How do I make a Homemade Chainstay Protector?

harleytrialsrider

Likes Bikes
hey all,
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about making a chainstay protector at home? if you dont know a chainstay protector is a thing that wraps around the part of the frame that the chain hits on. This is used because the chain hits the frame and takes paint off and then it can begin to rust.

Thanks, Harley.

Rider15

Likes Bikes and Dirt
An old tube, cut to size, wrap it around the chain stay and apply some zip ties to hold it on.

Or some handle bar tape and wrap that around the chain stay and a zip tie at either end to make sure it stays there. The handlebar tap looks much better.

Or buy one from a shop but I guess that isnt a DIY

kalem

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I'm a big fan of using the innertube, wrap it like you would wrap bar tape, with a couple of zip ties and it last's forever, and is as good as silent. Wrap it tight and keep it neat and it'll look better than the ones you buy, which never last and are covered in some logo usually.

holdenutes_93

Likes Dirt
Lizard Skin chain stay protectors cost only $15 but personally I prefer to make mine with handlebar tape and then put a couple of cable ties on the end.

DHD Jr

Likes Dirt
superglue?

I've seen a few people with super glue on their chainstay... But i think it would be hard to get off. Otherwise I have an old inner tube on my bike, it's quiet, and protective,{- just do that.
cheers

RONEY

Likes Bikes and Dirt
i have done this once to see how it would work, but i used to always use old bike tubes, and then i wa going hard rubbishing and found so many roady tyres, so i cut the hard lining off the lips off them and wrapped them round and they are indestructable, no chain will ever dint your frame!!

PSYCHO-T

Likes Dirt
Get a scrap peice of leather/vinal (sp) and wrap it around and use gaffa tape, it works a treat ;)

but other options include
tubes
bar tape
gaffa tape
garden hose

just improv mate
its the Dh way :p

blakie49

Likes Dirt
Put double sided sticky tape on yor swing arm and out a peice of rubber or whatever you have handy on top of the tape.

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Bike tube works best, or lizard skin... you can get special contact type stuff too. Stick some velcro (the fluffy side) where the chain is most likley to hit, this makes the bike sound/ ride smoother.

SMIIISH

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I have seen people use duct and gafa tape. Not my cuppa tea but it works. I have also seen people use that clear flexi plastic tubing which you can get from your local hardware supply by the metre. Dirt cheap too.

A tip for the inner tubes is to cut them open, so they aren't super chunky and heavy, simply because you don't need double thickness.
So I cut them just next to the valve so that the tube has an open end. I then feed it down a broom stick. It gives you somehting solid to run the blade along to cut the tube open, length-wise. It also doubles the width of the tube so you dont have to wrap it around your frame so many times.

rhyshocking

Likes Bikes
i think the inner tube works fine, i put it on my stp because the chain was hitting on drops etc.
all i did was cut the old tube to size and wrap electrical tape around it firmly, hasnt moved yet! :)

125rider

Squid
just leave it

i think i couple of little chips looks better then having a old shitty tube around your frame if you want it to look good i would just got buy one

Lorday

Eats Squid
I have seen people use duct and gafa tape. Not my cuppa tea but it works...
..it work the best. Electrical/boot tape can give you a similiar less noticible protector and it can be done in different colours.

But each to their own.