Hornsby Jumps

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
ooh, I'd be keen to checkout glenrock lagoon... no idea where they are tho :)
Be careful what you wish for. While they are enjoyable, the official jumps there are also disappointing piles of eroded dirt. Poorly designed, bad materials, and massive amount of noob traffic. But there is a well marked map at the entry and they're easy to find.

The entry turn is awesome; makes sure people have some general jump skills before getting into the bigger jumps.
Which is something I always like to see. Especially in this age of apparent entitlement where people seem to want to ride any line regardless of skill.

I think the hornsby trails show a lot of potential. Easy access, good terrain and not just rock and sand like a lot of other Sydney locations.

spikenet

Likes Dirt
Can't be worse then what we have local..... Which is nothing..

Cheers

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Can't be worse then what we have local..... Which is nothing..

Cheers

Given your central coast location it is not too far to ride something new. I'd say hit up this weekend and get a taste! Also follow it up with a pizza at the beach.

spikenet

Likes Dirt
Given your central coast location it is not too far to ride something new. I'd say hit up this weekend and get a taste! Also follow it up with a pizza at the beach.
Yeah true, actually heading to green valleys.. Shuttles and DJ..sweet

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
The middle line reminded me a lot of the dirt jumps at glenrock lagoon, but built a lot better.
The 'six shooter' jumps? Or are there others?

I like that middle line at Hornsby, although I need to tidy up my jumping skills before I tackle the big line! :p

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
The 'six shooter' jumps? Or are there others?

I like that middle line at Hornsby, although I need to tidy up my jumping skills before I tackle the big line! :p
Six shooter be the jumps in referring to. Perhaps not the spot for griping but...just another example of how the place was fucked up by all the interested parties back in the day when the parks, trail alliance, and a large commercial interest came together to establish the trail network...the easiest jumps to access are the 6 shooter. A set of very good djs (the mud jumps because they were made of mud) were destroyed to make them. These jumps see a huge volume of traffic from beginners, little kids, and general noobs that just roll them etc. This is where the beginner jumps should have been build. There is 2 lower quarries, mostly made of clay. One of these used to house a fantastic but small set of djs (called the cliff jumps as they were on a cliff edge imagination is strong round here) and a large roll in. It is a bit of an effort to get in/out of, especially for noobs, little kids, and so on. Naturally this is where the beginner jumps were made...after bulldozing the cliff jumps. Stupidity levels were pretty high back in the day. This bottom quarry would make an awesome spot for intermediate to advanced jumps and has an ample supply of space and material. Plus it's location make it less likely to be filled with those riders who are more suited to the green zone. So much baggage...

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
Not to derail the original thread too far but have you heard that they are rebuilding the Shit Works jumps at the next dig day? For those playing along at home see if you can guess how those jumps got their name.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Not to derail the original thread too far but have you heard that they are rebuilding the Shit Works jumps at the next dig day? For those playing along at home see if you can guess how those jumps got their name.
You know those jumps are stolen as well right? And there used to be an epic freeride trail there...the rest of which was destroyed to make way for xc...I mean opening the sport up to a wider audience.

Yeah I'd heard that was on the cards. I have recently had some "bigger picture" conversations with some of them and it seems we still aren't compatible. Unless they are going to truck in a lot of water I'm not sure that now is a good time to build up there, the place is a dust bowl. Unless they are going to use the locally available "water"!?!?!?!?!?

cokeonspecialtwodollars

Fartes of Portingale
You know those jumps are stolen as well right? And there used to be an epic freeride trail there...the rest of which was destroyed to make way for xc...I mean opening the sport up to a wider audience.

Yeah I'd heard that was on the cards. I have recently had some "bigger picture" conversations with some of them and it seems we still aren't compatible. Unless they are going to truck in a lot of water I'm not sure that now is a good time to build up there, the place is a dust bowl. Unless they are going to use the locally available "water"!?!?!?!?!?
Given the amount of years that people have been building and riding in there prior to the formalisation everything should be considered stolen. I was surprised though when I heard that the jumps would remain as I thought for sure they would just be flattened, although given the track record I don't hold much hope that any of the original character will be maintained during the sterilisation.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Given the amount of years that people have been building and riding in there prior to the formalisation everything should be considered stolen. I was surprised though when I heard that the jumps would remain as I thought for sure they would just be flattened, although given the track record I don't hold much hope that any of the original character will be maintained during the sterilisation.
Cleanse it with fire!

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Six shooter be the jumps in referring to. Perhaps not the spot for griping but...just another example of how the place was fucked up by all the interested parties back in the day when the parks, trail alliance, and a large commercial interest came together to establish the trail network...the easiest jumps to access are the 6 shooter. A set of very good djs (the mud jumps because they were made of mud) were destroyed to make them. These jumps see a huge volume of traffic from beginners, little kids, and general noobs that just roll them etc. This is where the beginner jumps should have been build. There is 2 lower quarries, mostly made of clay. One of these used to house a fantastic but small set of djs (called the cliff jumps as they were on a cliff edge imagination is strong round here) and a large roll in. It is a bit of an effort to get in/out of, especially for noobs, little kids, and so on. Naturally this is where the beginner jumps were made...after bulldozing the cliff jumps. Stupidity levels were pretty high back in the day. This bottom quarry would make an awesome spot for intermediate to advanced jumps and has an ample supply of space and material. Plus it's location make it less likely to be filled with those riders who are more suited to the green zone. So much baggage...
Interesting to hear the back story, I'll play devils advocate here and say that there probably needs to be some 'jumps' that cater for everyone! But totally understand where you're coming from, since those 6-shooter jumps have been reshaped they are pretty average!

Back on topic re. Hornsby I was out there today and the jumps were running fast as the ground is rock hard, there was a quite a few people hitting the middle line! Good fun!

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
What bike man? Me and my mate were sessioning that back run, down past the jumps. The wind was kickin along abit too much in the arvo for us.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Interesting to hear the back story, I'll play devils advocate here and say that there probably needs to be some 'jumps' that cater for everyone! But totally understand where you're coming from, since those 6-shooter jumps have been reshaped they are pretty average!
I'm not really much of a share bear. I was plenty happy when there was a lot less traffic and everything was well maintained by the guys that rode there, rather than hordes of trail trashing goons that leave litter everywhere and don't pick up a shovel. The shovel thing is tricky though as they have been disempowered in that regard.

But it is what it is and as such they do now need to cater to a more diverse crowd. I just feel that it is done poorly quality, diversity, and planning. The place used to be a series of quarries and rubbish dumps...I think we could ease up on the need to protect and preserve some parts of it.

What bike man? Me and my mate were sessioning that back run, down past the jumps. The wind was kickin along abit too much in the arvo for us.
There is more jumps down the back? Or is this a trail?

Ultra Lord

Smooth flow trail with jumps and berms. Pretty fun, the step down is pretty mint and theres a left hand hip with a curved upramp on the right side of the trail.

Theres two tracks leading further around, the higher ones better.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Smooth flow trail with jumps and berms. Pretty fun, the step down is pretty mint and theres a left hand hip with a curved upramp on the right side of the trail.

I may need a longer/wider visit next time. Sounds fun.

Ultra Lord

It's my favourite part of the track, that and the off camber black line coming doen from the carpark.

Its a bitch of a pedal though to get the speed to clear the jumps, but sooooo drifty and fun. Its a shame its so short, they pop out next to the big jump line.

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt

I like the lower trail better, the timber feature and the double into the trail give you good momentum!

Ultra Lord

if they put that at the top trail, it would be mint. I do love jumping into a berm. It's just a shame it's so short!

It would be awesome if they did a descent trail in that style from the carpark.