How can i build a decent trail HT, for under $1K?

nathanm

Eats Squid
So I'm looking at another unnecessary project, building a Norco Torrent frame into a budget but good trail bike. So where should i be looking at buying what?

Excluding the cheap price of the frame I'm looking at the following parts -
Suntour Aion forks - $300
Sun Single Duroc wheels - $270
Tyres - $100
Second Hand 1x Drivetrain $200
Second Hand Dropper post - $100
Second Hand Brakes - $100
Stem - $30
Bars and Seat - Already have.

So I'm currently about $100 over budget which I'm hoping to make up with cheaper drivetrain, wheels and tyres hopefully.

Be keen on people's thoughts and suggestions on were to source parts.

DMan

shawly the least hangeriest guy on rotorburn
Do you know anyone in Brisbane? There's a guy on FB QLD mtb buy/swap/sell selling a set of wheels off a 17 trance for $100. Have wear but he says they run rue and the bearing are good. Just a thought. In saying that I've had Durocs and they are very nice for the price.

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
I have built a few bikes up using another bike's components. Pick a bike that is the wrong size or geometry and use the good bits. #1's first dually used most of the drivetrain and bits from a damaged diamondback I picked up for a few hundred $. Picked up forks off here and it wasvery cost effective. Keep an eye out.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Yep agreed I bought a Chameleon frame from here , used a 140 mm fork from ebay and the rest came from another bike of used parts .
you could get a cheaper better fork ?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Yep Ok thanks used a bigger spacer pushing crank to the right , made sure tyre was even and and trued the wheel now 5 mm gap.
As you can imagine big tyres are better with no front derailleur.