How do you get to the top of Stromlo?

Likes Bikes
Beginner rider here did my first ride up and down Stromlo yesterday. Really enjoyed the run down Western Wedgetail, Skyline, Luge and Duffy (need to learn how to ride berms though).
To get to the top, we started in the car park, ride up Cockatoo Switchbacks, down the fire road to Blue Gums, Bobby Pin Climb, Emu Run, ABC Switchbacks, City View, Red Rock, Rockys then Tall Trees before we got to any downhill.
I was screwed from all the climbing before we could enjoy going down.
I’m assuming there’s an easier route up?
We didn’t have time for a 2nd run down but even if we did, not sure I wanted to climb back up the same route.
Is this how everyone else gets to the top? (apart from the shuttle bus which I assume isn’t running at the moment).
Cheers

sc.

Likes Dirt
You can ride the fire roads to the top, it's a little easier but in my experience not a huge difference and not as fun. There are other trails to the top as well, but they're more challenging than the ones you've already ridden.
A few months of regular riding will see you climbing up the route you described above a lot easier than you are now, but it's not really supposed to be super easy is it?

Likes Bikes
You can ride the fire roads to the top, it's a little easier but in my experience not a huge difference and not as fun. There are other trails to the top as well, but they're more challenging than the ones you've already ridden.
A few months of regular riding will see you climbing up the route you described above a lot easier than you are now, but it's not really supposed to be super easy is it?
Thanks - happy with the route if that’s the “normal” way up. I’ll need to tough it out and get used to it.

hifiandmtb

Sphincter beanie
Yep earn your turns. At least the singletrack route to the top has some soft pedal sections. Once you get some fitness it's nothing...

Tubbsy

Packin' a small bird
Staff member
You did choose the quickest way back down to the car park. There are longer loops once you start descending from the top which make the climb feel more worthwhile, although there will be some uphill sections.

I can see how loop 2 can feel like a lot of climbing for not much result if you’re not into the ups.

Tim_the_Clyde

Likes Dirt
As others have said it’s the easiest way to the top. You just need to build the bike fitness up, which is often only loosely related to general fitness.

When I started this climb it was really hard work. I had to stop and grab a breather multiple times.

I’m a big fella and not super fit or fast but it’s definitely far easier than it used to be. Easily under half an hour at what I would consider a reasonable pace without busting myself up. I do the climb once a week....currently at night to avoid the crowds.

I’m currently riding more of the heartbreaker climb during the day. I am guessing it’s quicker up but definitely harder work. There are a couple of more technical sections which I am yet to master. I would recommend getting on top of the main climb first.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
First time I did that climb I was surprised by how easy it was. It has become progressively harder each time I do it :(