How hard is it to build a wheel?

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
So, how hard is it to build a wheel? Is it some VooDoo science where you've got to be an MIT grad or live in a bong to do it right? Or, is it pretty straight forward, and with the right equipment/tools and practice you can get good results. With 2 young biking kids I can see plenty of lacing and truing in the future, so wondering whether it's worthwhile jumping in boots and all :) What equipment is needed? Tips and suggestions?

0psi

Eats Squid
Building wheels is easy, building good wheels is hard.

All you really need is a truing stand, spoke wrench and a spoke tension meter. *Insert wannabe mechanics saying you don't need a tension meter*

Last edited:

mars mtb

Likes Dirt
100% what Opsi said.

Anyone can build a wheel, but of you have every watched a master wheel builder or someone who is very very good, it is a highly skilled art.

I can mechanically do everything on all of my bikes, but I leave wheels building to the best. It needs experience gained from time in the saddle per se of building wheels.

For example I have 2 sets made by the Gonz that are 5 years old and never been trued and still dead stiff and true, also a couple made by Benny Randall both about 3 years old and dead true, stiff and mint.

Unless you have a penchant to learn yourself, and that is cool too, get a pro, or at the very least ask them if you can sit in, but remember it is not supposed to be a one n one lesson, they are building your wheels, not teaching you.

Good luck.

Last edited:

MARKL

Eats Squid

All you really need is a truing stand, spoke wrench and some a spoke tension meter. *Insert wannabe mechanics saying you don't need a tension meter*
+1 for the tension meter - I am not saying you can't build great wheels without one but the guys that have never used one are just guessing.

A nipple driver will also save time and improve the build.

Sheldon Brown has good info and there is DT Swiss book and DVD. I have the DVD as it was heaps cheaper than the book when I got it - DVD was worth watching before you jump, the guy is more than a little OCD about wheels.

If you are prepared to put the time in you can get really good results that are better than what most shops will achieve.

thecat

NSWMTB, Central Tableland MBC

All you really need is a truing stand, spoke wrench and some a spoke tension meter. *Insert wannabe mechanics saying you don't need a tension meter*
Tension meter:der: F flat tuning fork.

disappearin

Likes Dirt
People like to make out that building good wheels is a black art. In reality it's not that hard. It does take a far amount of practice and the right tools but the only way your ever going to learn is to have a crack at it! You will build some crap wheels in the beginning but stick with it. Practise makes perfect.

0psi

Eats Squid
Tension meter:der: F flat tuning fork.
That only works with Pillar double butted spokes. . . :smash:

Wheel building isn't a black art, just quite difficult to do well. If you are willing to put the time and effort into learning how to do it then it's fairly straight forward. I personally quite enjoy it, I usually lace and dish wheels while watching TV then take them away to finish them off.

redbruce

Eats Squid
+1. Quoted for the truth.

Get Mussons book: wheelbuilders bible.

http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/book.php

It also helps if you are methodical and mechanically adept.

Wheel building isn't a black art, just quite difficult to do well. If you are willing to put the time and effort into learning how to do it then it's fairly straight forward. I personally quite enjoy it, I usually lace and dish wheels while watching TV then take them away to finish them off.
Pretty much the way I do it.

It does take a far amount of practice and the right tools but the only way your ever going to learn is to have a crack at it! You will build some crap wheels in the beginning but stick with it. Practice makes perfect.
Worked for me (and been doing it for 20 years now).

I dont own or use a tensiometer (although I have checked by builds every now and again at the LBS to verify my personal calibration). Correct tension is a range (wider for butted spokes), not a specific value and consistency between spokes is more important than absolute value.

When I used to watch pro wheel builders make wheels, none of them used one either. Haven't observed a pro for a few years so not sure what happens now.

Last edited:

harmonix1234

Eats Squid
I thought it was easy. I was so wrong.
Lacing and getting it true and round isn't hard, but getting it true and round with the right tension on all the spokes is hard.

I rebuilt my rear wheel from scratch after pulling it to pieces, twice, still couldn't get it right.
Got it rebuilt by rone and it hasn't budged a mm. Rock solid.
Better than it was straight our of the box.

moorey

call me Mia

You don't need a wheel stand either. Built wheels that have lasted for 10 years without either.

