Hotspot

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
After reading another thread in here I now understand what the incredible pain in my feet is after a while when I'm clipped in. This is exactly where I get my pain and after about 50km on the roadie and it really makes the riding start to suck. I get it on my MTB too but not so bad. My cleats on the roadie are much more forward than the MTB
Other than a bikefit for my feet and wedges it was mentioned about stiff soles on your shoes....
Anyone have this issue and what have you done that you found worked?

creaky

XMAS Plumper
No harm in moving your cleats back to try.
Stiff AF shoes are probably the answer if the hotspot is where the cleat centres.

DMan

No harm in moving your cleats back to try.
Stiff AF shoes are probably the answer if the hotspot is where the cleat centres.
I've got nothing to lose. The pain is exactly where it shows on that link I put up.

crank1979

Likes Bikes and Dirt
You might need to lower your seat a little too if you slide the cleats back.

I only ever felt this if I used mtb spds on my road bike. No problems on the mtb or with road spds or Speedplays.

creaky

XMAS Plumper
The pain is exactly where it shows on that link I put up.
Sorry, only browsed it before (i.e. TLDR). You mean over on the outside of the foot next to the cleat as shown on their first picture? That could be an issue better resolved with an appropriate inner sole to provide more consistent pressure on the arch/inside of the foot?

DMan

Sorry, only browsed it before (i.e. TLDR). You mean over on the outside of the foot next to the cleat as shown on their first picture? That could be an issue better resolved with an appropriate inner sole to provide more consistent pressure on the arch/inside of the foot?
Yep, exactly like the photo. On the outside of my foot and my 2 outside toes. Worse on my right foot than my left. I did try putting my orthotics out of my shoes in my roadie shoes but I didn't find it really helped. I was thinking of wedges to maybe put my foot in a better position so am curious if anyone runs the wedges..

You might need to lower your seat a little too if you slide the cleats back.

I only ever felt this if I used mtb spds on my road bike. No problems on the mtb or with road spds or Speedplays.
I think the seat is right. I dropped the seat a bit and it hasn't helped unfortunately.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've had it same spot in reg shoes with flogged soles and without arch support. Everyone's different tho.

ozzybmx

taking a shit with my boobs out
Got exactly the same issue, only mine is only on my right foot. Its the metatarsal bones on the foot getting crushed by pedaling with forefoot tilt.

This issue raised its head about 3 years ago, before that I had done many big rides with no issue.

I have 'wedged' most of my shoes (with the most expensive pieces of plastic ever) and it has helped a bit, I got my feet fitted for Specialized BG footbeds, which also helped a bit, I have also found that surround type pedals like the Time Atac MX series are more supportive than the XC pedals at stopping my foot twisting but the most helpful thing is doing foot exercises while riding with my shoes a bit looser, keeping the foot moving seems to nearly eliminate the issue.
I have great intentions of getting a full 3D bike fit at some stage... maybe this year.

This bloke gets great reviews here in SA https://adelaidebikefit.com.au/product/precision-fit/

Cardy George

Piercing rural members since 1981
riding with my shoes a bit looser, keeping the foot moving seems to nearly eliminate the issue.
This worked for me too. I use wedges to keep the joints aligned properly, and my bike shoes have generally been pretty stiff, but riding with the lower straps a bit looser stopped the pain.

I've also been told by a podiatrist the tendons along the sole of my foot that control how my feet roll are very loose, so I need a stiffer shoe to help control everything. That may have an impact too

DMan

This worked for me too. I use wedges to keep the joints aligned properly, and my bike shoes have generally been pretty stiff, but riding with the lower straps a bit looser stopped the pain.

I've also been told by a podiatrist the tendons along the sole of my foot that control how my feet roll are very loose, so I need a stiffer shoe to help control everything. That may have an impact too

I certainly agree with you both about having movement in the shoe and don't over tighten my shoes as it does make it worse. I'm going to see a mate in a couple of weeks who works for spesh and try the footbeds after he measures my arch. But last night while riding I did notice my cleats are very much at the forward end of my foot. Just below where your toes join your foot. Where as on my MTB I run them around mid foot and although I still get sore after a long day it's not as bad. So I will try moving the cleats back too.

DMan

creaky

XMAS Plumper
Could always try these, although REI no longer ship to Aus.
View attachment 350691
It must've been around 2010 it just kept pissing down in Brisbane for several months. I caved and bought a per of these shimano sandals cause my shoes were never drying out. Such a Hubbard.

DMan

It must've been around 2010 it just kept pissing down in Brisbane for several months. I caved and bought a per of these shimano sandals cause my shoes were never drying out. Such a Hubbard.
Put the flats on and wear thongs and budgie smugglers instead next time.