how do you cope with the heat

scoobydid

Likes Dirt
My issue is how to stop getting a sunburnt forhead!! I put sunscreen everywhere else but can't stand it running into my eyes. Suggestions? Helmet visors are pretty useless.
I sometimes use a bandana (the Marco Pantani style I think they're called). You can pick them up from cyclingsports, Torpedo7 sometimes have them or Probikekit.
Their made of a thin, breathable, quick drying material and should soak up the sweat but still leave you relatively cool.
I also have a couple of Buffs. These aren't bad either and can be worn in quite a few different ways.

SGT. BILcO

Likes Dirt
I have never felt the heat as being "really freakin hot" i wear a jumper when its 26 degrees though. But hot to me is like 35+ degrees. But whilst riding wear some of those neck tie thingy's that have crystals in em, and you just put them in a bucket of water in your fridge for a little while.

Curlz12

Likes Dirt
Well when ever i ride past a hose i'll drench myself then keep riding :D

oh and the keep the fluids up as well

mlsred

Likes Dirt
step 1: shave your head almost bald
step 2:take a hair spray bottle and put water in it
step 3: spray it on your nearly bald head

ta da instant air con

Bacca

Likes Dirt
Tom: "Let's cross over live to Ollie Williams. Ollie, how are you beating the heat?"

Ollie: "Swimmin' hole!"

:):p:D

domtigani

Likes Dirt
everything that people are saying is all correct like loose clothing, lots of water, keep in the shade where you can and what not, but to be honest i think the best thing to do is not think about it and just enjoy your riding. if your not even thinking about it but worrying about the next corner or focussing on other things, your body still functions just the same so dont let a bit of discomfort put you off, just dont worry about it! the only time to be cautious is when you start to feel a bit off (if you know the symptoms of heat stroke and exhaustion) in which case just dont ride. stop, drink (in little sips), sit before it gets out of hand

whitey89

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Stuff it, i still ride. As long as you keep moving, XC is alright. Wouldnt recomend DH though.

Nmag

Likes Dirt
Some thoughts (I hate the heat):

Go into Rebel and ask them to show you the coolmax and nikefit shirts that have the wicking system and are all meshy. The ones that those runners who look like they are being tortured (rather than enjoying their exercise) wear. I find the Nike and Asics ones work the best. The Addidas ones are a bit thick and warm for me.

My white Nike one seems to be the best in summer for me. Just don't cry when you get marks/grease/dirt/stains on it, it's an exercise shirt, not a tuxedo, who cares if it stains?

Also, bright shirts (orange/red etc) look better if your doing video/helmet cam etc. Dark ones look boring when you have footage following a rider.

Don't stop at the top of hills once you get up there. Soon as you stop your temperature starts going up. Keep rolling slowly to get a little breeze.

Spit some water down the front of your shirt as you roll down the start of a hill after a big uphill.

Get a run up to the hills.

Take your helmet (and eyewear) off if your just riding up a long slow safe fire trail. I hang it on my left grip.

Don't smoke any weed, or drink alcohol before ride, it makes you feel even more stuffed.

Have an energy drink ready for when you finish, cool shower, recover well to ride again another day. Not too many beers after.

RangaRMX

Likes Dirt
Stop being a girl, and become a man =]
Lol, it depends if you don't like the heat or can't stand the heat..one you can endure, one you'll pass out..depends if you can handle it, if you can, bear it and it'll bet better. If it's actually taking you down and making you ill then avoid that time of the day as there's probably little that we can do short of recommending you see a health professional as to why the sun messes you up so much.

.. ignore people who say harden up, it'll just lead to heatstroke, a couple of days feeling like shit and time off the bike.

Even armstrong has been saying that riding in the heat is pretty much just surviving, that you can't perform properly.
Umm no? What the hell? Ignore the people telling you to toughen up, because becoming tougher is bad for you eh!

You'd have to be a complete bloody moron to be able to get heatstroke if you follow the right precautions, sure if people were saying "just ride, keep riding till you pass out, next time you'll pass out after a longer period of time" then maybe ignore us. But I'm fairly sure there's heaps of people who don't like the heat, but still get on with it, that is called hardening the fuck up. I bet mommy didn't tell you that.

Nice point about Armstrong, except he's a racer..and racers have to do just that, race..umm so he can't handle the heat as much as others..yeah, so? So when it's hot he's at a disadvantage, yeah, so? There is absolutely no reference as to what context he said that, quite stupid if you read that and go "oh shit, Armstrong can't stand the heat, I can't either!!!"
Performing properly to his standard is a little different to simply riding in the heat for most of us..

Go to Bunning’s buy some Concrete and harden up
- Move up to North Queensland and have the heat as well as Humidity
Yeah, move to Qld and we'll see what hardening up is about, 30+ degree winter days are pretty fun!! Let alone summer where my shirt is soaked out back in a minute.

If you're smart and don't go faster or harder than you can physically handle then you should be fine in terms of not overdoing yourself. If you take in the right amount of fluid, have enough energy stores (food, beforehand), and you're generally aware of what your body can and can't endure then you should be fine. As for adapting to this heat, then there's nothing we can say or do to help you, the only thing that will help is to get out and ride. Instead of thinking how hot it is, think of all the cool riding you'll be doing and then the swim after...if you can swim afterwards that is..

Most of all, deal with the heat, as I said if it's messing you up then obviously you're a fool for going on the same way. But if it's merely uncomfortable then you've gotta get out and get on it to get on top of it!

(I still hate the heat so much, but hey, I'll ride all day, sink tons of water and the worst thing that will happen is I'll get a tad pink from exposure) I guess it's like hard work and labor, some people can't do it because they're naturally quitters and weak thinkers, it's really not that hard, just physically and mentally demanding at times...beers at the end of the day fix all of that!!

Lorday

Eats Squid
Settle dude, Armstrong trains in the heat but there get a point were it is too hot to ride/perform properly, its anatomical not mental when it get to that certain tempreture.

Anyway, when it get hot (ie today) I play cricket..... don't try this at home, its stupid. Swimming is always fun, and is the best way to deal with the heat!