How long is a bike good for?

Ultra Lord

Hurts. Requires Money. And is nerdy.
What’s the old bike, and what are you looking at replacing it with?
I think it’s time to start guilt tripping the missus. Mope around for the next month or two and give her the old silent treatment.
That’ll learn her

David2406

Blueeeeeeeey's on!
Currently on a 2017 Anthem 3, looking at a 2020 Trance 2 on special at $800 off. Runs out on Saturday though.

Not much learning too be had unfortunately lol. She thinks my hard tail is a road bike and wondered why I wanted a dually.

Oh well, was nice to dream and hope, will try again when next years models are released.

fatboyonabike

Captain oblivious
Currently on a 2017 Anthem 3, looking at a 2020 Trance 2 on special at $800 off. Runs out on Saturday though.

Not much learning too be had unfortunately lol. She thinks my hard tail is a road bike and wondered why I wanted a dually.

Oh well, was nice to dream and hope, will try again when next years models are released.
can you ZipPay or any of those other fancy 0%interest type payment plans?

Litenbror

Eats Squid
Yep follow the safety route. My wife schooled me in that one when I wanted a fox proframe but thought it was to much money for the riding I was doing. She explained it very slowly and simply to me that just one trip to the emergency dentist would be double the cost of the helmet and then I would be in a world of pain at home for being cheap on safety gear.

Old bikes have old brakes and outdated geo so lots of over the bars. A new bike is a safety investment so you don't end up in hospital because you had the wrong, worn out gear trying to stay healthy for her.

BT180

Max Pfaff
Agree! That's how my new bike got across the line - It's safer for the style of riding i'm doing; more stability, planted, easier to ride, etc, etc. However, I might have missed the bit where it also makes me push harder and take more risks.

Coopz

Likes Dirt
I bought this Giant Boulder SE back in the late 90s when I was a teenager. Rode it everywhere. 80% onroad but other than tyres and one replacement cassette it never missed a beat, broke or wore out a part and I only sold it the other year just because I had another hardtail I was riding more. Bikes should last decades if your look after them.

Attachments

Paulie_AU

Likes Dirt
In reality should be good as long as you can get parts..... but then only original part may be frame. Personally I intend to switch to ebike as soon as I actually need one (but likely a long time off that given only 40).

Small upgrades are fun though especially the researching and looking for a great deal. I was complaining this arvo to my wife that my current bike runs so well, that without being a bling nerd there is nothing I need to upgrade (am so non upgradeitis I am thinking of building a new mega gaming pc......and I don't play games anymore). At the point that even though I swore off carbon wheels again I am thinking carbon just so I have something to lust for...

David2406

Blueeeeeeeey's on!
Good news, my dear wife has approved the purchase, the sale ended yesterday but the guy in the shop has given it to me at yesterdays price seeing as they had one left in store. One Trance 2 29er being picked up tomorrow or Tuesday. Thanks for the moral support and great ideas. You guys are like the family that I have never had (Ones who understand mtbs anyway) supportive of my needs and dreams. :)

Last edited:

pink poodle

気が狂っている男
That is good news! Now you do realise that you're cock isn't actually going to get any bigger because of the bike right? You'll need Allan to trick the wife so she doesn't catch on.