How come?

houli77

Likes Dirt
What about cairns World Cup qualification rounds? What do you need to enter?

I won't be riding, there's obviously rules to keep hacks like me outta the start gate, but I'd love to see a young local pinner qualify and do well.

Be good locally for the sport too. Though I reckon Hannah has that sorted for cairns.. Sooo pumped!!!!

akashra

Eats Squid

I won't be riding, there's obviously rules to keep hacks like me outta the start gate, but I'd love to see a young local pinner qualify and do well.

Be good locally for the sport too. Though I reckon Hannah has that sorted for cairns.. Sooo pumped!!!!
As Grover touched on, the entry requirement for World Cups has not changed this year. You either need 20 UCI points, or you need to be selected as part of a national team (6 places).

Dougy

Likes Dirt
I would say it's just ebb-and-flow. Look at DH at the moment. A few Aussies but not like it was 8-10 years ago. There's a lot of disciplines out there and here in Australia XC just doesn't have the following so the sponsorship dollars aren't there. While we all think mountain biking is everything it'll never compete with the likes or rugby, cricket, and bloody swimming in the eyes of advertisers.

If there was a trail-riding-with-mates World Cup with beers company sponsorship it'd be full of Aussies. Just go to any 6-8-12-24hr event and see that most of the field is people just having fun. Also with Enduro, Adventure racing, etc getting serious I guess most of the good Aussie guys will head that way. If XC courses keep getting more tech you might see more Aussies but previous years have really been not much more than road races on dirt.

Grover

Likes Bikes and Dirt

Actually you probably could get on the start line. Just race Oceania Champs in New Zealand in Elite. You'll get more than 20 UCI points just by being lapped out and coming last if the field is small enough. Then you submit the entry form for Cycling Australia to enter you in the World Cup as you've met the qualification criteria.

Last edited:

Slowman

Likes Dirt
Anton Cooper
Karen Hanlen
Rosara Joseph

What is NZ doing differently? That aint money.
Land managers in NZ have a totally different mentality. We may think we lead an outdoor lifestyle in Australia but camping, hiking (they call tramping), adventure racing, skiing and mountain biking seem to be far more revered. Anyway, the landmanagers are far more willing to allow access to their land for pursuit of all these types of activities without the same concerns over public liability issues. So having easy access to world class venues is one difference. So running races must be easier, it must help. I haven't been to Rotorua yet but will make it over the ditch at some stage for some fun.

caad9

Likes Bikes and Dirt
This is an interesting point Slowman, also one which I think may not directly effect the top athletes in NZ, but certainly helps with the cycling development as a whole.
In NZ, everyone is covered for 'accidents' by the government, therefor land owners/managers/trail builders etc can do as they please without the risk of being taken to the cleaners through an unfortunate 'accident'.

Having only experienced Rotorua recently, I can't imagine a situation where anything like it would run in Australia.
There is a constant passing of blame when things go wrong and as a result, no one is willing to stick their neck out.

We have so many prime areas for MTB'ing in Victoria alone, but I'm afraid it will never get anywhere with the current mindset of our state.

Of all the professional and semi-professional riders we have, I'd hazard a guess that a very large portion of training time is spent on 'illegal' tracks.

Le Matelot

Canberra Off-Road Cyclists
The entry means are:
  1. Be a member of a UCI Registered Pro Team,
  2. Have 20 UCI Points, or
  3. Be entered as part of the national Federation (Australian) Team. No UCI points needed for this but there is a limit of 6 riders per category (12 for U19 downhill - noting that there is no U19 XCO in the World Cups this year) and you must ride in the National Team Jersey.
For 1 your pro team enters you. For 2 and 3 your national federation enters you. There is no limit on the number of riders who can enter with 20 UCI points.

The MTBA Website has more information and selection/entry requirements. The main one to read for Cairns would be:

2014 MTB WORLD CUP AND UCI XCO JUNIOR SERIES
SELECTION CRITERIA AND ENTRY INFORMATION​

which is about the 6th document down from the top - and make sure you check the last page of it for the schedule of when your UCI points are counted and when you need to apply to MTBA.

You can earn UCI points in Australia at the rounds of Subaru MTB National Series (one more round to go this weekend of 22/23 Feb at Thredbo for DH and Moama for XCO/XCE), and Oceanias in NZ on 15/16 March. As has been said before, Oceanias is an easy way to get UCI points. 26th place in Elite will get you 20 points.

You will also earn points from the Australian National Champs in Bright on 8-10 March BUT those points don't get added by the UCI until week 29 of the year so they won't help you for Cairns - although last year's national champs points will, because your points are valid for a rolling 12 months.

higiff

Likes Dirt
didnt want to start a new thread.
but looking at UCI licences cycling Australia website has 6 month international licences for $1,945.00 on top of your membership fees
Why is it so expensive? I understand the insurance and stuff but looking on the NZ website its a free upgrade to international licence on top of $150 annual membership...
Surely that cant be right
Im heading over to canda and wanna race BC cup / NW cup but having to pay 2k for an international licence just so I can race kinda shits me

Last edited:

Cúl-Báire

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Had this conversation with a friend of mine that raced (road) in Europe this year; the figures on the CA website are correct. If I understand correctly he took out a license in Singapore (dual citizen) because their international license was something like $90AUD extra per year.

The cost CA charge for licensing in this country and international license is farcical!!! :frusty:

cleeshoy

Eats Squid
Had this conversation with a friend of mine that raced (road) in Europe this year; the figures on the CA website are correct. If I understand correctly he took out a license in Singapore (dual citizen) because their international license was something like $90AUD extra per year.

The cost CA charge for licensing in this country and international license is farcical!!! :frusty:
I agree the costs is pretty insane ($3000 for 10 months?!). I am guessing the majority of cost is the insurance?
http://www.cycling.org.au/Portals/1...es/2015 International Licence Application.pdf

akashra

Eats Squid
The problem is the mandatory insurance component of the licensing, which makes up a large chunk. Best ring the membership team.
Grover covered this really well in one of his posts.