How do I make a Homemade Chainstay Protector?

sockman

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Old wetsuit, or a piece of old wetsuit material cut to size and zip tied on. Works a charm.

Gripo

Eats Squid
I've started using plumbers self amalgamating tape which should be available from most hardware stores ie. Mitre10

It's lighter than a cut tube (but of course it's thinner) and is still durable.

Frameskin.com offer similar.

binner

Hath shat hymself
cheap easy and clean

the best for me so far has been sikaflex silicon clear, if you are any good at mouldmaking or moulding to shapes you can "tool' this sika real nice. I use to do it on my turner DHR frames and worked a treat. When its worn down you just get a nice surgical grade blade surgeons knife and lance it off like yr cutting off warts......... yum.

No Skid Marks

Blue Mountain Bikes Brooklyn/Lahar/Kowa/PO1NT Raci
I use water proof grip tape for showers and pools. Lasts a decent amount of time. I get the rubber type one, softens the noise too.

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've started using plumbers self amalgamating tape which should be available from most hardware stores ie. Mitre10

It's lighter than a cut tube (but of course it's thinner) and is still durable.

Frameskin.com offer similar.
How do you find this works for noise dampening? Or is is mostly to prevent paint/frame damage?

Gripo

Eats Squid
How do you find this works for noise dampening?
Clutched mech and 1x has stopped most noise nowadays....though I still add some "furry" side of stick-on velcro tape (from Spotlight stores) to the underside of the chainstay.....near the lower link on vpp bikes where the chain runs closest....

Have a squiz at my Bronson in pyr forum....

Ev

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Clutched mech and 1x has stopped most noise nowadays....though I still add some "furry" side of stick-on velcro tape (from Spotlight stores) to the underside of the chainstay.....near the lower link on vpp bikes where the chain runs closest....

Have a squiz at my Bronson in pyr forum....
I too run type 2/ narrow wide setup, and that has eliminated most noise, by my banshee has a dropped chainstay, meaning I still get a bit of slap towards the front near to pivot. I want it as close to silent as I can get it!

Gripo

Eats Squid
I'm more likely to hear creaking pivots/pedals/seatpost/cassette etc. etc. than chainslap nowadays....

dhr85

Likes Bikes
you can buy a one piece wrap from ebay and cut it to your needs, for exmpl a carbon look tape or any other to match and it protects, also very easy to remove

brendonj

Likes Dirt
the best for me so far has been sikaflex silicon clear, if you are any good at mouldmaking or moulding to shapes you can "tool' this sika real nice. I use to do it on my turner DHR frames and worked a treat. When its worn down you just get a nice surgical grade blade surgeons knife and lance it off like yr cutting off warts......... yum.
I have used this a lot. It takes more skill to apply, but gives a great outcome. It is light, neat and you can put it exactly where you need it. Doesn't need to wrap all the way around the chain stay. Also have colour choices. I prefer polyurethane now though as it is more durable.

You can grab the self amalgamating tape from Supercheap for $7 a roll. More than enough to do 2-3 bikes. I wrapped mine quite thick (overlapped) so it does a good job to minimise the noise of chain slap when I forget to put the derailleur clutch back on. I am way happier with this than with the lizard skin i had previously.

How do you guys go with removing the self amalgamating tape? The Nitto stuff I used stuck like no tomorrow...

I've gone back to zip ties and old tyre tubes...