How do you maintain food discipline?

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Booze maybe? Lots of empty calories. I wasn't at all surprised when I discovered how many calories are in full strength beers.

Pretty much comes down to Energy Expended > Energy Consumed. If I want to eat more or drink more then I have to spend more time burning it off. Gone are the days of surfing/riding and then eating a whole BBQ chicken afterwards lol.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Booze maybe? Lots of empty calories. I wasn't at all surprised when I discovered how many calories are in full strength beers.

Pretty much comes down to Energy Expended > Energy Consumed. If I want to eat more or drink more then I have to spend more time burning it off. Gone are the days of surfing/riding and then eating a whole BBQ chicken afterwards lol.
But...but...the whole chook is a tradition! I've done 2 on occasion...surely they are a paleo health food?

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
Not the moobs!

Trying to only buy fresh and plenty of it. Always have it about, thus, no excuse when I'm hungry, fresh is always available for hoovering.
Yep. I've got a pretty terrible record when it comes self control with food. Now when we do the shopping, nearly all of it is from the perimeter of the supermarket - Fresh meat, Veg, Dairy, Deli and Bakery (actually we don't really eat much bread anyway). I rarely venture into the isles to buy overly processed food. So while it's not strictly calorie counting, it does mean pretty much everything we eat at home is a combination of fresh food. My partner doesn't drink or eat sweets so there's a fairly limited supply around the house. I seem to maintain 80-82 kg @ 5'11".

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Discipline hey? 2 hours on the shovel and axe this afternoon. 2 hours of solid eating in Brazilian restaurant this evening...life would be easier (and cheaper) if I could just get all my meat loving friends to eat there at the same time!

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Hi all,

I'm using Myfitness Pal to track what I eat and I'm measuring and making sure I eat more nutritious food.

I've lost 2kg in two weeks so far! About to break the 100kg mark!!

My best was 92kg when I did 100km rides on my road bike.

For me food discipline comes from accepting one key point: food is for nutrition not recreation.

I'm cutting at the moment. I allowed myself to get up to around 19% body fat while I was bulking for weightlifting. Now I'm in the process of cutting back down to around my goal of 10% while trying to maintain as much muscle mass as possible. This has to be a slow process, definitely no more than 1kg per week of weight loss. I'm 3 weeks in now and I'm down 2.6kg.

I think there's a couple of key points:
1. Set your daily calories and stick to them. There are lots of calculators to figure out your base calorific requirements and the deficit needed to lose weight. For me that means going from 3000 cal/day down to 2400. If you go too low, your metabolism will shut down and you won't lose weight after a couple of weeks.
2. Get your protein/carb/fat levels right. There is an optimal range for each of these and there is a lot of research about it. Fats aren't evil, actually they are critical for testosterone and a number of other processes. Carbs aren't evil either. I'm currently shooting for 300g protein, 70g fat and 145g carbs per day. Timing is critical too and I avoid carbs and fat together. Morning is carbs, pre workout, during workout and after workout are carb meals. All other times are fat meals.
3. Have set meals. It's boring but it works. Every day, without fail I'm eating chicken and peanut butter for lunch. Before I exercise I'm eating chicken and brown rice. Before I go to bed I'm eating cottage cheese and whey. Yea it is repetitive and boring but it makes it easy to stick to.

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
Well that weekend turned out worse than usual on the food front! I was not apocalypse ready, so the fridge and pantry were practically empty. Ate out most of the time (FYI - Hog's Breath is shitter than I had ever imagined) and really just went to town on it as lots of riding makes for a hungry boy).

Back in the saddle this week, natural yoghurt seeds going berries for breakfast and chicken w/veggies brown rice and red lentils for lunch. It's a curry I invented so plenty of kapow! Can anyone tell me how evil or not evil coconut milk is? I'm not drinking it from the can, but you bet I threw some on the curry...and yeah I usually understand balance and moderation.

Haakon

has an accommodating arse
Resisting the hot chips in the cafe downstairs when I have a hangover has proven impossible...

Calvin27

Eats Squid
I find it easier to maintain when you are doing the actual thing you are aiming for. For example if my goal is to drop 2kg to get back in form and hit my pr timesfor a specific climb. I'd keep hittign clibms all day and it reminds me of that goal and especialyl the pain carrying all that extra weight.

I find If I just sit on the couch, it is really easy to not appreciate how much work is required. Cycling is good though,, you burn a lot and can generally have more lax control than other sports.

I'm back to 81.5kg, only thing I ditched was grog. Riding intensity was greater due to the pending event (now done and dusted) so clearly that has helped.

Had 5 beers yesterday and felt like shit, I think staying off the beer will be easier than I thought.

HamboCairns

Thanks for all the bananas
Hot chips and an energy drink :(

I did do a record amount of distance, climbing and intensity on Monday so that will make up for it :)

Hamsta

Likes Bikes and Dirt
I've lost another 4kgs since last posting. I'm now at the point where I will burn 600 calories during a 40-45 minute spin class 4 times per week. Average 220watts and average heart rate is 149...max out at 177-180 and recovery is getting quicker.

Then I go back to work and just do weights....low weights for upper body (heaviest is 17.5kg) but 4 sets of 12 with no rest between sets, rather switch straight to opposing muscle group. Legs is 4 sets of 12 reps @ 80kg 45 degree incline leg press then 4 sets of 12 reps @30kg hammy curls then 4 sets of 12 reps @23.5kg quad curls. I'm warming up on a horizontal rower (750m in 3 mins on level 10) and then stretch at the end of the session.

EDIT Haven't had any alcohol in 5 weeks either

Last edited: