How many extra links to start with for the chain (11 speed)

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
Howdy,
I'm going from the following on a Santa Cruz Tallboy LT:

32 tooth chain ring
11-42 cassette

to

30 tooth chain ring
11-50 cassettee

How many extra links should I start with?

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
What drivetrain? Shimano 12sp has extra links compared to 11sp and earlier...

moorey

call me Mia
That's what the extra 2 links are for.

However, with the bigger jockeys wheels on the 12 speed RDs and the chain growth possibilities with full suspension, I'd start with an extra 4 links and drop down if the chain is too slack in the smallest cog on the rear.
I interpreted Dan as looping 50t and front ring without Derailleur.

stirk

Burner
@mooboyj don't forget derailleur size!

Heaps of info on the web's and it's the one task I've not fucked up.....yet, you'll be right.

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
Ninja edit, it's 11 speed.

I think 4 extra links would be the place to start?

The current setup shifts faultlessly and is actually really nice, but Tassie and ageing legs...

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
That's what the extra 2 links are for.

However, with the bigger jockeys wheels on the 12 speed RDs and the chain growth possibilities with full suspension, I'd start with an extra 4 links and drop down if the chain is too slack in the smallest cog on the rear.
4 was my guess as well. Or 143.54 cm according to one of the formulas I found.

The Duckmeister

Has a juicy midrange
don’t you wrap around the 50t, and the front chain ring & add 2?
Dumb way of doing it. Doesn't allow for chain growth, nor does it allow any tolerance to increase either chainring or large sprocket.

Better way is chainring & small sprocket, through the derailleur (which is at its most retracted at this point), and pull just enough tension so there's no contact between free chain & the wrap around the top jockey wheel - I usually aim for a finger thickness gap. If there's a possibility you'll change to a smaller ring at some point, cut two extra links off. This method allows scope to increase things as well, and allows enough tolerance for chain growth.