How NOT to race a Win-and-Out............

jasco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
A win and out for those that haven't raced one, is a 7 lap race where the first three laps don't score. On the fourth lap whoever wins the sprint wins the race and can withdraw, then who ever wins the second sprint wins second and can withdraw. I think you can figure out how 3rd and 4th are determined.

This was the sprint event for the last night of FNWTR and I needed to win it to have a chance of moving from 3rd to first on the last night. Here is what unfolded.........

Here we are all rolling out in the first lap, me in the red, second wheel.
wmjsc_8875.jpg

Here I am on the front for the second lap, I swing up at the next bank and drop back a couple to get out of the wind.
wmjsc_8877.jpg

To catch everyone by suprise my tactic from the begining of the race was to go early before anyone else had the chance. And riding a 98" gear, I still had plenty of jump hitting the gas at 45-50 and can usually hold it at full tilt for about two to twoand a half laps.
So I decide to go as we're crossing the line for lap the begining of lap 3. (The blue helmet to in second wheel is the series leader)
wmjsc_8956.jpg

So here we go, time for the wind up!!!
wmjsc_8957.jpg

I was told after the race I put about 30m in them before anyone started to close the gap, but remember I still have to hold it for another 400m.......

Here is the finish line photo for the first sprint:
wmjsc_8958.jpg

FUCK!

Just Look at the smug bastard even poking his tounge out at me.............................

Just kidding, he's actually a really nice guy and seriously out raced me (hence he went on to win the series). He told me after the race that he new I was going to go for the first sprint and was just waiting to grab my wheel, but didn't expect me to go anywhere near as early as I did. ie my tactics were sound, but he's in training for the World Track Masters (which are next week) and had enough fitness to chase me down, hold my wheel and come round me.

OK, I lost the first sprint, I've still got 4 lengths on the feild and a bit of fuel in the tank. Fuck it, I'm going for Second.........................

It's just not my night:
wmjsc_8959.jpg

DOUBLE FUCK!

At this point my legs are so close to exploding it's not funny.
Ahhhhhh bugger it, you only live once and I've got about 10 lengths on the field after the last guts out lap. LET'S GO AGAIN!!

What's a guy gotta do?
wmjsc_8960.jpg

As I'm crossing the line I think I was only doing about 35-40k's I was that blown and it was pretty much momentum that carried me the last half of the lap.
After this I blew up completely and rolled back to the infield and had trouble talking/seeing straight for about 5mins afterwards.* I ended up holding on for 4th in the Div 3 pointscore which I was pretty happy with for my first season at the track and started in Div 5. I'll be back next year to have another crack for sure.

wmjsc_9088.jpg

So Boys and Girls, that's how you don't race a Win and Out!

Attachments

Last edited:

Dreggsy

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hey mate,
Nice report there,
Shame you finished 4th though, it sounded like you had a plan,
oh well its all about experience though.

ScottD

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Least it was NSCC that beat you on the 3rd lap and bloody lucky you beat Docker(NSW kit kid)

Gekigengar

Likes Dirt
hehehehehe . That was a good read. I found it funny how in each finishing photo you seem to be in the exact same inside line everytime. Better luck next time.:)

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
To catch everyone by suprise my tactic from the begining of the race was to go early before anyone else had the chance.
Hmm, I'm getting a strange feeling of deja vu. For you to catch everyone by surprise you'd have not to go early! :p

istepinyards

Likes Bikes
that post/report is
1. longest post ive seen in a long time:D
2. Funny to see the increased pain after ever lap:eek:
3. should have pushed a little harder only half a wheel a lap would have done it:p
4. next time get a little sun on those pins before they are shown in public
Great Report 3 Thumbs up

Last edited:

'Ross

Eats Squid
Looks like everyone just played ya for a fool and got in your draft at the right time? Unlucky you didn't get it the first time.

johnny

I'll tells ya!
Staff member
Top post mate, really good read with pics and all. Look forward to more of the same.

If I could offer some advice, ride harder next time. :p

God I'm a prick...

jasco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Least it was NSCC that beat you on the 3rd lap and bloody lucky you beat Docker(NSW kit kid)
Yeah that's Callum Docker, the kid behind him is is younger brother. Callum dropped from div 2 to div 3 for the night to give his brother a leadout in the races. Not so sporting if you ask me.

And I'm sorry Johnny I'll try harder next time :p I'll have to get on the Team Astana Program ;)

ScottD

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Yeah that's Callum Docker, the kid behind him is is younger brother. Callum dropped from div 2 to div 3 for the night to give his brother a leadout in the races. Not so sporting if you ask me.

And I'm sorry Johnny I'll try harder next time :p I'll have to get on the Team Astana Program ;)
next time give him a hook or something, he deserves it. he is soooooft

Cave Dweller

Eats Squid
www.bodybuilding.com plenty of stuff on there to give you a boost.
Hitting the gym, and doing leg presses in particular, won't help much and can actually be detrimental.

Im no expert, but IMO the best training is to always ride more, sprint harder and longer over time. Thats the best way to train the correct muscle groups.

jasco, how do you get involved in track racing in sydney?

alchemist

Manly Warringah MTB Club
Get a track bike, a CA licence and turn up to the track and race. Check out the Friday Night Winter Track Racing thread for the Farkers track exploits.
http://forums.farkin.net/showthread.php?t=88277
Quite a few of us had a go over winter.

In summer St George Cycle Club race on Monday nights at Hurstville oval and Lidcome-Auburn Cycle Club race Friday nights at Lidcome oval. Both these outdoor tracks are considerable less banked than Dunc Grey so are a little less intimidating (8° verses 12° to 42°).

jasco

Likes Bikes and Dirt
Hitting the gym, and doing leg presses in particular, won't help much and can actually be detrimental.

Im no expert, but IMO the best training is to always ride more, sprint harder and longer over time. Thats the best way to train the correct muscle groups.

Pretty much what Alchemist said.

At first I went down to Tempe Velo with a couple of mates and had a roll around and enjoyed it. Then when FNWTR started at Dunc I went out and raced there for a couple of weeks in Div5 on a day license and slowly moved my way up the grades to Div3.

Next season, the plan is to start in Div3 and maybe make my way to Div1?

As for the leg presses and stuff, they can be really benificial for track. There is only so-many RPM your legs can spin at, after that you need strength. and the bearded terror, Sean Eadie, didn't get those legs just from doing laps of a velo...