How many extra links to start with for the chain (11 speed)

SummitFever

Eats Squid
...Better way is chainring & small sprocket, through the derailleur (which is at its most retracted at this point), and pull just enough tension so there's no contact between free chain & the wrap around the top jockey wheel - I usually aim for a finger thickness gap...
This method will work IF the derailleur cage length is correct. If your cage is too short for your setup then the chain will be too short in the big cog.

For example, if you use a short cage derailleur and this method with a 11-40T cassette you will run out of chain in the 40t. Doing it based on the biggest cog is safer. If your cage is too short then the chain will be too slack in the 11t but you are not going to damage anything. At that point, you can just fit a longer cage.

Seeing as though most of the time people are fitting larger range rear cassettes, I'd use the big cog method. It's safer.

SummitFever

Eats Squid
Correct. But with your method you potentially end up with a busted or bent rear derailleur as opposed to just a "why is my chain too slack in the 11t?"

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
So added some links and another quick link. The bike has had the air let out of the rear shock and I've compressed it with the 50. As you can also see in the 11 tooth the damn thing is past horizontal and rubs.

stirk

Burner
What size cage is that?
Medium cage I think is max 46 tooth cog.
Derailleur looks like it could be stretched a tiny bit more in the 50t but not likely enough to fix the slack in 11t

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
Might need something like this, but not sure who - if anyone - does one for SLX:

50t wouldn't work on my previous bikes (mid-cage derailleur) without the modified cage unfortunately. With the cage mod done 50t was then fine, but the derailleurs did suffer in time with the extra load to pull up onto the 50t.

Last edited:

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
What size cage is that?
Medium cage I think is max 46 tooth cog.
Derailleur looks like it could be stretched a tiny bit more in the 50t but not likely enough to fix the slack in 11t
I'd say a long cage. Will fiddle again. It was a bit tight in the 50t with less links, but good in the 11. Since adding the links it is good in the 50 fully compresses, but ass in the 11. Might drop a link out...

stirk

Burner
One up make the shark cage for Shimano, I used one the rad cage on 10 speed, it was good.

beeb

Dr. Beebenson, PhD HA, ST, Offset (hons)
One up make the shark cage for Shimano, I used one the rad cage on 10 speed, it was good.

Do they still produce it? It appears discontinued... :(

mooboyj

Likes Dirt
Boom, some more fiddling with the B screw and it's all hookers and blow! Aired up the shock, went up and down my street (it's steep) and shifting endlessly and it's all good. It actually shifts a lot better on the road than the stand.

Now to test it all on Sunday at the Glenorchy MTB Park :) Dickhead thread narrowly avoided ;)