How much sealant for 29er tyres?

martinpb

Likes Dirt
hiya,
i usually use about 2 of the red measuring things that come with a Stan's kit. I'm not sure of the volume, but i've not had any problems with getting a pair of Gtax's to work well on C29ssmax rims.

Slightly off topic, but i did have problems with the original Bontrager tyres blowing clean off the Mavic rims, so i'd be careful of trying to set up those tyres on anything other than a Bonty rim.
Martin

tumble_downs

Likes Dirt
I've had no problem running my 2.1 Aspens on Arch rims with just a 2 oz shot bottle in each tyre. If you're running a wider tyre, or a non-tubeless specific rim, you may want to put a little more in.

Antsonline

Likes Dirt
for my training hoops, I'll run two full red cups.
However, on the race wheels, I'll run as little as possible. Perhaps only 1/2 to 3/4 of a cup. I have a scyringe at home that I fill and use one. I think thats 20ml, but will check later.

I always find it amusing that people (me included) freet over 50grams here or there on tyres, but then pour Stans into their wheels with wanton abandon...

Big JD

Wheel size expert
heaps for me

I put three cups (red stans cup) in each tyre for a fit and forget setup. I weigh 100kgs and use Flow rims. I dont run my wheels tubeless so l can run lower pressures (increase traction) but more to stop the flats so even with true tubeless tyres l always run sealant.
JD

iscarrr

Likes Dirt
Thanks for the replies. Yeah sorry i should have clarified what im using.

Stans crest rims (so tubeless naturally), and maxxis aspen tyres.

I've got the stans syringe too, i actually thought it was 60ml? (might be a couple of different sizes)

Will double check at home.

mtb101

Likes Bikes and Dirt
2 scoops of Stans, not only for sealing but reckon 2 scoops just about lasts for the useful life of tyre.

MountGower

Likes Dirt
G'day

I air up with a small amount of 50/50 latex and water. I hold the wheel horizontally between my palms and spin it over slowly. Then rotate the wheel around a little and spin slowly again. Do that a few times to both wheels, mount them and go for a ride.

For me that seals the bead perfectly and soon after dries out, leaving the latex part of the mix around the bead.

If I puncture I just inject a tiny bit of my home made Deano Magic through the core and air up with a hand pump, or if I'm tired, the CO2.

Cheers.

Stevob

Likes Bikes and Dirt
If I puncture I just inject a tiny bit of my home made Deano Magic through the core and air up with a hand pump, or if I'm tired, the CO2.

Cheers.
Doesn't that defeat the purpose of running tubeless? I thought most people just rotated the puncture to the bottom, waited for it to seal and then added air if required. Removing the core on the trail seems fiddly to me.:confused:

MountGower

Likes Dirt
G'day Stevob

I guess there is many reasons for going tubeless. More grip is probably the big one for me. Someone in a thorn infested area like Adelaide or Perth may rank flat proofing as their number one.

I live in Brisbane where puncturing is not a common problem, so for me it's quite likely that I'll carry around 200g of sealant only to find that I have none active when I puncture or that I need to remove dried up sealant that was never any use to me and replace it with more at what ever the cost when it too may not be needed before it dries.

I find that with no active sealant I reduce weight and use very little sealant. I've only punctured once since going tubeless and used very little to get going again. I also used very little time compared to a tube change.

Running tubeless means different things to different people in different locations. If you have a different list of priorities to me, you will do differently, as you should.

Just one last thing. If you ever have to remove the core on the trail, be patient and let the air out by depressing the valve and then remove the core. It seems really quick to remove the core and let the air out quickly. It's even easier to convince yourself that you have the core under control....and then......woooosh......no more core.

Cheers.