro2 Evo 24/40t freehub compatibly?

moorey

call me Mia
Foolishly tried to ask this on the FB wheel group. Went as well as expected.

Let’s see how we fare here.

Hope pro2 Evo hubs...do the standard 24 poe and 40t hubs run the same freehub, and the changing POE is in the hub body?

I’ve got a few sets of the 24, a few of the 40t, and numerous spare Evo freehubs in both XD and shimano, but unsure if they are all interchangeable.

Any info appreciated.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Check the pawls between the 24 point and 40 point engagement hubs. If the profile at the end of the pawls looks the same (ie. the tip that engages with the drive ring) then they will most likely be inter-changeable (assuming the drive rings are the same diameter).

bear the bear

Is a real bear
If I am reading correctly, my google-fu says no.
The upgrade is in the ratchet ring not in the free-hub body pawls.
The ratchet ring is threaded and bonded in. One post on MTBR stated that Hope advised against trying to remove the ratchet ring due to the bonding.
Probably not the answer you want though....

shiny

Go-go-gadget-wrist-thingy
The ratchet ring is threaded and bonded in. One post on MTBR stated that Hope advised against trying to remove the ratchet ring due to the bonding.
Yup, I emailed Hope about this when the 40t was released. Same pawls but more POE in the hub shell.

moorey

call me Mia
Ratchet ring is machined in, afaik.
Are you saying no, not compatible, or no, no different?

bear the bear

Is a real bear
Ratchet ring is machined in, afaik.
Are you saying no, not compatible, or no, no different?
No, not machined in, threaded and bonded. If you can source the part it maybe possible. Hope state that you can't upgrade due to the bonded of the threads.
There is no mention of the locking agent so it maybe possible with the replacement ratchet, correct tool, and activation agent.

moorey

call me Mia
No, not machined in, threaded and bonded. If you can source the part it maybe possible. Hope state that you can't upgrade due to the bonded of the threads.
There is no mention of the locking agent so it maybe possible with the replacement ratchet, correct tool, and activation agent.
I’m not looking to upgrade the hub to 40t, just wanting to know if my various spare Evo freehubs are compatible across all my Evo hubs.
Cheers.

bear the bear

Is a real bear
I’m not looking to upgrade the hub to 40t, just wanting to know if my various spare Evo freehubs are compatible across all my Evo hubs.
Cheers.
clear as mud....
Trial and error? Noting the issues you've had recently with Hope and spacers etc....

moorey

call me Mia
clear as mud....
Trial and error? Noting the issues you've had recently with Hope and spacers etc....
One particular freehub, on one hub body, in one frame.
Been running almost exclusively hope since 2002, currently running 12 sets across bulb, pro2, pro2 evo and pro4....first and only ‘issue’ I’ve ever had.
Not exactly a fair assessment. o_O