How do you maintain food discipline?

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I just ram calories down my throat and lift weights. Works for me. Lifting correctly takes more discipline than diet any day, don't punish yourself foodwise. Don't sink piss, that's the destroyer of willpower and bodies, seriously
True, skip the booze and snarf down the meth! That stuff keeps you focused and energised through the big session on the weights, then cardiovascular, then the pool, more weights, more cardiovascular, the club, the brothel, running from the bike gang, sticking up the servo, running from the cops, doing the worm nude.down the main street at 7am...it just keeps on giving.

safreek

I see you understand the program, lots of fun and fitness, doing packety hoes, how much more fun does life get

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
First step has been cutting out sugary drinks (soft drink and fruit juice). Been going over a week and so far so good. I have been sticking to water, coffee (no sugar) and.....ummmm beer.
Currently in week 3 of maintaining the discipline of no sugary drinks and I've noticed my first gain!

I wore a new pair of TLD shorts about a month ago and they were cutting in on my waist, really uncomfortable so I haven't worn them since! I put the same shorts on this morning for the commute to work and they fitted fine!

I definitely feel a whole lot less bloated after giving up the soft drink!

droenn

Fat Man's XC President
Good work - cutting out soft drink and fruit juice is pretty hard at first. Beer is harder though :)

link1896

Mr Greenfield
well done for getting off sugary drinks.

I ate a complex carbohydrate (GF bread) for the first time since November last year. fuck the energy in 4 slices of bread is INSANE.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
I ate half a loaf of sour dough last night as an excuse to tuck into a block of butter. This cold weather makes slicing the butter like cheese that little bit easier!

fridgie

Likes Dirt
Currently in week 3 of maintaining the discipline of no sugary drinks and I've noticed my first gain!

I wore a new pair of TLD shorts about a month ago and they were cutting in on my waist, really uncomfortable so I haven't worn them since! I put the same shorts on this morning for the commute to work and they fitted fine!

I definitely feel a whole lot less bloated after giving up the soft drink!
Congrats.

I cut out soft drink about 3months ago. Was going though over 60 cans of coke a fortnight. Haven't bought any since, but do allow myself a cordial a day at work as need more than water sometimes. Coffee, well, I bought a new machine and am having about 3 a day (double shot) but have dropped out all sugar from them now, used to be a 2 sugar kinda guy.

Working 5 days a week in a trade, gym 3 days a week, cycling training 2 days a week plus riding when I can... Making better food choices... After 2 months my strength had gone up and I was getting up climbs in gears I didn't think I'd be able to, developed a reasonable 6 pack, dropped body fat but maintained weight, feel better, moods mellowed... What's not to like! Lol

richie_gt

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Good work - cutting out soft drink and fruit juice is pretty hard at first. Beer is harder though :)
Yeah I feel like I'm over the first hurdle! Kind of had a bit of a blowout last weekend on the beers...won't be doing the same this weekend!

Congrats.

I cut out soft drink about 3months ago. Was going though over 60 cans of coke a fortnight. Haven't bought any since, but do allow myself a cordial a day at work as need more than water sometimes. Coffee, well, I bought a new machine and am having about 3 a day (double shot) but have dropped out all sugar from them now, used to be a 2 sugar kinda guy.

Working 5 days a week in a trade, gym 3 days a week, cycling training 2 days a week plus riding when I can... Making better food choices... After 2 months my strength had gone up and I was getting up climbs in gears I didn't think I'd be able to, developed a reasonable 6 pack, dropped body fat but maintained weight, feel better, moods mellowed... What's not to like! Lol
That's unreal, sounds like you've got it sorted! How much more fun is riding when you're fitter! Hahaha!

link1896

Mr Greenfield
Cardiovascular system is back into a healthy range. I've a family history of low blood pressure, and my super clean diet wasn't helping it. Consuming salt has brought the systolic blood pressure up from the low 90's to low 100's. My diastolic is low, but isn't an issue according to the Cardio Surgeon I saw a few months ago, who performed an ekg while I rode a stationary bike.

With a systolic BP in the low 90's, getting out of bed fast wasn't fun.

Can still average 160bpm for 2 hrs with peaks of 190.

Last edited:

ButtersNZ

Squid
I dropped 10 kg in 3-4 months leading up to a recent enduro race (having a race to work toward REALLY helps the motivation). Went from 89kg to 79 kg, at 188cm height. Other than more riding mid week, I used a food/calorie tracking app on my phone (myfitnesspal) and aimed for 1500 claories/day. Not as hard as it sounds. I'll use it again in the new year, but December all about the good food.

fridgie

Likes Dirt
Jesus, 4 cans a day ????

Got any teefs left ?
Lol, yeah. Keep regular check ups with my dentist ;)

Had done that for years with the coke, as long as I can remember, plus buying it with lunch etc at work. Nowadays I hardly eat junk food, take lunch every day instead of buying it, track all food etc with myfitnesspal as part of my gym program.

Last check about a month ago had me at 181cm, 74kg and 12% body fat (down from 18% when I started going to the gym). I've let a few things creep back into my diet I probably shouldn't have but figure my output can allow it or I'd drop too much weight.

Finding awesome recipes and meal prepping makes life a lot easier. This is one of my favourite lunches atm, BBQ bulgogi steak bowls..

I'm trying to trim down for the Bobbo ride coming up in 7 weeks, well really looking for a permanent reduction using the Bobbo as a catalyst I guess.

I'm not really concerned about outright weight, BMI is a load of horse hockey with focus now on gut girth, at 79kgs and 5'11" I'm not concerned. But my body fat % has been 19%, now about 18% (as measured by a Garmin scale so maybe accuracy is questionable). Its this number I want to reduce.

What I'm finding difficult is balancing the carbs with the protein. Calorie deficit I have no drama with, can easily bat 400+ calories below my budget, but ensuring I eat enough protein compared to carbs is something I find a challenge. I'll have a protein shake sometimes after riding or surfing, I've read that soon after is a good time for carb/ protein recovery meal and I know I feel a lot better after I have consumed one (immediately and later in the day) but I have no intention of having one every day, getting 150grams of protein is proving to be difficult and I've no idea how to achieve it.

schred

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Shakes are good but not exactly real food. How do you feel about eating eggs, chicken & tuna? e.g. Tuna (in olive oil) through a salad, chicken with sweet potato, poached eggs, fried eggs on toast, or all together in a fish milkshake. Other canned fishy such as herring fillets can be good but taste wise it's more hit & miss.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
I'm trying to trim down for the Bobbo ride coming up in 7 weeks, well really looking for a permanent reduction using the Bobbo as a catalyst I guess.

I'm not really concerned about outright weight, BMI is a load of horse hockey with focus now on gut girth, at 79kgs and 5'11" I'm not concerned. But my body fat % has been 19%, now about 18% (as measured by a Garmin scale so maybe accuracy is questionable). Its this number I want to reduce.

What I'm finding difficult is balancing the carbs with the protein. Calorie deficit I have no drama with, can easily bat 400+ calories below my budget, but ensuring I eat enough protein compared to carbs is something I find a challenge. I'll have a protein shake sometimes after riding or surfing, I've read that soon after is a good time for carb/ protein recovery meal and I know I feel a lot better after I have consumed one (immediately and later in the day) but I have no intention of having one every day, getting 150grams of protein is proving to be difficult and I've no idea how to achieve it.
Who told you you need 150g? that's nearly 2g/kg which is way more than you need.

Freediver

I can go full Karen
A normal person needs about 0.8 grams per kg of lean body mass. An egg has about 7g, a lean 300g steak has about 100g.
Ask Google again.