0psi

Eats Squid
You don't need a wheel stand either. Built wheels that have lasted for 10 years without either.
These wheels. . . . Are they round and have you ever ridden them? :laugh:

Truth be told I once built a wheel using nothing but a screw driver but that wasn't by choice, it wasn't a great wheel and despite appearances I have half a clue how to hold a spanner. Not something I recommend, it did last a weekend of racing though.

moorey

call me Mia
It's was a rear Dh wheel in 2004. Still on the bike and still dead true. Built half a dozen or so without a stand or tensioner. Never had a problem with either. Sick of this "wheel building is wizardry" nonsense talk. I'm a small brained fool and can handle it fine.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
ditto on Roger Mussons wheelbuilding ebook. has some basic plans on how to build a wheel stand and accessories.
I have had a few goes at it, but time is a little too precious at the moment to spend too long getting it right. I laced up the last 4 wheels and got them close, then took to LBS to fine tune.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
There's some great info in this thread.

- Roger Musson's book. Well worth the $$$;
- wheelbuilding not being a black art;
- get a tension meter.

If you're a methodical type of person and can follow directions, wheelbuilding will not be a problem.

You really need nothing more than a spoke spanner, a zip tie and your frame or fork to start building wheels. A Park TM-1 tension meter would be the next thing I'd buy ($70). After that I'd make myself a truing stand.

ajay

^Once punched Jeff Kennett. Don't pick an e-fight
It's interesting to hear people's thoughts on wheel building.

It's not hard, it just takes some patience. I think we are used to being able to fix anything on our bikes with a 5mm Allen Key, and when things go beyond it, suddenly it's an "art". It's a bit silly really! It probably deters a lit of first attempts!

I've never used, or seen a tension meter. Nor have I seen anyone else use one! A decent stand, wrench, some patience and a Miles Davis record is all I've ever used...

NUMBER5

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the responses.... was always gonna work on the kid's wheels first before touching the Chris Kings.. Hahaha. Anyway, doesn't square and wobbly wheels just makes the tikes into better riders? :)

Think I might just start by grabbing that book and seeing what I'm up against :)

dkselw

Likes Bikes
There's some great info in this thread.

- Roger Musson's book. Well worth the $$$;
- wheelbuilding not being a black art;
- get a tension meter.

If you're a methodical type of person and can follow directions, wheelbuilding will not be a problem.

You really need nothing more than a spoke spanner, a zip tie and your frame or fork to start building wheels. A Park TM-1 tension meter would be the next thing I'd buy ($70). After that I'd make myself a truing stand.
Article by Roger Musson on Spoke tension and tensiometers http://www.wheelpro.co.uk/wheelbuilding/admin/spoke_tensiometers.php

mik_git

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Wheel building smeel building, you won't be truly talented till your pumping out snowflake wheels, then you'll know you've mastered it.

0psi

Eats Squid
I think the only reason people think wheel building is a black art is whatever you do somewhere will affect something else.

I think a lot issues stem from getting it wrong in the beginning and trying to fix your mistakes later in the build. I've done it a couple of times rushing to build a wheel and done something not quite right (Ie- hub not perfectly centred) and tried to fix it later in the build, it's a problem that keeps on giving. Fix one bit and something else is out of whack.

http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html

That's a really good reference and should get you started.

One thing people don't really talk about too much is spoke wind up. For your first few builds I'd recommend putting a bit of sticky tape about 2/3rds to 3/4 of the way along the spoke (towards the rim). Have it sticking up like a flag and as you put more tension on the spokes you'll notice that the flags of sticky tape will start rotating when you turn a nipple. This is the spoke twisting. As more tension is put on the spokes there is more friction between the threads of the nipple and the threads of the spoke so when you turn the nipple the nipple and end of the spoke remain in the same orientation but the entire length of the spoke twists. It isn't that big a as the spoke will unwind once you stress it by either jumping on it or riding it. The ping ping you hear with new wheels is the spokes settling and the nipples spinning within the rim as the spokes unwind.

Obviously the thinner the spoke the worse wind up will be. It's also a fairly good way to separate a good builder from a hack. Most good wheel builders don't mind working with aero bladed spokes because they don't have to worry about wind up where as people that don't know what they are doing dislike aero spokes because it's such a pain having to hold the spokes while you work on the wheel.

Hope that made sense, I'm a bit under the weather at the moment so brain isn't functioning as it should. If that just seemed like garbage but you are curious about my ramblings feel free to PM me.

0psi

Eats Squid
Wheel building smeel building, you won't be truly talented till your pumping out snowflake wheels, then you'll know you've mastered it.
Bwahahaha! The coolest piece of shit ever. I'm quite fond of a crows foot lacing myself.

I'm about to tie and solder a set of Stans Race Golds which should be interesting. Might have to experiment on the missuses bike before we hit the nice wheels.