How do you push in pivot bearings ?

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
So my hack worked and I got the bearings out.
The new bearings arrived and I have been tapping them into the yoke but it is tricky to get them in square especially as the SC yoke is quite assymetrical .
I have greased them then used a socket which sits on the outer race and use a hammer .
I have a vice , would that press them in better ?
Has anyone made a press from threaded rod and nuts and washers ?

Staunch

Eats Squid
I used to press my SC lower linkage bearings in the older V10s with a threaded rod, nuts, and washers. It's essentially just the poor man's version of a proper bearing press. As long as you can get symmetrical 360 contact with the bearing, and then with a parallel surface on the other side to ensure the rod is perpendicular, you should have 0 worries.

I have seen the hack of people cutting wooden shims on angles and then drilling holes in the middle to achieve a perpendicular rod if you have some really funky linkage angles, however it depends how much effort you want to put in/how bad the angles are.

yuley95

soft-arse Yuley is on the lifts again
I suspect you are being too careful and just need need to give it a firmer hit once you feel confident its lined up. Of course, it's much easier to say that then to do it. I've only replaced pivot bearings once and I had my mate do the heavy lifting. He's a fitter and turner and has the confidence, skill and experience to get it done. I would have shat the bed before finishing the job if he wasn't there to help.

Bottom line though is that it was all achieved with a hammer and a narrow punch and a couple of bits of timber

teK--

Eats Squid
If you want to get a set of beautifully made dies for every bearing size (full kits available for most frames), see:

Very reasonably priced and fast shipping from UK.

ausdb

Being who he is
If you want to get a set of beautifully made dies for every bearing size (full kits available for most frames), see
Very reasonably priced and fast shipping from UK.
I like how they've based it on a standard dynabolt stud, that's smart

ausdb

Being who he is
That's because people have been using dynabolts to remove bearings for millenia.
Yeah I know, my comment was more it made smart engineering sense to re use the stud and make them more affordable, I guess the other way is to remake the same thing and spruik that it's CNC machined and charge three times the price!
They are also using the same aluminum hex bar for their tool handles as they use to make the collets.

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Yeah I know, my comment was more it made smart engineering sense to re use the stud and make them more affordable, I guess the other way is to remake the same thing and spruik that it's CNC machined and charge three times the price!
They are also using the same aluminum hex bar for their tool handles as they use to make the collets.
I like it when you see good engineering and business in a simple package.

LPG

likes thicc birds
Put the bearings in the freezer for a while to reduce the interference fit. You might even be able to get a bit of heat into the frame with gentle techniques* to make it easy to drop in quickly.I'm not sure of the thermal expansion of carbon but aluminium expands quite a bit with heat.

*Gentle techniques like warm day in the sun or a hairdryer from a safe distance will make a fair difference from the -15 of the freezer

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
managed to bugger one bearing that went in crooked gave up and the nice man at the bike shop had a proper press and did it in 3 minutes.
The problem with the threaded rod and washers is that it is difficult to apply even pressure when the fit is tight and do it before the bearing warms up, at exactly 90 degrees.
Would work if the nut was welded to the washer .
Wheel bearings I have found easy but the next time I have a very tight fit , I would just go to the shop

Dales Cannon

lightbrain about 4pm
Staff member
managed to bugger one bearing that went in crooked gave up and the nice man at the bike shop had a proper press and did it in 3 minutes.
The problem with the threaded rod and washers is that it is difficult to apply even pressure when the fit is tight and do it before the bearing warms up, at exactly 90 degrees.
Wheel bearings I have found easy but the next time I have a very tight fit , I would just go to the shop
90 degrees is too hot. ;)

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
Yes ha ha I asked for that .
I realised the ambiguity and the error of my ways and tactically placed a comma but was too lazy to rephrase it .
Google says “I rode a black horse in red pajamas,”

teK--

Eats Squid
With the dies in the link I posted earlier. It's dead easy as it supports the whole face of the bearing and also locates itself against the centre of the inner race.

rowdyflat

chez le médecin
I often remark to my wife that my striped pyjamas look like the pants from a concentration camp .
Black humour /Bad taste I know, but my ethnicity allows me to make those jokes.

Last edited: