Horseshoe Bend farm, re-opened 30/10/2016, so trails....

Marx

Likes Dirt
Horseshoe Bend farm in Keilor north/west of Melbourne, has 're-opened' as a park area at the end of October 2016. There are no animals or working farm as such, and the existing farm building have been boarded up, but there are toilets & a water point and the area in & around is open grassland & bush.
To get there you can ride up the Maribyrnong river path to Brimbank park & cross the 2nd river ford over to Keilor (Garden Ave) to take you there.
There is a gate, but it's now always unlocked.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/plac...1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d-37.728189!4d144.842532?hl=en

Only reason I've posted here about this place, is there's heaps of opportunity for some singletrack in and around there. It's off the main drag of the park area & not many people go there yet. I figured if trails popped up there before it got more popular there may be a precedent to maintain trails there.

Parks Vic have had problems seeking someone to run the area as a 'farm' so they just opened the gate, boarded up the buildings & cut the grass in places, to at least let people have access to the area.

Last edited:

kbekus

Likes Dirt
wow that would be cool if singletrack became an option there, it's a nice quiet culdesac and fairly flat so family friendly. If only there were a riding/walking path all the way north along the Maribyrnong River to Bulla... but I guess some of that is now private property? Plus there's a bit of vertical on the north-east bank which might be fun.